Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study I was decieved

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Corn Pop

I was thinking why I dont read the kjv, then I remember its because its just too hard to understand.

What little faith. To hard. Lol.

Last edited:
I was thinking why I dont read the kjv, then I remember its because its just too hard to understand.

I don't read it because it's in a language that is no longer spoken. (Specifically: "Late Middle English" AKA: "Jacobean English")
There are plenty of good translations in modern English available so why bother with the odd syntax, grammar, and vocabulary of the KJV?

iakov the fool
:boing

By reading the words posted above, you have chosen to expose yourself to the rantings of iakov the fool. (:waveHIyah! )
The poster assumes no responsibility for any temporary, permanent or otherwise annoying manifestations of cognitive dysfunction that may result.
No warrantee is expressed or implied. Individual mileage may vary. Enjoy the rest of your day. (:waveBYE! )

I like the poetic language of the King James Bible. I'm sure it was written to be read aloud, not silently.

Last edited:
I like it is the way Jesus talked... :couch
People in the charismatic realm always prophesy using King James english. :lol

You know it's true! But, does God really speak in olde english? Maybe not so much.

I PREFER to read and study in the KJV myself. The newer versions have gutted a bit of jots and tittles that should not have been tampered with from the KJV. Ye (plural) have heard it said, but I say unto you (singular) is a common cut out. Changing the "generic" they to "people" is the one that really get's me. There really isn't a good alt. for that in most versions.

Last edited:
The newer versions have gutted a bit of jots and tittles that should not have been tampered with from the KJV.
Do you have any examples of such "gutting"?
Changing the "generic" they to "people" is the one that really get's me. There really isn't a good alt. for that in most versions.
At which verse(s) was that done?
iakov the fool

Jacobean quip: "Elizabeth was King. Now James is Queen." http://rictornorton.co.uk/jamesi.htm

A KJV was the first bible that was given me. I got used to it and prefer it now. :study
Yeah. I know what you mean. I used to like Jack Daniels but now I like aged, single malt Scotch.
I'm getting used to a bum knee too as I get older.
Oh well.:shrug

At which verse(s) was that done?
iakov the fool

Jacobean quip: "Elizabeth was King. Now James is Queen." http://rictornorton.co.uk/jamesi.htm

I read and teach from the KJV and the NASB and the biggest difference between the two is one is as close as possible to a word for ward translation and the other is a thought for thought. I love the word for word the most so I use the NASB much. much more than the KJV.

I like it is the way Jesus talked... :couch
Every time God spoke it was poetic in nature.
When the prophets spoke for God it was song and psalm.
When Jesus taught and spoke it was lyrics, rhyme, and poetry.

There was never a degree of separation.

when I was in school every report card was A;C;D;D;F;F;F and I read the KJV so Im sure you can unless your report card
is/was worse than mine

Cited a couple of examples. The changes number in the several thousands or more. It's a common (legit) complaint among KJV onlyists. I'm not one, but I understand the legitimacy of the complaints.

The Lord has an answer for "its just too hard to understand."

Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Unless the Lord opens up the eyes of our understanding we're flaying at the wind..

Here we see examples of gutting...

Here's a small (very small) sampling of words removed in the NIV!

Matt. 6:13, "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."
Matt. 15:8, "This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth"
Matt. 19:9, "and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery."
Matt. 20:7, "and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive."
Matt. 20:16, "for many be called, but few chosen."
Matt. 20:22, "and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with"
Matt. 25:13, "wherein the Son of Man cometh."
Matt. 27:35, "that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet They parted my garments among them and upon my vesture did they cast lots"
Mark 6:11, "Verily I say unto you, it shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city."
Mark 10:21, "take up the cross."
Luke 1:28, "blessed art thou among women"
Luke 4:4, "but by every word of God"
Luke 4:8, "get thee behind me Satan"
Luke 4:18, "he hath sent me to heal the broken hearted"
Luke 11:2-4, "Our ... which art in ... Thy will be done, as in heaven so in earth... but deliver us from evil"
John 1:27, "is preferred before me"
John 3:13, "which is in heaven"
John 3:15, "should not perish"
John 11:41, "from the place where the dead was laid"
John 16:16, "because I go to the Father"
Acts 10:6, "he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do"
Acts 15:18, "Known unto God are all his works"
Acts 20:24, "But none of these things move me"
Acts 23:9, "let us not fight against God"
Rom. 8:1, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit"
Rom. 13:9, "Thou shalt not bear false witness"
I Cor. 6:20, "and in your spirit which are God's"
I Cor. 11:24; "Take eat... broken"
II Cor. 10:4, "but mighty through God"
Gal. 3:1, "that you should not obey the truth"
Eph. 5:30, "of his flesh, and of his bones"
Phil. 3:16, "let us mind the same thing"
I Tim. 6:5, "from such wthdraw thyself"
Heb. 7:21, "after the order of Melchisedec"
I Pet. 1:22, "through the Spirit"
I Pet. 4:14, "on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified"
I John 4:3, "Christ is come in the flesh"
I John 5:13, "and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God"
Rev. 1:11, "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last"
Rev. 5:14, "him that liveth for ever and ever"
Rev. 14:5, "before the throne of God"
Rev. 21:24, "of them which are saved"

Jesus Christ says, in Luke 4:4, ". . . It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY WORD of God." But not according to the NIV! In fact, the NIV even "TAKETH AWAY" the last half of Luke 4:4 - "BUT BY EVERY WORD OF GOD"! And Jesus Christ was quoting Deuteronomy 8:3 to Satan! Does the NIV PERversion seriously think the Lord Jesus Christ does NOT know Duet. 8:3???

