Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How to cope with losing a pet :(

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

LadyLoves

My Yorkie is 10 years old now. I got him in 2003 after school, and it's almost nearing that time. The average Yorkie lives 12-15 years. I'm already overly emotional so it's gonna be so hard to overcome. It's gonna be my first family lost.

And for those who are not animals lovers or never had a pet you considered family this will be funny to you or you may think I need to get over it or not take it seriously, but my baby has been by my side every since I got him, and he outlived his brother who died in 2009, reason was unknown my mom found him dead in his cage.

But I stumbled upon some videos on youtube about people's last days with their pets and it really didn't help any, I was crying and bawling my eyes out because that time will be soon for me and I won't be able to handle it. Anyone had to go through something like this?:sad:tongueuppydogeyes:crying4

Yes, three times now for me. And like you, my pets are like family. I have also lost human family members including both my parents so I know how that feels, and to an animal lover loosing a pet is just as bad. I know. I've been through it, the last time only a few months ago when my wonderful 14 year old cat died of kidney failure. In that time he had shared some of the best times of my life and some of the worst, yet he stuck by me through it all. Losing him was terrible.

When it happens, go ahead and cry. Don't worry about what you think you are supposed to do or not supposed to do, or that you shouldn't feel so bad. You will have lost a true loyal companion and part of your life will have gone with him, never to return. Cry until you can't cry anymore. That's part of the grieving process and it's good for you. Let it all out and don't stop until there's nothing left. It doesn't matter if the people around you understand or not. Just let it all out.

But before that day comes, the best thing I can tell you is to spend time with him and make him happy now, while he is still with you and can still enjoy your company. Treat him well, love him, and enjoy him so after he's gone you won't be telling yourself "Gee, I wish I would have..." When it's his time to go, he will probably let you know. Then find a way to let him know it's ok for him to go too. I read somewhere that many animals are so loyal to their owners that they struggle to find ways to live way beyond their natural life expectancy because they don't want to leave their owners. Let him know you aren't disappointed that he has to leave, and that it's ok for him to go when he needs to, and be sure to thank him over and over for all he's done for you.

I agree with Obadiah. We all die at some poitn or another, its how we live our life till that point. Enjoy your beloved companion. Live life, don't wait around worrying in fear that you'll lose your companion. Go to the parks, its good for pup and you.

I can't tell you the number of cats I've lost over the years, and when my beagle fell down the stairs at age 17 that hurt both of us a lot as I was forced to suddenly say good bye (his legs gave out and there wasn't anything we could do). I take comfort in knowing that he had a good life and we had a lot of great times together and that he outlived a lot of beagles.

Losing a pet is just as hard as losing a family member. Not much more to say than what has already been said by other posters. Just know that he had a good life.

I've lost several pets. A cat, a dog, and several birds. My cat and dog were especially close to me. My cat died from liver dysfunction several years ago. Her life was short, and we knew she was sick, but she died very suddenly and I never got to say goodbye. We had my dog put down because she was really aging and her quality of life wasn't very good. The second anniversary of her passing was a couple of weeks ago, and I spent a few hours of that day looking at photos of her and remembering. She had been my childhood companion for many years.

Back