Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How much should a pastor make?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
May the bishops chew the cud to digest tough scriptures, and remove the husk of the word with cloven hoofs. A workman is worthy of his hire.

eddif

I don't remember for sure but if my memory is accurate I think our pastor's salary is less than $30,000.00 and we recently celebrated his 30th years as our pastor. He doesn't want any more than what we pay him. His explanation is that he doesn't feel he needs any more than an entry level pastor would make so he's content with what we pay. At first one might think $30K is not much but when you factor in that he doesn't pay for his home, maintenance on his home, retirement, his own health insurance, and he gets a mileage allowance his income probably adds up to a pretty fair amount.
He is humble.That is what I like to see for a Pastor teaching God's Word.

Or even non-mega's. :shades Have you ever watched that show, Preachers of LA? One pastor in that reality series has numerous high end cars, including a Bentley. (Would Jesus drive a Bentley? I'd love to ask that pastor this.) They're not anywhere near to the capacity as Joel Osteen. Who is reported to not accept a salary, but what would be that income, is put back into the church.
While he survives himself and his family on his publications.

I think a pastor should certainly be in line with what his parishioners can afford so that he lives with them, not above them. While his private income, that what is like unto what Osteen accomplishes in publishing royalties, should be his or her own. Because the more one has the more they can do for those who have so very little.
Never watched the show myself, but I think pastors that drive Bentlys and such are really a small minority and far from the norm. Considering what is required of the job, the education requirements most churches stipulate, and the amount of hours and such that is demanded, most pastors in the U.S are far underpaid. I agree 100% that for the average full time pastor, the congregation should pay him an amount that lets him live a similar lifestyle to what is average for that congregation. If they are a small or new congregation that can't afford to do that they really need to rely more on volunteers to fill in where possible and hire a part time pastor. This is done in a lot of rural communities all the time, and many of the jobs a pastor does can and maybe should be done by other congregation members anyway.

I would too, they would probably have to kill me to get me out of it.
I wouldn't go that far. Considering the price tag on a 2015 Rolls could save, if one had the cash in hand, the lives of countless poor in and around the area where a pastor who could buy such a car lives.

Is a pastor allowed to have one of these ?
What's your point? Surely your not implying this is a typical pastor's car in the United States, are you? This picture wasn't even taken in the US. How do you even know this belongs to a pastor?

The point is should a pastor be rich enough to purchase these things, I am surprised that you didn't get that.

The point is should a pastor be rich enough to purchase these things, I am surprised that you didn't get that.
I got it. I just don't think you are being realistic.

Do you think a congregation should pay a pastor a sufficient wage that he can live a similar lifestyle to what they live? Would that be fair? Or should the one who works to enhance our spiritual well-being be condemned to relative poverty for his efforts on our behalf?

There is no indication that either the car or plane that you posted was owned by any pastor, and even if they were, that would be an extremely rare exception to the rule. But even so, if this was the case, and the pastor was serving a congregation where the standard of living was actually that high and his average congregation members could afford these things as their own personal property (not corporate perks), why shouldn't the pastor be paid a salary that allows him the same? What he does with that salary is between him and God, not for us to dictate.

No bro I don't think you get it, because pastors own these things many of them own these things. And who said that the pictures that I posted were the actual Rolls and Lear Jet that a pastor owns. I was giving a example. Why because many pastors own these things. I am not willing to make a big thing out of this, because what I said is the truth many pastors own those things. And it matters to me none' that they own these things. All I did was ask a question.

Oh I forgot to add, my pastor can afford a Rolls Royce, I don't know about the Lear Jet, but he can afford a Rolls. And if he gets one I am cool with that.

No bro I don't think you get it, because pastors own these things many of them own these things....
Very well, I didn't know this. Please show me evidence of how many own these things then. Or show me what percentage of pastors worldwide own these things and paid for them from their salaries as a pastor. When you say "many of them" I'm expecting you to have some evidence available showing a pretty convincingly high number of them considering just how many pastors there are in the world.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back