Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

if I seem obsessive, there is a reason for it

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
Some people have commented on how I seem obsessive over certain topics. These topics also tend to be things I'm quite passionate and opinionated about.

There is a reason for this:
Autism.
Once again.

My brain is wired very differently from non-autistic brains. I recently took a self-paced course on autism to learn more about my condition, and boy oh boy, there are a LOT of brain differences they've discovered in the autistic population. These differences include why we process sensory input differently, why we tend to hyperfocus on patterns, why we obsess over our interests more than the general population, why we tend to have more trouble regulating emotions, etc. I literally process things differently than you likely do.

Autistic people often have what is called a "special interest", which means an abnormally intense interest that we like to learn more and more about. Sometimes our obsession with these interests can make us seem almost like experts on the subject.
My "special interest" for the past few years has been mental disorders. I like learning about them, I like observing them, I like spending time talking about them. I tend to be very opinionated about them.

So yeah. Just explaining myself.

Some people have commented on how I seem obsessive over certain topics. These topics also tend to be things I'm quite passionate and opinionated about.

There is a reason for this:
Autism.
Once again.

My brain is wired very differently from non-autistic brains. I recently took a self-paced course on autism to learn more about my condition, and boy oh boy, there are a LOT of brain differences they've discovered in the autistic population. These differences include why we process sensory input differently, why we tend to hyperfocus on patterns, why we obsess over our interests more than the general population, why we tend to have more trouble regulating emotions, etc. I literally process things differently than you likely do.

Autistic people often have what is called a "special interest", which means an abnormally intense interest that we like to learn more and more about. Sometimes our obsession with these interests can make us seem almost like experts on the subject.
My "special interest" for the past few years has been mental disorders. I like learning about them, I like observing them, I like spending time talking about them. I tend to be very opinionated about them.

So yeah. Just explaining myself.
Really? I thought everyone was like that to some degree.

"You can look at the list and think, “but everyone has hobbies, what’s so special about yours?” Like much of what differentiates an Asperger’s trait from a general personality quirk, the answer is the degree to which the trait is present.

For example, when I took up running, I didn’t just go out and jog a few times a week. I read books about training for marathons. I found workout plans online and joined a training site to get personalized drills. I learned about Fartlek and track workouts and running technique. I signed up for road races. Ten years later, I spend more on running clothes and shoes than on everyday clothes. I use a heart rate monitor and a distance tracker to record my workouts. If I go on vacation, I pack all of running stuff. I don’t just like to run occasionally; running is an integral part of my life. It fills a very specific need."

Really? I thought everyone was like that to some degree.
Yeah, just as EIGA said, it's about degree. I have similar issues with my ADHD, due to a wiring issue or dopamine issue the adaptation and response to stimulus is vastly different. Hyperfixation is the key, Autistic people have areas they hard invest into because their brains are set up to chase that repetitive nature and dTa crunching, while afhd is a dopamine chase.

Right. It's like.... yeah, everyone has hobbies. Everyone gets short-lived obsessions.

But like..... for the first 16 years of my life, I was utterly obsessed with dogs. To the nth degree. They were all I thought about and all I wanted to think about. I would go up to strangers and tell them all about dogs. I would interrupt people to ask them questions about dogs, even if that wasn't the topic. I would pretend to be a dog all the time at home and always wanted to be the dog when playing with friends - would get very upset if not allowed that.
When I got older, I used to read up on dogs for hours and family affectionately called me a walking dog encyclopedia. I would spend hours on a forum about dogs, talking about dogs with other dog lovers and debating for hours over things like dog diet and training. It took up 99% of my free time and I would get very energized from it, could stay up all night.

I am similarly obsessive about my other interests, though it's toned down a little bit since I've gotten older.

I always wondered how nostalgia works in the brain. Because for people its great yet can also be overwhelming and depression at the same time. I believe its something spiritual where people try go back in the past to find comfort and peace. Like trying to get back to the garden of eden after losing the innocence.

Last edited:
I have a granddaughter who is diagnosed on the spectrum. She has been a goth for the last few years. (sr in high school) When she was diagnosed, her mom (my daughter) sent me a book "Look Me In the Eye" by John E Robison. It was about growing up with Aspergers. She said that she saw in me many of the same traits Venna has. Reading thru the book I could see them too. So I am probably on the spectrum as well.

On line tests tell me to get a proper diagnosis; high probability to being there.

There is a new NCIS show from Sydney Australia. They have a girl "Blue" who is clearly meant to be on the spectrum, with a math savant. I noticed in that character the same math skills I remember from my great grandmother. So she was probably on the spectrum as well.

Last edited:
A lot of older people are on the spectrum and have no clue because autism just wasn't widely known during their day. (Not calling you old.)

There is a book I like called All Cats Are On The Autism Spectrum

A lot of older people are on the spectrum and have no clue because autism just wasn't widely known during their day. (Not calling you old.)
Well, when I was young the only "autism" we knew about were those so withdrawn from reality that you could hit them with a 2x4 over the head and they would not react or even look at you.
LOL!!!

giphy%2520(11).gif

Probably just because I'm far more aware of autism now, so I tend to notice it more when it's there. Sort of like how you may suddenly see things related to a tv show everywhere, but only after becoming a fan of it.

Several people at my workplace are autistic. A couple of the baggers are autistic, one very visibly so, and at least three other coworkers who are currently working there or used to are autistic as well. One of them has three autistic children, but recently told me that she is also on the spectrum. There's also my sister, who also works the front end with me, who is probably autistic and definitely some flavor of neurodivergent.

We are everywhere
:)

Probably just because I'm far more aware of autism now, so I tend to notice it more when it's there. Sort of like how you may suddenly see things related to a tv show everywhere, but only after becoming a fan of it.

Several people at my workplace are autistic. A couple of the baggers are autistic, one very visibly so, and at least three other coworkers who are currently working there or used to are autistic as well. One of them has three autistic children, but recently told me that she is also on the spectrum. There's also my sister, who also works the front end with me, who is probably autistic and definitely some flavor of neurodivergent.

We are everywhere
:)
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

Back