Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I John 2:6 The Application.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Davex

"He that says he abides in Him [Jesus], ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked."

Need we have chitty-chat exegesis upon this plainly spoken Word from God in order to enact it? No.

Therefore, as the walk of Jesus was seen then and is now displayed in Scripture for all of The World to behold, tell us now how you personally perform 5 specific features of Jesus' walk.

"He that says he abides in Him [Jesus], ought himself also so to walk, even as He walked."

Need we have chitty-chat exegesis upon this plainly spoken Word from God in order to enact it? No.

Therefore, as the walk of Jesus was seen then and is now displayed in Scripture for all of The World to behold, tell us now how you personally perform 5 specific features of Jesus' walk.

Well I have to wear boots instead of sandals.
I like reading poetry...don't really use it for teaching.
I don't have the five books of Moses memorized.
My undergarments all have seams in them...
My beard is short and covers only my chin.

I'm whiter than any semetic I know and my bathrobe is red.

I've been to Israel... didn't get to see everything that I wanted to.

I'm not able to walk as Jesus did.

Well I have to wear boots instead of sandals.
I like reading poetry...don't really use it for teaching.
I don't have the five books of Moses memorized.
My undergarments all have seams in them...
My beard is short and covers only my chin.

I'm whiter than any semetic I know and my bathrobe is red.

I've been to Israel... didn't get to see everything that I wanted to.

I'm not able to walk as Jesus did.
True.

I'm also running real short on Apostles.

And I tried to walk on water while in Galilee...the sinking hurt my feelings and the rocks on the bottom added injury to the insult.

1. walk in holiness - 1 Peter 1:16
2. walk in graciousness - Colossians 4:6
3. walk in humility - James 3:13
4. walk in unconditional love - 1 John 4:7-11
5. walk in truth - John 8:31, 32
Quoting Scripture does not indicate you do what the Scripture speaks of. Hope this is an eye opener. Is it?

For instance, if you do walk in Truth, you should be horrifically persecuted, as Jesus said His Disciples would be as He put them "Among Wolves." Are you horrifically persecuted for your faith?

Quoting Scripture does not indicate you do what the Scripture speaks of. Hope this is an eye opener. Is it?

For instance, if you do walk in Truth, you should be horrifically persecuted, as Jesus said His Disciples would be as He put them "Among Wolves." Are you horrifically persecuted for your faith?

You said to tell us now how you personally perform 5 specific features of Jesus' walk. I gave 5. Is this not what you asked in your OP?

I gave scripture for each one I walk in so others can see how scripture tells us to walk as Jesus walked. Here in America we are not persecuted for our faith as they are in other countries, but if I am still alive when the son of perdition takes his seat in Jerusalem then I am sure I will not only be persecuted for my faith in Christ, but will also die a martyrs death for not renouncing my faith.

How's that for an eye opener!

Call people out of the darkness.
Be a representative of God
Get irritated with the world
Look past people's status
Do the will of the Father

When I say get irritated with the world, I mean, the world operates out of fleshly purposes and that is irritating. The spirit operates through the eternal.

Davex,

Would better language be that of the ERV (Easy-to-Read Version), 'If we say we live in God, we must live the way Jesus lived'?

For me, this means living according to the fruit of the Spirit:

22 But the fruit that the Spirit produces in a person’s life is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these kinds of things (Gal 5: 22-23 ERV).​

These are difficult to practise since I have to deal with my sinful nature that has not yet been eradicated.

'To walk, even as He walked' is not language that I understand. However, the NIV dynamic equivalence translation gives the meaning, 'Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did'.

Oz

Please quote the scripture that says we will be horrifically persecuted for our faith if we walk in the truth.

JLB

Jesus wants us to walk as He walked, which is to obey Him, just as He obeyed His Father.

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. John 15:10

The way we do this is be led by the Spirit.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. Romans 8:14

If we want to be sons of God, like Jesus, then we must be led by the Spirit, just as Jesus was when He walked on the earth.

