Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How to control your wife

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Roof

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/23/book-tells-muslim-men-how-to-beat-and-control-their-wives

"Book tells Muslim men how to beat and control their wives"

"
In the book’s opening pages, it is written that “it might be necessary to restrain her with strength or even to threaten her.â€

Later, its author advises that “the husband should treat the wife with kindness and love, even if she tends to be stupid and slow sometimes.â€

Page 45 contains the rights of the husband, which include his wife’s inability to leave “his house without his permission,†and that his wife must “fulfil his desires†and “not allow herself to be untidy ... but should beautify herself for him ... â€

In terms of physical punishment, the book advises that a husband may scold her, “beat by hand or stick,†withhold money from her or “pull (her) by the ears,†but should “refrain from beatig her excessively.â€
"

Though I am averse to debate owing to the tit for tat they too often become, as a Muslim I do feel compelled to address this post. I have not seen, heard of, or read the book that is referred to by the Toronto Sun - but I have read the Qur'an (the highest authority and Word of God for Muslims) and I have attended many Muslim weddings and the Imam (leader in prayer) always recites the following verse:

30:21 "And among His signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves that you may dwell in tranquility with them and He has put love and mercy between your hearts: verily in that are signs for those who reflect."

We also find the metaphor of the husband and wife given as, "They are garments for you, and you are garments for them." 2:187 It is the nature of garments that they bring comfort, dignity, and keep one from indecency and harm - not bring more harm! This is the basis of marriage, and not one spouse "controlling" the other. Finally, we find the statement of the prophet Muhammad, upon him be peace, "The best of you are the best to their wives." Peace be with you all.

There are Christians, too, who think that they must dominate their wives. My wife generally follows my lead, but does so entirely out of love for me, since I have never given her an order, nor have I threatened her with any sort of coercion. It's not because I'm smarter than she is; she is a remarkably intelligent woman.

And when she disagrees with me, I listen, because I have learned that when she does, it is for a good reason.

There are Christians, too, who think that they must dominate their wives. My wife generally follows my lead, but does so entirely out of love for me, since I have never given her an order, nor have I threatened her with any sort of coercion. It's not because I'm smarter than she is; she is a remarkably intelligent woman.

And when she disagrees with me, I listen, because I have learned that when she does, it is for a good reason.

thanks for sharing, good input...

i don't think that there is said in the bible that husbands should control their wives, i have only read about husband's leadership and wives submission. For me the word control your wives is kinda negative. Wives are no puppet you know....they have their own mind and heart so you can't control them.

thanks for sharing, good input...

i don't think that there is said in the bible that husbands should control their wives, i have only read about husband's leadership and wives submission. For me the word control your wives is kinda negative. Wives are no puppet you know....they have their own mind and heart so you can't control them.

Is this indeed in the Bible, about leadership and submission as you say?

EDIT: Thread has been made it seems http://www.christianforums.net/showthread.php?t=41776

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent 30 minutes putting down this! And, couldn't spell and the spell checker? Ever thing I said... was gone... gone... no more... history.

Fine.

Kar'an or how ever it is spelled is a a writin g that is accurate for thousands of years

Ares is not... translated...caps locked... I hate that.

What they have as far as their ideas still stand... meaning because of their non-translations, they abey what was once thousands of years ago.

We changed are Bible into many different languages and made it interpretable... because the language has been changed... with the cultures of the time.

So, does the Kar'an need to be interpreted? If it's been that way for so long?

That's the question... half hour of leading up nice and easy to this subject to make you think... and I can only put down a blurb...

Is there a count for how many charactors you need to put down... becasue this isn't fair...

I spent 30 minutes putting down this! And, couldn't spell and the spell checker? Ever thing I said... was gone... gone... no more... history.

Fine.

Kar'an or how ever it is spelled is a a writin g that is accurate for thousands of years

Ares is not... translated...caps locked... I hate that.

What they have as far as their ideas still stand... meaning because of their non-translations, they abey what was once thousands of years ago.

We changed are Bible into many different languages and made it interpretable... because the language has been changed... with the cultures of the time.

So, does the Kar'an need to be interpreted? If it's been that way for so long?

That's the question... half hour of leading up nice and easy to this subject to make you think... and I can only put down a blurb...

Is there a count for how many charactors you need to put down... becasue this isn't fair...

Ah, I feel your pain in losing what you wrote, that has happened to me in the past!! Thanks for making the effort anyway, and your point is clear.

You mentioned that the Bible has been changed as the cultures have changed. How much is this really true, though? Because changing an interpretation is fine, but changing the actual text is a more serious affair. If I understand your question correctly - then I would say this: there are many, many translations of the Quran - some newer, some older, but the original text has never changed, and we cannot change it because we believe it to be God's words, and God knew 1400 years ago when He sent it down that it would be good for all mankind forever.

Does that mean we practise everything in it the same as it was practised 1400 years ago? No. Some of the things are exactly the same, e.g. the way we worship, the beliefs we have, dietary laws, etc. But other things that relate to lifestyle - the Qur'an only gives principles, and the way we choose to act on them specifically, is open. This is most of the Qur'an, without a doubt. For example, what does it mean to be "excellent towards your parents"? It is only a general principle, and the way we show love for parents today is in a different way to how it would be 1400 years ago.

The sad thing about this is that men have kind of thought things of that sort were approapriate back in the day and even now. Virginia still has a law in which it is legal to beat your wife on the courthouse steps as long as its before 5pm. Muslims arent the only ones that have ever exhibited such behavior.

Like your perspective. :thumbsup

Here's the reaction I'd get if I tried to "order" my wife.
:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny:toofunny

I am unsure of their nationality, or religion, but there is a couple I see out walking a lot about a mile from my condo. Probably mid 50's, dark complexions, she with a wrap thing around her neck, but she does not have her face covered.

They walk without speaking, she three steps behind him, always looking at the ground.

Obviously THAT guy knows how to control his wife, and she knows her place.

Seems like a weird way to exercise, or to spend time together.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back