Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I Have Done It

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

Well folks I put Unbuntu 14 alongside my Windows 8 so now I can boot into Windows 8, Unbuntu or Windows 7 all on the same rig. Now what I need is to get a Mac machine. I am going to have to get use to Linux I had put the first Unbuntu on a Motion 1200 tablet that I had I guess I loaded it on there in 2007 or 2008, could not get on the internet with it. And had a hard time putting Windows back on there. But anyway I am having a blast with Unbuntu, do you here me Tim & TOG:yes
I Windows 8 on a partition and Unbuntu on a partition and Windows 7 on the recovery partition which I don't need the recovery there when I can just use a DVD. So really I am triple booting.

Last edited:
Keep us posted on how much you like Ubuntu - I'm sure you will find it faster and cleaner. The other Linux distro that is quite popular is Mint (although I haven't tried that one yet).

I'm glad you're enjoying Ubuntu. I was trying a few different distros and ended up with SuSE linux. There are a few problems with it that I had hoped they had fixed since I last tried it many years ago, but they haven't. I personally don't like the Unity interface, but I'll probably end up setting up some Ubuntu derivative, like Mint or Zorin once I find time to back everything up and install it.

The TOG​

Yes I have to get use to it, it is much different than Windows. I started downloading stuff today to help out with it like the The Lifehacker Pack. Now I put Internet Explorer on here just because I still use the mail at times. So my question is, Internet Explorer is not dangerous to Linux is it, like it is to Windows ?

Keep us posted on how much you like Ubuntu - I'm sure you will find it faster and cleaner. The other Linux distro that is quite popular is Mint (although I haven't tried that one yet).
Well let me put it this way, I am not booting into Windows as much. Now downloading certain programs can be tricky.

Congrats on your switch-over to Linux. The way you did it, i.e. capable of booting to that or Windows is OK. I've always said that if a person has a favorite application that runs best in Windows (only because it was designed to run in Windows) as opposed to Linux wine, then either dual booting or using MS as a stand-alone is OK. The idea I always try to convey is that when you are going online, to hedge away from the Microsoft and use the more secure Linux, for your surfing, emails, videos, forums, online business, and the like--- Linux also has open source office that you can create your own free documents, and you can also use the Linux for the secure storing of your favorite pictures/videos. Use the MS for it's games or other entertainment that does not require the security.

And if your MS half ever does get malware, they say that it can be booted in Linux (or run "live" off a CD or whatever), to destroy the virus on the MS side of the partition. I've never done this personally, as I canned my MS altogether, but I loaned a Linux disk to a fellow tech and he cleaned up his girlfriend's computer that way.

Also, if you want to get a Mac, I have no nasty words to say about Mac. Being what I call a commercialized form of a Linux-like (actually Unix) operating system, there is a lot of support for that. It's a very good operating system, and they run a tight ship, but it's also more costly, but they are nice and well worth it if you have the money. But even Macs are coming down now, thankfully. However, keep in mind, that since it is commercialized and NOT open source like Linux, you are subject to their rules -- the hardware they want to use plus they install the OS, not you. Some people have worried over deliberate back doors put in with this NSA spying and whatnot, but I always take the stance that once you hit any sort of "send" button and your info is out there in cyberspace, it can be intercepted and scrutinized because it's coming off someone else's computer/server, and you have no control over that. Rather, you should just worry about controlling your own computer, something which Microsoft has a very, very poor attitude about giving a person such power. Apple claims such worries are unjustified and both they and google have been making the encryption harder to crack by LE because these companies refuse to hold the encryption key to decode it any longer. That's why the FBI was griping about that. As for Apple themselves tracking you, then just turn off some of the location services. But in the case of the iphone, I don't see what the beef is about since any tower must use location services for cell service. That's the nature in how it works. Put it in airplane mode if you don't want to be tracked --- simple as that and case solved.

Tim you are right, I am finding myself booting into Unbuntu instead of Windows even more. I just have to learn how to use it better using Wine, which I like but have to learn how to use it better which will come with using it everyday. I see that there are more programs that will run on Windows instead of Linux. Well let me put it this way it is mush easier to get software for Windows download instead of Linux. But I will soldier on and if I have questions you are the first person I will ask Tim you and Tog. If there is any tips that you can tell me do it Tim, because there is no turning back. I will always keep some sort of Windows around but now I need to really get into Linux.

Have you seen VMware or Microsoft's Hyper-V? Currently I have virtual machines for Windows 7 and 8.1 (also have a preview version of Windows 10) as well as Arch, Kubuntu and Pinguy OS running concurrently (if I want).

Set up in my home lab just to do it. Kinda fun; I use the Win7 and Kubuntu boxes and seldom use the others.

Hyper-V only works with Windows so VMWare would be more to your liking, methinks.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back