Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How to approach reading the Bible in its entirety?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Silmarien

I've read bits and pieces in the past, but I'm hoping to do a full readthrough now. My only question is whether to start with the Old Testament or the New Testament.

My preference would be to start with the New Testament--it seems more foundational than the Old Testament, and I'm honestly really interested in reading it in its entirety right now regardless of how much I end up believing. I do intend to get to the Old Testament too, of course, but... I'm familiar with what's in there and I know picking it as a starting place is only going to cause me problems.

Would I be missing too much context starting with the New Testament? Is there a preferred order to reading through the Bible that isn't immediately obvious?

Though I am not a Christian I have read through the whole bible seven times and am still regularly reading it. I used to just do a one year plan that included some OT some psalms and some NT each day. Now, I just begin by reading the books written first and finish with the books written last.

Though I am not a Christian I have read through the whole bible seven times and am still regularly reading it. I used to just do a one year plan that included some OT some psalms and some NT each day. Now, I just begin by reading the books written first and finish with the books written last.
Would you say that your experience has distanced or brought you closer to understanding the Truth?

Ok. So Truth is reliable independent of whether you or I or anyone else recognizes(believe) it. That's just an aspect of Truth, Truth requires no acknowledgement. Otherwise it wouldn't be a Truth. It would just be what you believe vs what I believe.

You give the impression that you are on a search for Truth (that which can be trusted). That might imply that some, if not many, of your previous beliefs were not trustworthy and that you are in the process of weeding out the unreliable teachings/beliefs that you have and hoping to replace them with something at least more reliable. Good! I think studying the Bible is the best way to get a reliable worldview.

You are not a Christian though you’ve read the Bible 7 times?
Does that mean you are not believing what you are reading?
Or you’re not understanding what you are reading?
Otherwise, I’m curious, ‘why keep reading it?

Somebody once taught me that the better one understands Exodus, the better one will understand the NT. I’ve spent a lot of time in Genesis and Exodus and it has certainly helped.
That being said, we all read commentary. Some of the hardest commentary on Exodus that I’ve read is from a fellow RAMBAN.

The book of Exodus in Hebrew is called Shemot, which means the book of names. They call it Shemot because it starts, These are the names…and the 12 tribes are listed”. As such, Shemot is more about identity. When you extend that thought out, it’s about maintaining one’s identity in exile.

I believe you are going through a transition in your life right now. I don’t know your background and I don’t know if the Baptist church you grew up in was legalistic etc, but there may be a chance that leaving that faith may have been one of the best things for your relationship with God.

In Genesis, Jacob angered his brother and his brother wanted to kill him. As he fled, he cuts a deal with God and basically says, “if you save me from harm, I will serve you”. Later, he wrestles with God and walks away with a physical limp.

It’s ok that your wrestling with your faith…. Just be careful that you don’t get sucked into the logical fallacies most atheists purport and never harden your heart.

You are not a Christian though you’ve read the Bible 7 times?
Does that mean you are not believing what you are reading?
Or you’re not understanding what you are reading?
Otherwise, I’m curious, ‘why keep reading it?
Yeah, that's right. Here's what atheist professor Dr. Robert Price says: "I love the Bible. I have dedicated my life to the study of it." Do I believe what I'm reading? Well, I doubt most to all of its historical and theological claims. However, it is a very interesting book, with many wise and moral sayings. Yes, I do think I'm understanding it. Why do I keep reading it? Because it is an extremely important book and I need to know it well.

Also, I am going to say something that'll be controversial here, but: I do not consider the Torah a Christian book. It is a Jewish book. The New Testament rips Torah passages and pastes them into its own worldview. Matthew especially constantly misquotes the Torah ("out of Egypt I called my son"? Really? That is obviously the EXODUS, an eminently Jewish event - not Jesus fleeing to Egypt). Therefore I do not relate regular reading of the Torah to Christianity.
I don’t know if the Baptist church you grew up in was legalistic.
The church excommunicated my entire family after my parents got divorced. Call that legalism if you wish.

