Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How many holes do you have pierced in your ears?

How many pierced holes in your ears?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Okay, [MENTION=41474]farouk[/MENTION], you got me on this one. LOL! 3 in each = 6. But in my defense, I've let 4 of them close up. :biggrin

Mizzy:

Thanks for your contrib.! What do you mean, though, by 'got me'? Triple pierced in each lobe can be both gently classy and benign. (What did you mean also by 'in my defense'.)

Thanks anyway; this was always meant to be a more lighthearted thread anyway.

Blessings.

I was just joking, Farouk - because of the conversation on the tattoo thread. LOL! This was my "tattoo" so to speak. I got 4 extra piercings after I turned 18 & it was mostly rebellion. Much like almost getting my nose pierced. My mother's threats to pierce a lot more than my nose worked very well on me that day, however.

I was just joking, Farouk - because of the conversation on the tattoo thread. LOL! This was my "tattoo" so to speak. I got 4 extra piercings after I turned 18 & it was mostly rebellion. Much like almost getting my nose pierced. My mother's threats to pierce a lot more than my nose worked very well on me that day, however.

Mizzy:

Okay! :)

And of course I can't say anything about your relations with your mom, or about your personal preference.

Just the observation, that women double- or triple- piercing their ears has been practised for decades now and has long become such an established preference for many women that very few people would see it remotely as an issue about which to hint at the judgmental, for whatever reason. A bit of perspective: I'm sure that I was aware that women were double- or triple-piercing their lobes in the late 70s already; often, ear piercing is a mother-daughter thing; your mom might not have liked double-/triple-piercing (or so it would appear); not a few moms do like it, though, and have liked it for decades, and for example, a mom and a daughter in about 1979 who might have gone together to get double- or triple piercings, say, at the respective ages of 46 and 19, would today be aged 80 and 53, respectively. So there are young women today with great-grandmothers who have for many years worn double- or triple- piercings. I'm not sure what wider significance this indicates...except to say, those who want it, go for it, those who don't, don't! :)

(Make sense?)

Two cents'. Like I said, a kind of lighthearted thread...

Blessings.

PS: Re the nose piercing you contemplated: though few Fundamentalist preachers will tell you, in Ezekiel 16.12 the Lord Himself gave Zion a nose ring (nose: KJV margin)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it has been practiced for decades now. It was just starting to really trend here when I started begging my mother to let me pierce mine too. That said, my age has just been somewhat revealed. LOL!

PS: Re the nose piercing you contemplated: though few Fundamentalist preachers will tell you, in Ezekiel 16.12 the Lord Himself gave Zion a nose ring (nose: KJV margin)!

If only I had known that when she threatened to skin me alive if I came home with a hole in my nose. :toofunny

Yes, it has been practiced for decades now. It was just starting to really trend here when I started begging my mother to let me pierce mine too. That said, my age has just been somewhat revealed. LOL!

Mizzy:

Well, you alone can vouch for your own personal history regarding the matter! I guess the point can be made, in any case, as to the discussion, that for today's young woman, if her mom, grandmother, etc. themselves have double, triple piercings, then against which of these is she rebelling if she follows suit? And if she's a born again Christian, she might also be a modest, godly person overall. I guess it just goes to show that maybe it's good just to step back a bit sometimes and consider the bigger picture, so to speak, right?

Blessings.

Yeah, I'd like to at some point. Sooner or later.

questdriven:

I think you said you were almost all set to go do it, with one of the ladies from your former church; and then you changed churches. Kind of funny how events are connected and disconnected sometimes, I guess...

Blessings.

Yes, it has been practiced for decades now. It was just starting to really trend here when I started begging my mother to let me pierce mine too.
[MENTION=96523]Mizzy[/MENTION]: Yes, well you'll find the 2nds etc might close up unless you at least occasionally try to put some rings through them and keep them in for a little while, I suppose.

Blessings.

PS: @Deborah13 , maybe your post on my now closed thread would belong better here?

Deborah13 said:
I'd be happy to do it, too. But alas, I have no angels wings. :wave

A pair of solid gold studs to keep the holes open while healing (unless of coarse allergic, then I'd silver), but pure metals.
Disinfect used regular white alcohol (although I'm sure other alcohols would work). Hydrogen peroxide, too. But I did first use a match to sterilize as well, almost forgot that.
Just a regular old sewing needle, although more the size of an embroidery needle. When you buy the needle have the studs to help you with size.
Frost up the earlobe as cold as you stand it, ice cubes.
Some people will use a potato behind the earlobe to keep it from moving. I didn't.
It does hurt a little but nothing to speak of really.

