Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How to deal with being disliked?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Okay, one of the things I hate is being disliked- yes, this is also coming from the very same loud-mouthed, opinionated, hardcore dragon-slayer. But it's true, it's my passionate heart that gives me the strength to be myself, but it's the very same heart that hurts when I've said something to cause someone to dislike me. I wish I could be one of those people that say all the right words to get my opinion across without offending anyone, but I just don't have that skill. So I wind up offending people, and being disliked. How do I deal with it? What does everyone else do when they're disliked.

I've accepted the fact not everyone is going to like me. People are different in so many ways it's impossible for everyone to like everyone. I've found trying to make someone like me usually offends the ones that might anyway. Why? Because the ones that like me may not like those who dislike me.
I just keep association with those who don't care much about me to a minimum and get on with living.
I don't have to deal with it. I just accept it, let it go and don't let it to bother me.

If you're trying to be someone you aren't it'll show. People will sense it.
Don't do it. It isn't worth it.

Okay, one of the things I hate is being disliked- yes, this is also coming from the very same loud-mouthed, opinionated, hardcore dragon-slayer. But it's true, it's my passionate heart that gives me the strength to be myself, but it's the very same heart that hurts when I've said something to cause someone to dislike me. I wish I could be one of those people that say all the right words to get my opinion across without offending anyone, but I just don't have that skill. So I wind up offending people, and being disliked. How do I deal with it? What does everyone else do when they're disliked.
Hi Gina,
I could not deal with this issue until I was in my mid-forties and that is a true monster for anyone that seeks to please. When I was young and on stage I would meet the monkey, my term for them, on the Parking Lot. that is not a good idea although I'm old enough now that the scars are trying to disappear in the wrinkles and today I promise to and often will, pray for them right there... on the spot.

Often God intervens and repairs what is broken.

I wish I could be one of those people that say all the right words to get my opinion across without offending anyone, but I just don't have that skill.

That skill can be learned........................with practice.

James 1
19 So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;
20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

If their disdain for you is without warrant, then we are to count it as glory. Wear it as a badge of honor that you are doing something so right that the devil just HAS to send some arrows your direction. "Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake." Matthew 5:11

I work in a very cutthroat environment, so I just expect people to not like me and talk behind my back. I only focus on what I can do to control it.

WOW are you writing about me? :)
I try to keep my words to a minimum. While noting not everyone is going to like me... most people dont know me. The knocks of being a preachers kid .. toughened the hide some..

Each of us have those who dislike us for whatever reason they want to choose. There's nothing we can do to change the minds of some people; we can only remain ourselves, to be the best loving, Christian person we can be, and keep our focus firmly on our Lord.

Our Lord knows our hearts....He also knows the hearts of everyone else.

Lemme jump in here...I'm the pariah of a small southern town. People definitely dislike me, lol.

So far, I've learned...1) Draw nigh unto Him--He'll sustain you! 2) Go about your work and your business as best you can w/o paying too much attention to what's around you. 3) (This little gem just came to me recently...) The world doesn't have a whole lot of substance to offer you. I mean, so what if they *did* like you? What would being Ms.Popular really do for you, in light of eternity?

Just do what Taylor does.... "shake it off!"
It is PROBABLY about her best song - I mean, does it REALLY matter?
Sure, we should not go around intentionally offending people - but it is a waste to time to worry too much about it - you can't mold yourself to fit what people want you to be - 'cause then you aren't you anymore.

(Just don't watch the video.... )

I stay up too late
Got nothing in my brain
That's what people say
That's what people say

I go on too many dates
But I can't make them stay
At least that's what people say
That's what people say

But I keep cruising
Can't stop, won't stop moving
It's like I got this music
In my mind, saying it's gonna be alright

Cause the players gonna play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate
Baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake
Shake it off
Heartbreakers gonna break, break, break
And the fakers gonna fake, fake, fake
Baby I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake
Shake it off, Shake it off

Songwriters: SWIFT, TAYLOR / MARTIN, MAX / SCHUSTER, KARL JOHAN.
© Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd..

Lyrics licensed through LyricFind.

I work in a very cutthroat environment, so I just expect people to not like me and talk behind my back. I only focus on what I can do to control it.

Excellent point. We have to remember we can't control anyone but ourselves which is a very biblical principle. God wants us to do the right thing and it hurts him when we don't, but in the end He leaves it up to each and every one of us to decide what we are going to do -- to sin or not to sin. If God himself allows us the freedom to choose our own direction even when He doesn't like it, we must do the same thing with others.

We are really an audience before one... JESUS. In the end all that's going to matter is what He thought of us and how we glorified Him on this earth. Not man. Not everyone liked Jesus and He was a perfect man in all that He did and how He loved others. Still? People were offended by Him. We will have people not like us in order to practice love and patience. Its part of our God journey and what we have to endure. The question is... can we still love others even though they do not like us? That's what Jesus wants of us. The word talks a lot about offense and how we are to handle it. We are to bless and pray for those people.

Back