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/niv_exposed.htm

Cited a couple of examples. The changes number in the several thousands or more. It's a common (legit) complaint among KJV onlyists. I'm not one, but I understand the legitimacy of the complaints.
I'm sorru Smaller, I didn't see any examples, can you repost or link me to them because as a former Bible Teacher i have never found these issues oft complained of but never listed.

I'm sorru Smaller, I didn't see any examples, can you repost or link me to them because as a former Bible Teacher i have never found these issues oft complained of but never listed.

I listed just a couple small examples. The changes made to places where "ye" plural and "you" singular in the KJV to define this difference in a scripture probably numbers well over a thousand citings. Where it was mangled, over a thousand scripture changes.

Same where we might read this in the KJV:

Revelation 21:
8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Reads as this in the "God's Word translation."

Revelation 21:8
But cowardly, unfaithful, and detestable people, murderers, sexual sinners, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars will find themselves in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

I'd consider that a very dramatic addition/change. Why? Because orthodoxy/christian theologians KNOW and have known for hundreds of centuries that it can not be solidly determined that any PEOPLE are going to be in the LoF. And the more intelligent of the bunch make room for the possibility of PREVAILING or OVERWHELMING GRACE. To not make room for prevailing/overwhelming GRACE by such inserts is FALSE GOSPEL. Yeah, by one little word. The KJV adroitly translated to AVOID this kind of error.

Here we see examples of gutting...

Here's a small (very small) sampling of words removed in the NIV!

Matt. 6:13, "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."
Matt. 15:8, "This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth"
Matt. 20:7, "and whatsoever is right, that shall ye receive."
Matt. 20:16, "for many be called, but few chosen."
Matt. 20:22, "and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with"
Matt. 25:13, "wherein the Son of Man cometh."
Matt. 27:35, "that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet They parted my garments among them and upon my vesture did they cast lots"
Mark 6:11, "Verily I say unto you, it shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city."
Mark 10:21, "take up the cross."
Luke 1:28, "blessed art thou among women"
Luke 4:4, "but by every word of God"
Luke 4:8, "get thee behind me Satan"
Luke 4:18, "he hath sent me to heal the broken hearted"
Luke 11:2-4, "Our ... which art in ... Thy will be done, as in heaven so in earth... but deliver us from evil"
John 1:27, "is preferred before me"
John 3:13, "which is in heaven"
John 3:15, "should not perish"
John 11:41, "from the place where the dead was laid"
John 16:16, "because I go to the Father"
Acts 10:6, "he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do"
Acts 15:18, "Known unto God are all his works"
Acts 20:24, "But none of these things move me"
Acts 23:9, "let us not fight against God"
Rom. 8:1, "who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit"
Rom. 13:9, "Thou shalt not bear false witness"
I Cor. 6:20, "and in your spirit which are God's"
I Cor. 11:24; "Take eat... broken"
II Cor. 10:4, "but mighty through God"
Gal. 3:1, "that you should not obey the truth"
Eph. 5:30, "of his flesh, and of his bones"
Phil. 3:16, "let us mind the same thing"
I Tim. 6:5, "from such wthdraw thyself"
Heb. 7:21, "after the order of Melchisedec"
I Pet. 1:22, "through the Spirit"
I Pet. 4:14, "on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified"
I John 4:3, "Christ is come in the flesh"
I John 5:13, "and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God"
Rev. 1:11, "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last"
Rev. 5:14, "him that liveth for ever and ever"
Rev. 14:5, "before the throne of God"
Rev. 21:24, "of them which are saved"

Jesus Christ says, in Luke 4:4, ". . . It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by EVERY WORD of God." But not according to the NIV! In fact, the NIV even "TAKETH AWAY" the last half of Luke 4:4 - "BUT BY EVERY WORD OF GOD"! And Jesus Christ was quoting Deuteronomy 8:3 to Satan! Does the NIV PERversion seriously think the Lord Jesus Christ does NOT know Duet. 8:3???

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/niv_exposed.htm
I have tried to extend peace and logic with truth here and have taken on three examples. Now, going in, please note I approach this from the previous wholesale slander from a previous post and my suggestion is to be ever vigilent when hopping a freight train.

NASB ‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from [b]evil. [c][For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’]
The brackets around the phrase in question indicate that it appears in some, often lessor scripts, but not in the majority, indicatiing some scribe, at some point, likely added them. Perhaps this is why the translation you chose to come down on left them out.

NASB ‘This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far away from Me.
Agian I mention, the NASB is, unlike the KJV, a word for word translation. It appears the translators of the KJV translated this passage for what they considered it to be trying to say? But the truth is, those words are not in the Koine Greek that the New Testament is translated from.

NASB And I say to you, whoever [a]divorces his wife, except for [b]immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
I do not use the NIV but the trian you hopped on here said all latter day translations and as is seen here, that is not true.

May God bless His word to our hearts.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back