Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How to Fix Safari ...

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

vja4Him

Something is terribly wrong with Safari ...

I keep getting a error message:

"Safari can't connect to the server."

"Safari can't open the page "http://www.apple.com/startpage/" because Safari can't connect to the server "www.apple.com".

Doesn't matter which webpage I try to access, Safari doesn't work anymore.

I've tried deleting the Cache, Cookies, plist.

I just deleted Safari altogether and all Safari files that I could find, emptied the Trash, then downloaded the most recent version of Safari from Apple, and installed.

Still have exactly the same problem.

Several days ago, I Reset Safari, which fixed the problem for a couple days. I've tried to Reset Safari many times today, but still have the same problem ....

Is this an issue with Snow Leopard 6.8? Any ideas how to fix this issue ... ???

I'm not a Mac user so I'll have to wing it....

First things first, assuming you know how to ping can you open a terminal (type 'terminal' in the search bar) and try to ping www.apple.com? Do you get a response? Traceroute or tracert also will give you a more comprehensive IP pathway listing to the destination. If you get a response try typing the IP address of the Apple website into your Safari address bar and see if it loads.

Also it might be worth looking at your System Preferences->Network settings and make sure things look right (that you have settings for a gateway, dns server, and ip address).

If you got a response on the ping and the IP address in Safari didn't work then try using an alternate browser like Firefox and see if you can get to www.apple.com using it. Since Safari isn't working possibly use a package manager that can grab Mozilla Firefox for you from the internet (I know Linux has package manager software) so that you can install it.

If you can ping www.apple.com but still cannot get to it even in Firefox I would suspect a firewall (sometimes included with antivirus software) problem blocking http traffic.

Try that for starters and reply back here with any results.

Good luck,
~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a Mac user so I'll have to wing it....

First things first, assuming you know how to ping can you open a terminal (type 'terminal' in the search bar) and try to ping www.apple.com? Do you get a response? Traceroute or tracert also will give you a more comprehensive IP pathway listing to the destination. If you get a response try typing the IP address of the Apple website into your Safari address bar and see if it loads.

Also it might be worth looking at your System Preferences->Network settings and make sure things look right (that you have settings for a gateway, dns server, and ip address).

If you got a response on the ping and the IP address in Safari didn't work then try using an alternate browser like Firefox and see if you can get to www.apple.com using it. Since Safari isn't working possibly use a package manager that can grab Mozilla Firefox for you from the internet (I know Linux has package manager software) so that you can install it.

If you can ping www.apple.com but still cannot get to it even in Firefox I would suspect a firewall (sometimes included with antivirus software) problem blocking http traffic.

Try that for starters and reply back here with any results.

Good luck,
~Josh

Very strange ... I opened up an e-mail message in Mail, then clicked on one of the links in the message, and Safari open right up with no problems!

Safari has been working ever since, for several days now. There was one issue with a webpage I frequent everyday many times, got the same error message, but a few hours later, that webpage opened up, and is still working.

I don't use Proxies. We have seven devices that get on the Internet daily, not counting the X-Box, so I don't think there are any problems with our Internet connection, the Modem or Router.

I've tried several other browsers and they are working just fine (Firefox and Google Chrome).

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a bug in Safari (as other people have suggested) .....

Just when I though that Safari was working ok, it is now doing exactly the same thing as before ....

I've tried deleting the plist many times, resetting
Safari many times, clicking on links in my e-mail messages and other
active links, which open Safari, but it still will not work. Restarted my computer, but that also did not help.

Looks like the newest version of Safari has some very serious bugs ....

Hopefully the developers will fix this bug soon ....

One other note:

All day yesterday up until late last night, Safari was working just fine. I shut my computer down last night, then when I booted up this morning, Safari would not work.

Could this somehow cause Safari to not work ... ???

Maybe Safari will mysteriously start working again ......

Back