Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study How Many People Realize Matthew 11:28-30?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

WalterandDebbie

Sabbath Overseer
3-12-23

Matthew 11:28-30
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Thoughts?
Read full chapter

The Powerful Meaning Of Matthew 11:28-30 (my yoke is easy meaning)

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you

Love, Walter and Debbie

3-12-23

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Thoughts?
Read full chapter

The Powerful Meaning Of Matthew 11:28-30 (my yoke is easy meaning)

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you

Love, Walter and Debbie

Hello there, Walter. Hope you have been blessed!

I read the article, and if I can interject a little something, the burden He was speaking of may have been related more directly to the strict religious burdens the Pharisees were placing on others (Matthew 23:4). In a preceding passage in Matthew 11, He stated this:

16 “But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their companions, 17 and saying: ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance. We mourned to you, and you did not lament.’ 18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is deemed right by her children.”

They did not respond to either Him or John the Baptist because they were judgmental, and constantly criticizing others for their supposed "sins" even when they were imaginary. Jesus was not doing this to others, and even forgave a woman caught in adultery. Though His standards were actually much higher where sin was concerned, He was not quick to condemn, and was thus telling the multitudes to learn from Him and follow the same example. When one is constantly condemning, he will find no rest for his soul. When he is forgiving, the burden he walks with on a daily basis becomes much lighter.

Just my two cents. God bless, and hope you are well.
- H

Thoughts? Many. But here's just one: The last three verses of Matthew 11 are best understood if they are attached to the immediate context in which they stand:

Matthew 11:25-30 (NASB)
25 At that time Jesus said, "I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants.
26 "Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight.
27 "All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.
28 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

What is the "yoke" of Christ? He hints at what it is when he said "and learn of me" (vs. 29). The "yoke" of Christ is first and foremost a "yoke" of knowledge which is something Jesus makes pretty clear in his preface to his call to take up his "yoke." He had just declared that God had hidden from the "wise and intelligent" (probably a reference to the Pharisees and scribes) the truth to which Christ's miracles testified (vs. 21-25), which was that he was the "Expected One," the promised Messiah of Israel, as he had implied very clearly at the beginning of chapter 11 in his response to John the Baptist's inquiry (vs. 2-6). This knowledge, this truth, and the divine wisdom that Jesus as the Messiah possessed (vs. 27), he was offering to any who would be "yoked" to him.

As those who learned from Christ the truth of God and understood the liberty from the burden of pharisaical law-keeping that Christ would usher in through the New Covenant, they would settle into a rest from the burden of a law-centered relationship with God not available to them in the Old Covenant and Mosaic Laws.

John 8:31-36 (NASB)
31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
33 They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, 'You will become free'?"
34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.
35 "The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.
36 "So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Romans 7:4 (NASB)
4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

First and foremost, then, the "rest" that Christ's Jewish audience would find in him was a rest from the burden of relating with God through law-keeping. Instead, through the "new and living way" Jesus would accomplish by the sacrifice of himself for the sins of mankind (Hebrews 9-10:22), he would reconcile Man to God entirely apart from OT law-keeping.

It was not, of course, only freedom from the burden of law-keeping that people could find in being "yoked" to Christ but also freedom from the penalty and power of Sin (1 Corinthians 1:2, 30; 2 Corinthians 5:17-21; Romans 6:1-11) and eternal peace with God (Romans 5; Ephesians 2:12-22). As well, those "yoked" to Christ would find in him, in the Spirit of Christ who would come to dwell within them (Romans 8:9-16), an Agent of change who would transform them, conforming them to the will and way of God in a manner they could not achieve on their own. In the Spirit, they would find not only power, but wisdom (John 16:13; John 14:26), comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3-5), and direct, intimate communion with God (1 Corinthians 1:9; 2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 John 1:3).

Initially, though, all of these things would come to those united with Christ under his "yoke" in the form of knowledge, divine truth, only available to them in him, their Messiah. This, then, is the primary meaning of the "yoke" of which Christ spoke in Matthew 11:28-30.

Last edited:
3-13-23

Hi You All, In Matthew 11:28-30, after thinking and praying,

Woe on Unrepentant Towns​

20 Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. 21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. 23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades.[e] For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 24 But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”

The Father Revealed in the Son​

25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.

27 “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Love, Walter

Hello there, Walter. Hope you have been blessed!

I read the article, and if I can interject a little something, the burden He was speaking of may have been related more directly to the strict religious burdens the Pharisees were placing on others (Matthew 23:4). In a preceding passage in Matthew 11, He stated this:

16 “But to what shall I liken this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their companions, 17 and saying: ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance. We mourned to you, and you did not lament.’ 18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look, a glutton and a winebibber, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ But wisdom is deemed right by her children.”

They did not respond to either Him or John the Baptist because they were judgmental, and constantly criticizing others for their supposed "sins" even when they were imaginary. Jesus was not doing this to others, and even forgave a woman caught in adultery. Though His standards were actually much higher where sin was concerned, He was not quick to condemn, and was thus telling the multitudes to learn from Him and follow the same example. When one is constantly condemning, he will find no rest for his soul. When he is forgiving, the burden he walks with on a daily basis becomes much lighter.

Just my two cents. God bless, and hope you are well.
- H
Thank you, my friend, We have been doing well, it is a good thing for His mercies, I must find your name and place it in my folder.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:
Thoughts? Many. But here's just one: The last three verses of Matthew 11 are best understood if they are attached to the immediate context in which they stand:

25 At that time Jesus said, "I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants.
27 "All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.
29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.

