Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] I long to have gifts of Holy Spirit

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Dear Brother LPTSTR, by your admission stated that you are a Christian, you are born of the Spirit of God, and that was by believing on the Lord Jesus. I will ask now as the Apostle Paul did in Acts 19:2. Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? Some call this the Baptist of the Holy Spirit, or being filled with the Holy Spirit. I’ll leave of with this until I receive your thoughts.
:wave2

Eugene, I dont know how to test if I have received Him. I believe I have. You could probably ask me some more specific questions because then I can also be more sure.

I see that you are moderator on this site. I accidentally double posted it because the site was slow to react during that time. If you can you could merge my 2nd post with this one.

th1b.taylor I am not so strict on it because after all I belong to God and not to myself so I want to keep it open for Him to decide but I thought that I would like to get started praying in tongues because seeing that work in me would give me more boldness and confidence. Then I could use gift of prophesy and word of knowledge and gift of healing. My hope is that I could use these gifts to deal with those who cant come to God because they dont believe that spiritual realm exists. I mean my point is no to make some show off but rather that if I run into some serious doubter I might encourage him with deeds if he says that he dont believe in word.

Dear Brother @LPTSTR, you seek a good thing to not only enable your understanding, but to use in edifying others.

1 Cor 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
1 Cor 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

As to gifts of healing, it is God giving His power. I have twice been effectual in prayer seeing them given life. I simply cried out to God in an emergency. In my opinion, if we love others we can do none less than exercise the faith given us, and includes all the gifts. Being in the way I believe God has given me discernment, great love, and as to prophesying, it is God’s word fulfilled we now expound possibly also used in teaching. To that extent, I hesitate not to continue studying to show myself approved, and to be ready to give a reason of the hope that is in you. (1 Pet 3:15).

Now as to knowing if you have received the Holy Spirit I submit the following thoughts.

An unsaved person cannot receive the Holy Spirit.
John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Acts 19:2 He (Paul finding certain disciples) said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? Does this suggest there's the possibility of believing and not receiving the Holy Ghost? Why else the question, and then how would they know?
They were disciples, and Act 19:5 tells us that they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Are they saved by now?
Act 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

I will state here that when I received the Holy Spirit evidenced by speaking in tongues, I did not receive the gift of tongues. All in Christ receive the same gifts as we read in Twelfth Chapter of 1 Corinthians.

Do they need water baptism first? No.
Act 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues (the evidence), and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? These received the Holy Ghost prior to being baptized.

Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you (All believers), and shall be in you (Those who receive the Holy Spirit.)
Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

Eugene, I dont know how to test if I have received Him. I believe I have. You could probably ask me some more specific questions because then I can also be more sure.

I see that you are moderator on this site. I accidentally double posted it because the site was slow to react during that time. If you can you could merge my 2nd post with this one.

th1b.taylor I am not so strict on it because after all I belong to God and not to myself so I want to keep it open for Him to decide but I thought that I would like to get started praying in tongues because seeing that work in me would give me more boldness and confidence. Then I could use gift of prophesy and word of knowledge and gift of healing. My hope is that I could use these gifts to deal with those who cant come to God because they dont believe that spiritual realm exists. I mean my point is no to make some show off but rather that if I run into some serious doubter I might encourage him with deeds if he says that he dont believe in word.

I guess my response was left on that other post.

You say you want the gifts, but you seem to know more about them than someone that does not have them. People don't use that term "Word of Knowledge" because unless your filled with the Holy Spirit, and have operated in that or been around people that have and explained it, then you would not know exactly what that was.

I assume you have been around people who use the gifts or are around people who use the gifts? Are these folks around you now, that could help you?

What Church do you go to?

Also you don't test to see if you have received the Holy Ghost. That's a good way not to receive him or get very frustrated in the process. Paul asked some folks who had been Baptised by Johns Water Baptism if they were filled with the Holy Ghost. They said they not so much of even heard of this Holy Ghost. If we are waiting on tongues (We Speak as in open our mouth and speak) or some other physical thing to show up to prove we have something from God, then that is walking by sight, it's not believing you receive, and it leads to frustration.

