Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study I Thirst

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Not disagreeing with what is written there. But it does not address the "cup of indignation." The only reference that I know of is in...

Revelation 14:9-10
And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

This cup is not one poured out on Jesus.
The cup of God's wrath is figurative language. The wrath of God is reserved for unbelievers who still have the penalty for their sins waiting for them at the end of the age. For us Christians, Jesus figuratively drank from the cup of the wrath of God for us in order to satisfy the just penalty for our transgressions ahead of time.

The cup of God's wrath is figurative language. The wrath of God is reserved for unbelievers who still have the penalty for their sins waiting for them at the end of the age. For us Christians, Jesus figuratively drank from the cup of the wrath of God for us in order to satisfy the just penalty for our transgressions ahead of time.
And if that cup was not poured out on Jesus then it is still due to be poured out on every on us, voiding Grace.

Well, thanks for the effort Jethro, but you still haven't identified an actual scripture that says he drank the cup of wrath/cup of indignation. Again, what you state here is a common belief. It is a belief that I have held as well, but now I just can't seem to find a scripture that would actually support it.

There are two things I can point to. When Jesus was on the cross, knowing that all things were accomplished, of that cup he did not drink. There is a mention of the cup of indignation and the cup of God's wrath found in Rev 14 which has no context to Jesus drinking of the cup of indignation.

I am not looking for beliefs or doctrines here. Only a simple scripture reference that Jesus actually drank the cup of God's wrath.

Jesus prayed three times to let this cup pass, and it now appears to me that that prayer was answered. For now knowing that all things were accomplished, HE DID NOT DRINK of the CUP. HE tasted thereof, but His prayer was answered, and he did not have to drink of the cup. For as soon as they put the vinegar to his lips, he yielded up the ghost. The cup was passed from him, and as we found out in Psalms 69, the cup was given to His enemies.

This is my comment from post #9.

Jesus prayed three times for the cup pass, the second and third came also with "except I drink." So if we look at it a little more critically, then we would see he was praying that he wouldn't have to drink of the cup.

Matthew 26:42
He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

What is this cup. Did Jesus drink of this cup? Or was his prayer answered? As I postulated in the earlier post, I am now more confident that his prayer was answered.

John 19:28-30
After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Matthew 27:34
They gave him vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.

So knowing that all things were now accomplished, He did NOT DRINK of the cup. His prayer was except I drink it. So what were these things that were accomplished?

John 19:24
They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

Jesus did not drink of the cup. His prayer was answered....

Matthew 27:45-46
Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Psalms 22:1-8
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not;
and in the night season, and am not silent.
But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
Our fathers trusted in thee:
they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.
They cried unto thee, and were delivered:
they trusted in thee, and were not confounded.
But I am a worm, and no man;
a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
All they that see me laugh me to scorn:
they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him:
let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

Matthew 27:41-43

Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him. He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.

Psalms 22:14-18
I am poured out like water,
and all my bones are out of joint:
my heart is like wax;
it is melted in the midst of my bowels.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd;

and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws;
and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
For dogs have compassed me:
the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me:
they pierced my hands and my feet.
I may tell all my bones:
they look and stare upon me.

They part my garments among them,
and cast lots upon my vesture.

His tongue cleaved to his jaws, and he said I THIRST. But he did not drink it. Was His prayer was answered?

Psalm 22:19:24
But be not thou far from me, O Lord:
O my strength, haste thee to help me.
Deliver my soul from the sword;
my darling from the power of the dog.
Save me from the lion's mouth:
for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.
I will declare thy name unto my brethren:
in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
Ye that fear the Lord, praise him;
all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him;
and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted;
neither hath he hid his face from him;
but when he cried unto him, he heard.

The strongest and most popular argument against the Rapture is that the word is not found in scripture and that's whooee on 2 counts. First and most directly it does appear inn the Latin and one told me that the word for Raptur is found in the Greek texts. But if that were not or is not true the word codifies the teaching of Jesus catching away those of us that follow Him to the best of our ability.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back