What is the "yoke" of Christ? He hints at what it is when he said "and learn of me" (vs. 29). The "yoke" of Christ is first and foremost a "yoke" of knowledge which is something Jesus makes pretty clear in his preface to his call to take up his "yoke." He had just declared that God had hidden from the "wise and intelligent" (probably a reference to the Pharisees and scribes) the truth to which Christ's miracles testified (vs. 21-25), which was that he was the "Expected One," the promised Messiah of Israel, as he had implied very clearly at the beginning of chapter 11 in his response to John the Baptist's inquiry (vs. 2-6). This knowledge, this truth, and the divine wisdom that Jesus as the Messiah possessed (vs. 27), he was offering to any who would be "yoked" to him.

As those who learned from Christ the truth of God and understood the liberty from the burden of pharisaical law-keeping that Christ would usher in through the New Covenant, they would settle into a rest from the burden of a law-centered relationship with God not available to them in the Old Covenant and Mosaic Laws.

31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
33 They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, 'You will become free'?"
34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.
35 "The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.

4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

First and foremost, then, the "rest" that Christ's Jewish audience would find in him was a rest from the burden of relating with God through law-keeping. Instead, through the "new and living way" Jesus would accomplish by the sacrifice of himself for the sins of mankind (Hebrews 9-10:22), he would reconcile Man to God entirely apart from OT law-keeping.

It was not, of course, only freedom from the burden of law-keeping that people could find in being "yoked" to Christ but also freedom from the penalty and power of Sin (1 Corinthians 1:2, 30; 2 Corinthians 5:17-21; Romans 6:1-11) and eternal peace with God (Romans 5; Ephesians 2:12-22). As well, those "yoked" to Christ would find in him, in the Spirit of Christ who would come to dwell within them (Romans 8:9-16), an Agent of change who would transform them, conforming them to the will and way of God in a manner they could not achieve on their own. In the Spirit, they would find not only power, but wisdom (John 16:13; John 14:26), comfort (2 Corinthians 1:3-5), and direct, intimate communion with God (1 Corinthians 1:9; 2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 John 1:3).

Initially, though, all of these things would come to those united with Christ under his "yoke" in the form of knowledge, divine truth, only available to them in him, their Messiah. This, then, is the primary meaning of the "yoke" of which Christ spoke in Matthew 11:28-30.
Amen Brother,
John 1:12
  • According to 2 sources

John 1:12, But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: (John 1:12, KJV). As I was growing up, I was taught that in order to become a child of God, I must accept Jesus as my personal savior, and John 1:12 was one of the most commonly used passages used to prove the point.

John 1:12 - To As Many As R

bible.ca
John 1:12 New King James Version 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the [ a]right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:

But as many as received Hi

biblegateway.com

Love, Walter

The image of Matthew 11:28-30 is that of oxen. He is the one who leads His "oxen", who learn from Him that their way is now easy and light and they can stop struggling, as they did under another driver.

Many would rather run away and wallow in their misery instead of running to the throne of Gods grace being given rest in the Lord.
True, because you must take off the old yoke of sin and ungodliness, and some people like that. I've even heard that it's a thing that why people don't leave abusive relationships is because they become attached to their abuser. So some of us are so attached to sin and it's abuse to us we don't want to leave it and try the new thing God is doing (Isaiah 43:19).

And worst most if not all believe that sin is serving them! And it's more pleasurable to sin than to serve God. And I unhypocritcally say that because that's my BIGGEST struggle. Desiring God over sin, please pray for me...

True, because you must take off the old yoke of sin and ungodliness, and some people like that. I've even heard that it's a thing that why people don't leave abusive relationships is because they become attached to their abuser. So some of us are so attached to sin and it's abuse to us we don't want to leave it and try the new thing God is doing (Isaiah 43:19).

And worst most if not all believe that sin is serving them! And it's more pleasurable to sin than to serve God. And I unhypocritcally say that because that's my BIGGEST struggle. Desiring God over sin, please pray for me...
None of us are perfect and have our struggles with the flesh at times, but we come to the throne of grace to help us with that which we struggle with. You are in my prayers.

We are doing well. It's been a year now since hubbies accident and he is still mending but able to do some things as he builds up his strength. It's all good and thank you for asking. Praying all is well with all of you. :)
Yes for_his_glory, The Lord gives us strength for our needs, glad to hear that you and your hubby are mending with some things, and you are welcome, we will still be in prayer for you all. :clap

Love, Walter and Debbie

Last edited:
This comment is not totally developed yet.
“The leaves are for the healing of the nations.”

The Christian goes through life depending on God. The rod and staff are thought about, and commented made. The nations just have our sighs/comments to learn from. Hidden things (from creation) are hidden till revealed.

The stories of our breath are really like leaves. In and out. If our eyesight is healed or if not, the grace of God is still with us. Paul sought healing but still was given rest/dependence when it was not restored.

At the last trump total change does come.

I wonder if I said anything?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

The Christian goes through life depending on God. The rod and staff are thought about, and commented made. The nations just have our sighs/comments to learn from. Hidden things (from creation) are hidden till revealed.

The stories of our breath are really like leaves. In and out. If our eyesight is healed or if not, the grace of God is still with us. Paul sought healing but still was given rest/dependence when it was not restored.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Nothing that is very clear, at least to me.

Jesus shows He is hidden from the wise and prudent and revealed to babes.

Those babes come to Christ ( that is who He is revealed to and who He calls) away from the leaders of the people, scribes, Pharisee and lawyers.

They bind heavy burdens grievous to be borne, and do nothing themselves ( only talk like on forums) and they take away the keep of knowledge, they don't enter heaven and hinder others trying to.)

This is rest to the souls for the babes, away from the " wise and prudent"

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.
27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Matthew 23:2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Hello eddif, How are you? Quite well, thank you.

Walter

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back