Folks say that tongues is evidence your filled with the Holy Spirit. Yes, Without the filling and power of the Holy Spirit, there is no tongues. These folks are confused though, because if we believe God only when we see it, or experience it, that is not believing God at all. You don't need faith for something you can see.

It's like saying I'll believe I am born again, if I end up in Heaven. A little late at this point.

Anyway.

Mike.

Brother,
You obviously have the gift of love and for that you should never doubt. A common mistake that results in heresy being taught is the belief or some form of it that the Gift of speaking in tongues is "the" gift that proves salvation, not true.

I believe you should do a topic study beginning with 1Cor. 12, all of it. You can search the topic with Google and get a complete study of the topic and if you do, the Word will encourage you. This is a trait that after learned will never fail to keep you moving forward.

def: HS = Holy Spirit

Dear Brother @LPTSTR, you seek a good thing to not only enable your understanding, but to use in edifying others.

Excuse me, is this meant in a way that you know that what said above is true for me or is it meant to say "Look, this is how you should use these gifts; not for your self"

I assume you have been around people who use the gifts or are around people who use the gifts?
That shameful and yet life changing moment at the same time, when you ask somone to pray for you and he tells you to give up the sins that you have not had courage to even mention to anyone.... I personally didnt think of word of knowledge ans some indicator that I know more than normal people do. I would say that there is much for me to discover.

Now my primary purpose is not to know everything about everyone but to prove others that "I am valid". I mean in Acts when apostles go out to preach and do the good works, God accompanies the with many signs and wonders to prove that those guys are not just some crazy many but real doers who have authority from God. I have seen people who dont believe in spiritual realm in general, and I see that word of knowledge and prophesy and healing could be quite effective cure against this.

Are these folks around you now, that could help you?
I have friends who can pray and talk in tongues every time they want. Who have had many wonderful experienced in theyre lives trough gifts of HS.

What Church do you go to?
Well it's sad topic for me. I go to baptist church but due to my time schedule I only get there once per month or even less. I really wish my life would change. It's not that I dont want to go or am too lazy to go.

As for tongues, I would use it as a visible evidence for my self that HS gift is activated in me and that would give me encourage to use other invisible gifts on others. I mean I do not need it in order to believe in God myself because I already know that He exists, I dont need to believe it, I know it. The purpose of tongues would be to pray when I myself dont know how to put my situation in words and to get visible assurance that HS gifts are enabled in me.

As far as being filled with HS is concerned I dont think that being filled with HS implies from speaking in tongues and healing and such. I have heard that people who turn away from God into false doctrines or who start to misuse these continue to have these gifts. Of course I am not HS expert but that's just thought.

Therefore th1b.taylor I am not looking for tongues because I want to prove myself that I am saved but to build myself up.

--
Thanks for your advise, is anyone willing to pray for these things?

def: HS = Holy Spirit

Thank you for sharing all that. You want your life to change, but it changes doing the Will of God. Wishing is not going to do you much good.

Also, you don't need to pray for these things. Lot's of folks been praying for years for tongues and still don't speak in tongues.
That's like praying that the Lord save you, please Lord save me. Why won't you save me Lord? I don't want to go to hell.

Tongues is for every believer, and more often than not, praying in tongues leads to the other gifts which operate by the Will of the Holy Spirit, it edifies, builds up, and Paul called tongues praying in the Spirit (spirit) Now what believer thinks they don't need to pray in the spirit? Sadly, lots of them don't value the gifts enough to go check them out and seek. They make excuses for being spiritually lazy.

It's not for everyone. (right, like praying in the spirit with tongues is not important to every single believer)
It's passed away. (Then I must not be praying in tongues, Brother Mike is just so confused. Sure)

The excuses are long, but so what? Some do believe God is no respecter of Persons, and do value the Word.
One guy got mad at me one time saying He tried for 3 whole weeks, and God did not give it to him. Wow, you were diligent seeking God for 3 weeks, what an amazing person. Then you gave up. I have asked the Lord

Anyway.............. Stop praying, start believing what God already said.

Read these verses over and over and over.
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
(Luk 11:10-13 KJV)

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
(Luk 10:19 KJV)

According to Jesus, what happens if you as your Father in Heaven for the Holy Spirit?
Did he say you have to take a number, it might be a few years?
Did He say you just never know what God is going to do, you might get the Holy Spirit, then again, you might not?

