Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

I was thinking getting away for 40 days and 40 nights

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I was thinking getting away for 40 days and 40 nights like Jesus and Moses did. There seems to be healing in that many days for some reason. What did Jesus do all day in those 40 days???
I want to get away because i often feel my soul is drained because i recently broke up with my girlfriend and i seem to have a hard time finding hope that a woman will treat me right. I also dont know what i want to do for a new job since i am very unhappy in my current job of heavy construction that keeps me away from home for about 70 hours a week. So I often feel physically and mentally tire and im hoping i will get some answers from God if i give myself a long break like that. If i do i plan on not being around any other people for those 40 days and nights. Has anyone that is reading this done this 40 day getaway thing before????? What are your thoughts on this??? Any tips or suggestions??? Thank you

Jesus spent this period of fasting in order to prepare Himself for His earthly ministry which was about to begin. It also prepared Him for the time of temptation by the devil in the wilderness.

All the best in your 40 D/N solo retreat ... :wave

Sounds like a great getaway to drown your sorrows and rejuvenate. When you are back, share with us how it went and what you achieved.

:thumb :salute

This sounds like a potentially profound experience for you. I've never done it and would find it near impossible to carry out myself. If you do follow through, I pray you find what you are looking for :pray

And I too would love to hear from you afterwords! :yes

This would be interesting. Please tell us how it goes.

Where would you be thinking of going? The desert?

I would make it for 50 days instead. 40 is the number of testing, and Lord knows you've been thru enough already. 50 is the harvest number, associated with fullness (plus you get an extra 10 days :biggrin )

tim_from_pa said:
I would make it for 50 days instead. 40 is the number of testing, and Lord knows you've been thru enough already. 50 is the harvest number, associated with fullness (plus you get an extra 10 days :biggrin )
Good point Tim, I wouldn't have thought of that! It's all about living it 365..24-7. But if you need to get away with the Lord for a period of time then do it.

40 Days away? Hmmm i do 7-10 occasionally when I'll head into the back country alone but 40...I'll pass, I do not plan on hunting to survive during my time away, lol

Read, fish, wildlife viewing, camp, hike, bike, kayak/canoe, climb, swim, Rock hound, Pick up a survival hand book and practice all the field craft, construct shelters etc etc.

countryboydonald said:
Hey everybody! What can i do for 40 days? I dont know where to go yet. But i also wonder what i will do all day. Any suggestions?
Maybe start with 5-10 days, just to see what it's like. If you don't know what to do, that may be a sign that you need to look into it more and hear what those who have done it have to say. If you are doing this for spiritual purposes, it is no small undertaking.

Should i make sure im in a place where nobody will be there? I mean if i am hiking i may see other people. But i wonder if i should make it where i am totally alone EVERYDAY ALLDAY. What are your thoughts on this?

countryboydonald said:
Should i make sure im in a place where nobody will be there? I mean if i am hiking i may see other people. But i wonder if i should make it where i am totally alone EVERYDAY ALLDAY. What are your thoughts on this?
All I can say is that you need to look into this more before doing it. I certainly don't want to discourage you from doing it and actually encourage you to pursue this, I just want to make sure you know what you're doing, why you're doing it and good ways to go about it. There are many good books on Christian spirituality that would provide you with a lot of insight into what you want to do. It would be worth looking for a retreat center that has silent retreats, especially guided ones for at least the first time but maybe more.

Let someone know where you will be and bring a GPS/Map and compass and first aid kit just in case the worst should happen. And as far as getting to a place to be alone i wish you luck, I live in Canada and i have yet to find a place that is void of people. There too much people to be alone, lol

countryboydonald said:
Hey everybody! What can i do for 40 days? I dont know where to go yet. But i also wonder what i will do all day. Any suggestions?

have friends who pray? make a round the clock prayer llist. such as from12 midnight to 12:30 I will pray,
from 12:30 am to 1:oo am my friend Ralph is going to pray, my girlfriend.. (well, maybe not)

:thumb let us here know, we can be those friends for you, too :wave

countryboydonald said:

I would camp next to a creek that is right off a road where people are llikey going to drive by, give you something to think about. also, I would get in the creek and arrange rocks to be waterfalls, that would give you exercise, inspiration to go on knowing you are making beautiful music (the water falls)in a more serene place!

(don't forget shoes that can get wet)

:biglol

What did Moses do on his 40 days away wherever he was? What about Jesus? What did He do in the desert for 40 days? Walk around? Just lay around and pray? Talk to people? Were they completely alone?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back