Last edited:
For starters if you just read through, are even able to read through the 4 Gospels of the N.T. you'd be doing good.

I challenged a friend of mine many years ago to do the above. He wasn't saved at the time. But assured me he could easily read through the 4 Gospels. I gave him one of my Bibles, and paper clipped the 4 Gospels together to mark them for him.

He said fear not! I read the book Hawaii! It's 700 pages!

A few months later I asked him how he was doing on the reading. He was seriously, not ABLE to get through those 4 Gospels. He said it was the strangest thing when he started reading, it was like the words just weren't coming to him, he couldn't understand it, and it would almost put him to sleep.

Didn't surprise me. Romans 11:8 is a working reality to this day.
Was he trying to read the KJV? Maybe get him a more modern translation like the ESV, NIV, NLT. I've noticed that most churches/pastors are now using those versions. It's just a thought that might help.

Yeah, that's right. Here's what atheist professor Dr. Robert Price says: "I love the Bible. I have dedicated my life to the study of it." Do I believe what I'm reading? Well, I doubt most to all of its historical and theological claims. However, it is a very interesting book, with many wise and moral sayings. Yes, I do think I'm understanding it. Why do I keep reading it? Because it is an extremely important book and I need to know it well.
I know you most likely aren't reading this but for those who do...
Would you find this interesting?...

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (Joh 14:6)

Also, I am going to say something that'll be controversial here, but: I do not consider the Torah a Christian book. It is a Jewish book. The New Testament rips Torah passages and pastes them into its own worldview.
Considering all the Apostles and Jesus were Jewish, I would find your assertion rather suspect, especially when we see hundreds of fulfilled prophecies from the OT fulfilled in the NT.

My method has to do with a daily Bible regimen wherein I read all of the epistles in the course of a week; the gospels, Acts, and Revelation in the course of about a month; and all of the Old Testament in the course of about three times every two years; some thing being read more frequently than others.

Of the epistles:

Day 1: 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, 1 Peter, 2 Peter; John 4:13-14, 6:35, 7:37-39, John 6:47, 5:24, 6:37, 8:31-36, 10:27-30, 11:25-27; in preparation for James; then Romans 2:25 - the end of chapter 8, Hebrews 10, Jude.
Day 2: Romans
Day 3: 1 Corinthians
Day 4: 2 Corinthians
Day 5: Galatians - Colossians, Revelation 2:17 - the end of chapter 3
Day 6: 1 Thessalonians - Philemon
Day 7: Hebrews.

Of the gospels, Acts, and Revelation:

Matthew, 4 chapters a day.
Mark, 4 chapters a day
Luke, 4 chapters a day
John, 3 chapters a day
Acts, 4 chapters a day
Revelation, 1-5, 6-10, 11-16, 17-22.

In the Old Testament, 1 chapter a day in each of the following sections:
Genesis - Deuteronomy
Joshua - 2 Kings
1 Chronicles - Esther
Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon (when I reach Job 40, I usually read 41 and 42 the same day so that I can read in conjunction with the 20 chapters that compose Ecclesiastes and Song of Solomon)
Isaiah - Daniel
Hosea - Malachi.

I don't always read in the Old Testament but I do so when I have some extra time and feel like doing so. This keeps the reading down to an acceptable level so that it is not overwhelming. I would suggest always reading the epistles and if you are tired, you can also skip your reading in the gospels, Acts, and Revelation; and / or the Old Testament (which amounts to seven chapters a day).

This reading schedule will help you to become rooted and grounded in the doctrine of the epistles.

Was he trying to read the KJV? Maybe get him a more modern translation like the ESV, NIV, NLT. I've noticed that most churches/pastors are now using those versions. It's just a thought that might help.