What happens the moment you ask?
Notice Jesus insured you that you won't get a devil (Serpent or Scorpion) Another myth made up by our wonderful brothers and sisters in the Lord.

What happens if you say, "Father, I don't know, but I do see in your Word that if I ask for the Holy Spirit, it's a done deal. I believe what you said about it, and How much more will you give to me the power of the Holy Spirit than some other natural father would give to his own children. I am asking you right now for the Power of the Holy Spirit and evidence of the gifts working in my life."

Bam, that part is done. Real simple.

And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
(Mar 16:17 KJV)

What sign follows you now being filled with the Holy Spirit if you believe on the name of Jesus?
Do you have to ask for tongues? NO, it says the signs follow those that believe in Jesus, that is the condition.

Now if you need help, just ask the Holy Spirit to help you and say a few things like you remember your friends said in tongues. It will be all in the natural, but it's stepping out in faith. Watch it just take hold and the words come up.

Mediate on those scriptures, do what I said, come back with the great report.
Remember, you have to do the speaking, the Holy Spirit won't move your mouth for you, but will give the words in your belly, middle, not your head.
Mike.

Der brother mike, Bible tells us to pray for gifts of spirit, you are telling me the opposite - you tell me not to pray.

Edited

Last edited by a moderator:
kiwidan thank you for praying for me. Please note that this is an automated reply and the contents of your your post has not been read.

--

Buy a shiny new suit, new shoes, a gold rolex, get a nice haircut, find a stage, and just pretend. That's how people usually do it.

Paul showed us all "a better way" in 1 Cor. 13. Without that, that way, nothing else really means much of anything. There's a lot of hot air on stage.

Der brother mike, Bible tells us to pray for gifts of spirit, you are telling me the opposite - you tell me not to pray.

Edited

I gave you scripture that says ask God for the Holy Spirit. Then I gave you scripture Jesus saying if you believe on His name, then you speak with new tongues.

You're focused on if I am using scripture correctly, when I gave you the scripture and exact direction on what to do.

I have operated and taught about the gifts for a whole lot of years, someone here will have to help you. I wish you great luck.

Mike.

Eugene, I dont know how to test if I have received Him.
Don't test. I am convinced, just by reading your posts, that you ARE one of His children. :)

th1b.taylor I am not so strict on it because after all I belong to God and not to myself so I want to keep it open for Him to decide
It IS up to Him, not you or me. Your heart is in the right place, and your will to serve and help others is admirable.

but I thought that I would like to get started praying in tongues because seeing that work in me would give me more boldness and confidence. Then I could use gift of prophesy and word of knowledge and gift of healing. My hope is that I could use these gifts to deal with those who cant come to God because they dont believe that spiritual realm exists. I mean my point is no to make some show off but rather that if I run into some serious doubter I might encourage him with deeds if he says that he dont believe in word.
That won't work, those who dont' believe won't believe even after such a demonstration. REMEMBER what happened with Jesus Himself? Oh sure, many believed, but many MORE assumed that He was tricking them.

I have a good Christian friend, Tom. He was a total nonbeliever. He was "witnessed to" over and over, his heart remained closed. But then one day when he was hurting, a friend simply said, "Tom, the wife and I will pray for you every night until this is resolved.." Tom was irritated that all this guy was gonna do was pray. But Tom got so obsessed with the other man's response and faith, that he knelt down and prayed himself - telling God that he did not understand AND that he did not believe, but that he wanted to.

In his heartbroken reaching out to God, he was saved and now, over 35 years later, has walked with the Lord ever since.

All cause one man said, "Ill pray for you..." And NOT because someone PROVED God to him. I think you are trying to prove God to people - it didn't always work for Jesus and it won't for you or me. Your HEART will reach more people than your acts.

Don't take on what is God's domain. If He wants you to have those gifts, you will. Buy you can't do any trick, perform any act or convince God to do what YOU think He should do. It is not up to you or anyone else - it's a God thing.

All you are going to do is get aggravated over this, and that will hurt you. Let go, let God. He leads, we follow.