It's worth it, right? you're the expert around here, anyway. Blessings.

OK I don't actually remember how many holes I have in my ears....... I have many allergies and 1 of them is to yellow gold, so when I was 8 I got my ears pierced and hadta let them grow up, we repeated thinking the carat of gold was the issue many different times, moving from 10, to 14, to 24, then finally figured out that it was to yellow gold and had them done one last time and the upper cartlage [misspelled]. So my guess is at least 4 holes in one ear and 5 in the other, I think, I don't remember if we tried silver at some point...... Just remember it was a long 10 years of me wanting to wear dangly ear rings like my friends and then when I finally could wear ear rings without infections I eventually let them grow up bc I got lazy on keeping them in lol...........

I have one in each but bp longer wear ear rings. When I started my job 9 years ago as a teachers aide. It's not allowed in school.

I have one in each but bp longer wear ear rings. When I started my job 9 years ago as a teachers aide. It's not allowed in school.

jeff77: Okay, I see. It's necessary and good to follow dress codes, anyway, whether or not they seem to make sense always. But I don't think that ear piercing is any more exclusively female than tattooing is exclusively male; 59% and in some areas 70% of parlor clients are female in North America now; I think you said your wife has tats; and presumably she wouldn't find your ear piercings problematic. So I wonder if your school's policy would ever be revisited? :chin

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, guess what? It's only the teachers and staff that can't have piercings except earrings for females. The students can have as many as they want and there is not much of a dress code. The students can wear pretty much whatever they want. Every now and then if a student is wearing a shirt with some provocative words or a girl with too much skin showing, then they will be ask to change.

Well, guess what? It's only the teachers and staff that can't have piercings except earrings for females. The students can have as many as they want and there is not much of a dress code. The students can wear pretty much whatever they want. Every now and then if a student is wearing a shirt with some provocative words or a girl with too much skin showing, then they will be ask to change.

jeff77:

Well, okay, I see.

Anyway, I guess for you and your wife, whether you have to avoid wearing earrings at your place of work, and whether she has to cover her tattoos at her place of work, the fact is that ear piercing is hardly restricted to females any more, right? And tattoos are certainly - and absolutely - not restricted to males any more, either, right?

You're probably not the only male staff member with pierced ears, anyway.

Blessings.

So folks, if he wanted to, would you let your son pierce one ear? or both of them?

I don't have a son, so it's kind of a moot question. If I did have a son, it would depend on what age he is and his level of maturity. 16 years old and doing good.... He's good to go. Younger than that we would have to have a discussion. At 18, he can do what he wants with his ear lobes.

So folks, if he wanted to, would you let your son pierce one ear? or both of them?

I don't have a son, so it's kind of a moot question. If I did have a son, it would depend on what age he is and his level of maturity. 16 years old and doing good.... He's good to go. Younger than that we would have to have a discussion. At 18, he can do what he wants with his ear lobes.

Thanks, [MENTION=89337]Slider[/MENTION]!

On the specific aspect of doing one, or both ears, in general terms: traditionally girls do both ears, one each side (whether or not they subsequently get more, later).

You referred to 16 etc., also.

Do you have any general comment about the suitability of one or both ears?

Blessings.

Yep.... Did you want a comment on that? It's just the age I picked.... No Bible reference, just my opinion. The Bible doesn't say either way, so my opinion is perfectly fine in my household.

Back in the 80's (and before that) men could get the left ear pierced. Today, it seems that it is socially acceptable to have them both pierced. I've seen pro wrasslers and NFL guys with both pierced. Am I going to make fun of them to their face? Nope!

The flesh don't matter. If the Bible says they are wrong, then I have something to say. If the Bible says it's covered by grace, then I don't have anything to say about it.

Yep.... Did you want a comment on that? It's just the age I picked.... No Bible reference, just my opinion. The Bible doesn't say either way, so my opinion is perfectly fine in my household.

Back in the 80's (and before that) men could get the left ear pierced. Today, it seems that it is socially acceptable to have them both pierced. I've seen pro wrasslers and NFL guys with both pierced. Am I going to make fun of them to their face? Nope!

The flesh don't matter. If the Bible says they are wrong, then I have something to say. If the Bible says it's covered by grace, then I don't have anything to say about it.

Slider:

Thanks a lot, you're right, often men and boys do both ears, and I guess there is something neat and symmetrical to do both. It used to be one ear, previously, like you say.

Re. 16, I hadn't thought of specifically asking more, but feel free to comment, too. I guess that at 16 they are almost adult but not quite. It's really at that age kind of a rite of passage gradually into the adult world, I suppose, right?

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back