I have been using a NKJV and more and more lately a NLT bible. I don't have a hard copy yet but I use it online. I should order one.

honestly, NIV is where I'm at right now...largely because my cousin got me a lovely, sturdy NIV. -convenience factor-

I think the NKJV retains some of the poetic goodness of KJV, but...modern people without advanced degrees can read thru if with a lot, a lot, a lot fewer difficulties.

honestly, NIV is where I'm at right now...largely because my cousin got me a lovely, sturdy NIV. -convenience factor-

I think the NKJV retains some of the poetic goodness of KJV, but...modern people without advanced degrees can read thru if with a lot, a lot, a lot fewer difficulties.
The NIV is a great translation! It is not inferior in any way to the KJV despite what some say. It is based on much more evidence: source documents, other Biblical era documents, understanding of the ancient languages, understanding of modern English(!), and the recognition that the meaning of the sources must be communicated to our modern understanding. There are also other modern translations that are excellent, e.g., the NET, the NRSVue. I suggest going to biblegateway.com and compare the various translations to see which one(s) appeal to you and give you clear understanding.

Don't be too surprised if you wake up one day and your NIV has turned into a different version. It happened to me!
It turned into a NKJV.

Don't be too surprised if you wake up one day and your NIV has turned into a different version. It happened to me!
It turned into a NKJV.
In a way, that happened to me too. My first Bible purchase was an NIV. Then, sometime later, my friend gave me a NKJV as a Christmas gift. At first, I didn't read the NKJV too much but today it is my preferred Bible. I honestly don't know why but for some reason I prefer reading from that one.

In a way, that happened to me too. My first Bible purchase was an NIV. Then, sometime later, my friend gave me a NKJV as a Christmas gift. At first, I didn't read the NKJV too much but today it is my preferred Bible. I honestly don't know why but for some reason I prefer reading from that one.

My friend bought me an NIV as a gift and I had it for awhile and used it. But one day a different frind came over to visit. He said NIV? Because he seen it on the table. SO he proceeded to tell me about it's missing verses and we even looked up 4 or 5 of them and compared to a KJV and he was right. SO life went on and I had an NIV (with missing verses, lol) big deal, it's what I have and it's mostly good.

Then one fine day one this very forum, yet another thread about which version is best came up. Having recently discovering through my friend that tha NIV has missing verses, I felt compelled to share these details of missing verses so I did. Then I think it was Brother Eugene that asked me for an example or two of these missing verses, and I said sure gimme a few.

I had not taken any notes so I called my friend which showed me all this and asked for the references again and wrote them down that time! So just to be sure, I wanted to look them up again before I posted back. I flipped open my Bible and looked every one of them up again, and I found every one of them in my Bible and I flt like it was the Twilight Zone ya' know? We had already looked them up and they were not there before. I know this. Why are they there now?

My friend was working so I google missing verses in the NIV and got about a billion hits. I got another huge list of missing verses that are not in the NIV Bible. So I looked up some of these verses to check them out to see if they were there or not? All of them that I looked up were in my NIV Bible. I tried and tried to find any missing verses in it until I was exhausted and I just put my Bible up on the table and sat back in frustration. I stared into space and tried to make sense of it. I couldn't. Dave showed me those verses and I know they were NOT in that Bible only a month ago. At the end of my rope. I reached out to God for help to understand this...and just as I started to pray my eyes skimmed the back of the Bible, and there it was in gold letters, NKJV.

The only one that could change this book from a NIV to a NKJV is God. I don't understand why He did it, but it does sound like Jesus endorses the NKJV Bible! So I did give Eugene a few refrences and I shared what happened.

It was my newest nicest biggest bible and there is no other bible in the house which it could be confused with.. There is no mistake. My friends, Dave and Richard both also can attest that this bible was an NIV.

I can't figure it though. Why would the Lord do this? I did not pray for Him to change my Bible. All of my underlinings and highlightings were still in it as a NKJV too. But what does this all mean?

Back