JLB

1. walk in holiness - 1 Peter 1:16
2. walk in graciousness - Colossians 4:6
3. walk in humility - James 3:13
4. walk in unconditional love - 1 John 4:7-11
5. walk in truth - John 8:31, 32

FHG,

Aren't you using 'walk in' to mean 'live in' or 'this should be included in your lifestyle'?

You cited Col 4:6 which the NLT translates as, 'Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone'.

Therefore, it is not using 'walk in' to mean taking one step after another, but as a way of conversing with people.

Oz

FHG,

Aren't you using 'walk in' to mean 'live in' or 'this should be included in your lifestyle'?

You cited Col 4:6 which the NLT translates as, 'Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone'.

Therefore, it is not using 'walk in' to mean taking one step after another, but as a way of conversing with people.

Oz

It's like not only talking the talk, but also walking the walk as in the attributes of Christ within our spiritual inner man and the outer reflection of Christ to Others.

KJV - Colossians 4: 6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

We do walk in the footsteps of Christ as we display His attributes like the five I listed while conversing with others as this let's the light of Christ shine through us that others will see that light by our actions.

walk is lifestyle.​

JLB,

That's why 'walk' needs to be translated with dynamic equivalence meaning and not with KJV language. I find these translations of 1 John 2:6 more understandable and accurate:

For 1 John 2:6:
  • 'If we say we live in God, we must live the way Jesus lived' (ERV);
  • 'If we say we are his, we must follow the example of Christ' (CEV);
  • 'whoever claims to abide in him ought to live [just] as he lived' (NABRE);
  • 'Those who claim to belong to him must live just as Jesus did' (NIRV);
  • 'Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did' (NIV);
  • 'Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did' (NLT);
  • 'whoever claims to be dwelling in him, binds himself to live as Christ himself lived' (NEB).
Oz

JLB,

That's why 'walk' needs to be translated with dynamic equivalence meaning and not with KJV language. I find these translations of 1 John 2:6 more understandable and accurate:

For 1 John 2:6:
  • 'If we say we live in God, we must live the way Jesus lived' (ERV);
  • 'If we say we are his, we must follow the example of Christ' (CEV);
  • 'whoever claims to abide in him ought to live [just] as he lived' (NABRE);
  • 'Those who claim to belong to him must live just as Jesus did' (NIRV);
  • 'Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did' (NIV);
  • 'Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did' (NLT);
  • 'whoever claims to be dwelling in him, binds himself to live as Christ himself lived' (NEB).
Oz

To live as Jesus lived, to me is to follow His example of lifestyle.

Some translations seem to clarify in some instances, while at other times, they seem to obscure the original meaning.

JLB

To live as Jesus lived, to me is to follow His example of lifestyle.

Some translations seem to clarify in some instances, while at other times, they seem to obscure the original meaning.

JLB

JLB,

'Some translations ... at other times' are nebulous statements. Please be specific so we have something to discuss.

Oz

JLB,

'Some translations ... at other times' are nebulous statements. Please be specific so we have something to discuss.

Oz

Example:

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
1 John 5:7 NKJV

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
1John 5:7 KJV

For there are three that testify: 1 John 5:7 NIV

JLB

Example:

For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one.
1 John 5:7 NKJV

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
1John 5:7 KJV

For there are three that testify: 1 John 5:7 NIV

JLB

JLB,

If you read the footnote of 1 John 5:8 (NIV) it states:

1. 1 John 5:8 Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the fourteenth century)
So 'there are three that testify" is not found in the earliest copies of the NT. I don't depend on that Scripture to build any doctrine as its authenticity is questioned.

Oz

JLB,

If you read the footnote of 1 John 5:8 (NIV) it states:

1. 1 John 5:8 Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the fourteenth century)
So 'there are three that testify" is not found in the earliest copies of the NT. I don't depend on that Scripture to build any doctrine as its authenticity is questioned.

Oz

Do you believe the Father, the Word and the Spirit are Three Gods or one God?

JLB

Back