Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How much do things cost where you live?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
C

Chris

How much do items you use cost in your country where you live? I thought it would be cool to compare. Things like-

Bananas
Apples
Petrol-gas
Meat
Wine/beer
Clothes like jeans etc
Coke 1.25 liter bottle
Bread
DVD to hire or internet live stream movie
Coffee

Many of the items you list have a lot of variations such as what cuts of meat your referring to or the type of clothing (designer vs. other) etc. But I did a quick online search at local outlets for some and here's what I found. Note these prices are in USD.

Bananas - $.79/lb.
Apples - Braeburn $1.59/lb.
Petrol-gas - $3.649/gal.

Meat -
  • Beef rump roast - $4.09/lb.
  • 85% lean gr. beef - $3.99/lb.
  • New York strip beef steak - $11.99/lb.
  • Top sirloin beef steak - $6.99/lb.
  • Whole chicken friers - $2.40/lb.
  • Whold pork ham - $2.49/lb.
Wine/beer - 12-pack cans of Miller Genuine Draft - $9.99
Clothes like jeans etc
Coke 1.25 liter bottle
Bread - $3.00 for 1lb, 4 oz. loaf sliced.
DVD to hire or internet live stream movie - $7.99/mo. for streamed video.

Coffee - lots of variation but these are some of the lower ones
  • 34.5 oz. can - $10.49
  • 12 oz. whole beans - $6.79

Bananas $2.15 lb
Apples
Petrol-gas $ 3.99
Meat
hamburger $3.08
ribeye st $ 7.99
Wine/beer
Clothes like jeans etc
Coke 1.25 liter bottle PEPSI please .99
Bread good sour dough $4.69
DVD to hire or internet live stream movie
Coffee Yuban 33oz can $ 8.78

How much do items you use cost in your country where you live? I thought it would be cool to compare. Things like-

in US$
Bananas - 49¢/lb
Apples - $1.99/lb right now (out of season)
Petrol-gas - $3.90, I think? Unleaded regular.
Meat - 90% lean ground beef= $2.49/lb, boneless chicken= $1.99/lb, salmon= $4.99/lb (frozen)
Wine/beer - $5/sixpack cheapo stuff, $12/6 yummy stuff. Wine $8 to $35 for typical.
Clothes like jeans etc off name $18, brand name $30
Coke 1.25 liter bottle - 2-liter= $1.25
Bread - $1.20
DVD to hire or internet live stream movie - $1
Coffee - $2.49 11-oz can ground

Ha, Chris, you're not only getting these in US$, but also in non-metric measurements!

In Australian dollars (which are similar to US dollars at the moment) and in metric measurements, here are mine, although they'll probably be similar to you, Chris.

Bananas $13.99/kilo (because a lot of banana crops got wiped out in a cyclone. Normally they're between $2 and $4/kilo, if you know where to go ;))
Apples $3-5 / kilo
Petrol-gas - Unleaded $1.30-45/litre, Diesel $1.40-50/itre
Meat depends on what cut, leg of lamb $27/leg, mince $11-12/kilo
Wine/beer wine $18-20/bottle, beer $40-60/24 case
Clothes like jeans etc depends, cheap department stores $30-60, but mroe expensive designers can get in the hundreds
Coke 1.25 liter bottle on special perhaps $1
Bread $2-3
DVD to hire or internet live stream movie DVD hire at video shop, new release, 3 night hire about $5, weekys are about $2.50
Coffee $4-5, about 400g

bananas 59 cents per pound.
apples in fall $14 abushel from local orchard
Gasoline $3.75 a U. S. Gal
Meat from local farmerss Beef 2.79 per lb all cuts even t-bones if you buy a quarter of a cow ,chickens $1.00 from local farms. pork steak 1.79 from farmers. pork and chicken not bulk price.Others covered store prices so I figured I'd cover what I pay from farmers. Jeans and clothing are the sames as the others said same with coffee. I don't buy beer orw ine so I have no idea the price.

I have no idea. 1. I've not been in a store in years. 2. I always put an amount away first then spend what's left including what I give back to God.
If there is anything left after spending, that goes in the "away" account. I don't buy things I don't need, but I keep want's down to the 30 day test. If I want something 30 days after I first thought I did then I might buy it. I don't make a ton of money, but this principle of spending allows me to be debt free and not worry about the cost of stuff. The items we need to function, food and energy cost are all subject to market forces. not much anyone can do about the cost, but cut back where possible.

wine cheap as water here 2 liters is $10 clean skins-(no flashy packaging) $ 5 a bottle. Port wine even cheaper.
beer is $30-40 a case of either 24 bottles or 30 cans. More for boutique ones

bananas $6- $12 a kg (only expensive because of cyclone normally they are cheap)
petrol (gas) $1.39/l = $5.38 a gallon

mandarins about 12 a big box.

a song iTunes = $1.29 (it was over $2 a couple of years ago, they finally stopped ripping is off a little bit).

carrots a bag about a dollar.

$2 for 2 liter bottle of coke at supermarket on special - $4+ at gas station.
Coke 1.25 liter bottle normally $2.30-$2.50

hamburger $4.50

cup of cappuccino coffee $3-$5

chicken breast 10- $12 a kilo

hire new release dvd overnight $5-7 from dvd store. - same as itunes in Australia ( that's why i was thrilled with Netflix) :) You guys in the USA are spoiled lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Northern Sydney....nough said.

Wine is reasnable. In fact a nice bottle of sparkling is easily under $20. Beer is more expensive. I"ll revise my original case price at $30-50/24pk. I don't usually go out and buy cases though.
lol north Sydney- air is expensive there. I am in Newcastle things are a little cheaper here. i remember down at the Rocks in sydney last year a guy in a store wanting to charge me over 5 bucks for a really cheap ice block, it was a paddle pop or something. it was well over double what you pay here. Just coz its a tourist place. Its such a nice place to visit that part of Sydney. manly is too.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol north Sydney- air is expensive there. I am in Newcastle things are a little cheaper here. i remember down at the Rocks in sydney last year a guy in a store wanting to charge me over 5 bucks for a really cheap ice block, it was a paddle pop or something. it was well over double what you pay here. Just coz its a tourist place. Its such a nice place to visit that part of Sydney. manly is too.
:lol Northern Sydney, not North Sydney. Not quite as expensive as North Sydney. :biggrin

Back