That won't work, those who dont' believe won't believe even after such a demonstration.
Is it so always? I have heard that some people after they get healed on streets and asked if they want to follow Christ have said yes.

This desire has been to me all the time but in last 2 days it has got strong. Please pray for me.
For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. 1 cor 12;13 the moment your saved the holy spirit come in to your heart . being filled with the spirit is not about all the gifts but a relation ship .jesus said seek ye first the kingdom of GOD and HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS and all these things will be added . imo tongues is a gift the LORD will give it to you as he desires to { If He wants you to have those gifts, you will.} amen

For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. 1 cor 12;13 the moment your saved the holy spirit come in to your heart . being filled with the spirit is not about all the gifts but a relation ship .jesus said seek ye first the kingdom of GOD and HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS and all these things will be added . imo tongues is a gift the LORD will give it to you as he desires to { If He wants you to have those gifts, you will.} amen
Amen!

The Greatest Gift of God in Christ, the ONLY thing that "really" counts, both now and in Eternity is LOVE expressing itself through faith in Him.

Paul stood on the ground of HIS LOVE. That was the only GIFT he ever needed. And it is so, for all of us as well.

Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

So, if this is TRUE, it is somewhat "irrelevant" to chase in any other direction.

We are told, outright, that other things will fail and will pass away, AND that if we don't have LOVE, we have nothing.

1 Cor. 13:
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

The Gift of His Spirit is HIM, HIS LOVE, in our hearts. This is the only thing that matters.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

The Perfect Is Love.

Is it so always? I have heard that some people after they get healed on streets and asked if they want to follow Christ have said yes.
With human nature being what it is, we can only speak in generalities. There are those who will come to Christ simply after talking to you once, IF you hit a nerve with them.

Other times, you could part the Red Sea and some will say, "Oh, that was a trick..." There are cases of both extremes in the Bible itself as well as in my own life.

Again, this is why I say it is up to God Himself. You mean well, but you are taking on responsibility for things that are not yours. All any of us can do it witness to others; either thru deliberate witness and testimony, or better yet, thru our own lives.

EXAMPLE:
My own dad was totally impossible to talk to about matters of faith. Once, I spoke with my pastor about this. He said that I was doing what YOU are doing: Trying to control, trying to take on responsibilities that were not mine to take on, looking for the "secret formula" or "magic words" to reach someone. But none exist. He told me to keep in mind that ANY fool can "witness" to someone. ANY body can say ANYTHING - but what do words really mean?

At the same time, he pointed out that dad watched me take my boys to church every Sunday for over ten years. And while I could not talk to my dad about spiritual matters, he'd ask my boys what they learned in Sunday school - and my boys TOLD HIM what they learned. Dad did not ridicule or make fun of them, cause they were his grandchildren. But I never thought it mattered.

Then, one day...........

I stopped by the house and there was mom and dad watching Billy Graham preach Jesus boldly and clearly, right then, dad said to me, "We are watching Billy Graham, can you come back later? America better listen to this guy..."

Dad had come around and wanted to hear the Gospel and understand it all. Billy was the man to do it - not me, not anyone coming to the door with tracts or preaching on a street corner and yelling into traffic. It was some guy on the TV. But I am convinced it only worked because of groundwork laid in my dad's life years before. Dad was a tough one to get to, and it took time and a "team effort", a team of people who, mostly, had never met.

People will see your heart, maybe not in a five minute talk, but they WILL see your heart if enough time is given, if enough relationship is invested in. And it can take a lot of time. It is human nature. The Bible was written with human nature in mind, but we often read past those parts, those verses, those nuances. That is a horrible mistake - just because you present the truth (and the greatest gift EVER!) does NOT mean that people want to hear it, or will receive it. Again, how many rejected Jesus in His day? Contrary to some theology, MOST rejected Him, often to His face.

Hey , I am happy for your dad!

You mean well, but you are taking on responsibility for things that are not yours
Could you explain this responsibilities more a bit? Did you mean that God would expect more of me when I have these gifts or that I might try to save someone with my own strength and then be disappointed? I mean if I would get all 9 gifts today and not use these in any of situations where I could have used them would I go to hell for that?

Back