Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] I need hunger for the word

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I learned a lot of a Teen Challenge about 4-5 years ago. Good people, good stuff. Problem is...the guy in charge of the Bible classes was hard on people and kinda mean. Also, I've only recently (by Christ's grace and miracle working power in my life) recovered from...life. Personal sin, the reaction of shrinks and other self-righteous hypocrites to my personal sins. Happens.

So, I need hunger for the word of God. I pray all the time. Seriously. I'm glad, too, because now I'm not so terrified of God as an angry, fickle, pagan tyrant in the sky. I now know better. My friend, Verna, has helped me a lot in that regard, too.

But, yeah...Bible Study. I ordered a book on Bible study. Its by Derek Prince. Never heard of him, but the book had good reviews on Amazon. We'll see, lol.

I'm praying for a hunger for God's word and sound doctrine and instruction.

Brother Christ_empowered, we're not drawn many times to read the word of God until we're up against a test in our lives necessitating quick learning to survive as it were; Father, what am I to do now? It's much akin to having a fire extinguisher in a cabinet, the kitchen stove catches fire, we grab the extinguisher and don't know how to use it.

Start of with things you're interested in. So many new Christians begin with the book of Revelation because of their interest in future events. Well that leads to questions they can't answer causing them to search further hopefully. If you can set aside enough time daily to even read one chapter of any book and you'll soon find what you read today matching up with scripture of other books; remeber that all scripture is God inspired. In my case that made me go back and reread something I read before and soon establish doctrines I profess until some day God reveals even deeper thing I had not see in His word. Study to show yourself approved unto God, and you will soon find yourself growing in grace and knowledge of our Lord. :)

Brother Christ_empowered, we're not drawn many times to read the word of God until we're up against a test in our lives necessitating quick learning to survive as it were; Father, what am I to do now? It's much akin to having a fire extinguisher in a cabinet, the kitchen stove catches fire, we grab the extinguisher and don't know how to use it.

Start of with things you're interested in. So many new Christians begin with the book of Revelation because of their interest in future events. Well that leads to questions they can't answer causing them to search further hopefully. If you can set aside enough time daily to even read one chapter of any book and you'll soon find what you read today matching up with scripture of other books; remeber that all scripture is God inspired. In my case that made me go back and reread something I read before and soon establish doctrines I profess until some day God reveals even deeper thing I had not see in His word. Study to show yourself approved unto God, and you will soon find yourself growing in grace and knowledge of our Lord. :)

Well said brother! Reading the Word grows on you just like anything else. The way I started to read more of the Word, was to do exactly what brother Eugene said. To set aside some time each day to read at least a chapter. It wont take long and before you know it, it sparks something within you. Call it interest if you like, passion if you like. You will want to read more. Perhaps because it happened to speak to you that day about your current circumstance, or just plain good story or message coming through, it happens.

Before I started doing this, i would study the bible once in awhile. A lot for a day or so, then it would gather dust for days or weeks. No routine, no discipline. It wasn't enough. I had a question once about something (I forget what) I prayed for a couple weeks about it with no answer. Then one day by happenstance, I just picked up the bible to read and flipped it open to my answer! Wow.

So I realized that I needed to read more. But I needed guidance, thoroughness. A curriculum of sorts. What I wound up doing was to sign up for Bible Gateways https://www.biblegateway.com/
read the bible in a year reading plan. The send me a chapter or two per day in the email to read and I stick to it for the discipline. (I always link to it so that I can turn on the audio at the same time and read along with it, to increase retention). I always do it first thing in the morning, the house is quiet, i am fresh from sleep, a good time for me. and by the time I'm done, I'll have the entire bible read. I did the NT last year, and doing the OT this year.

It's surprising how many days the reading is applicable to my current events with advice for me. Sometimes it sparks a study of something or other and leads to much more reading than the chapter or two as the minimum. Other days if I am not feeling well or rushed or whatever. I at least read the days reading. I also downloaded E-Sword (free, awesome) http://www.e-sword.net/ which is a Strongs Concordance program that I open after the reading and return to the chapter to word study passages and so forth, a great tool. Overall, I'm learning and growing and this is a good way to do it. has been for me at least.

Last edited:
I learned a lot of a Teen Challenge about 4-5 years ago. Good people, good stuff. Problem is...the guy in charge of the Bible classes was hard on people and kinda mean. Also, I've only recently (by Christ's grace and miracle working power in my life) recovered from...life. Personal sin, the reaction of shrinks and other self-righteous hypocrites to my personal sins. Happens.

So, I need hunger for the word of God. I pray all the time. Seriously. I'm glad, too, because now I'm not so terrified of God as an angry, fickle, pagan tyrant in the sky. I now know better. My friend, Verna, has helped me a lot in that regard, too.

But, yeah...Bible Study. I ordered a book on Bible study. Its by Derek Prince. Never heard of him, but the book had good reviews on Amazon. We'll see, lol.

Praying you are ravenous for the Word. :)

Dear God, may you bestow us the thirst for your word and lead us to overcome satan's temptation.

Edward expressed it pretty well. I found I had to believe that there was a reason for me to want to study... not that I thought I should, or that it was expected of Christians.

And, this is something I think each individual has to determine for themselves, or else the flame will usually soon die down.

Edward expressed it pretty well. I found I had to believe that there was a reason for me to want to study... not that I thought I should, or that it was expected of Christians.

And, this is something I think each individual has to determine for themselves, or else the flame will usually soon die down.

That's true. One studies because they want to, not because they think they have to.

Thanks, y'all.

I know at a certain point you just do it (thanks, Nike), its just been...rough. This mental association of Bible Study with dusty classrooms and tirades, lol.

Oh well. I'm soon to start...I'm thinking re-start Acts, since I always liked that part of the Bible.

That's true. One studies because they want to, not because they think they have to.

Well, it does say to study the scriptures daily...We know that there will be rank in Heaven, for some will be called the least in Heaven. I don't want to be the plumber up there too!

From what I've studied, there are four levels of relationship. Followers, friends, sons, and bride...I believe that how far we go is pretty much up to us, and based upon our diligence and also works for the Lord. Besides...it's interesting!

Well, it does say to study the scriptures daily...We know that there will be rank in Heaven, for some will be called the least in Heaven. I don't want to be the plumber up there too!

From what I've studied, there are four levels of relationship. Followers, friends, sons, and bride...I believe that how far we go is pretty much up to us, and based upon our diligence and also works for the Lord. Besides...it's interesting!
Brother Edward, maybe the following relates to what you’re saying. This shows three different levels of growth in the Christian.

1 Jn 2:13 I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.

Next we can see that growth related to the will of God.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
:wave2

Hi there

Think of it this way: if we love someone, it is a joy to spend time with them, listen to them, get to know them more intimately. Getting to know Jesus is like that. Praying is part of it; also being still and listening for His voice. But a huge part of it is learning all we can of him from the Bible. The Gospels.... firsthand accounts written by people who were actually lucky enough to walk and talk with Jesus. Acts.... the beginning of the early church - fascinating. The letters.... written by those who were given special wisdom by the Holy Spirit to teach us what we need to know in our Christian walk. And the Old Testament, which is the background to it all, and helps us to understand it all better. Hey, what a privilege to be able to read all this. Get stuck in there, buddy!

Hi there

Think of it this way: if we love someone, it is a joy to spend time with them, listen to them, get to know them more intimately. Getting to know Jesus is like that. Praying is part of it; also being still and listening for His voice....

Excellent point Granny! Prayer is a dialogue, and not a monologue. :pray

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back