Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Im just wondering ...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Just out of curiousity and because Im brainstorming but just wondering what everyone here has done or tried serving wise? Im not trying to make anyone feel uncomfortable by tooting their horn or anything but Im just wondering about experiences and trying to see what I can get into.Has anyone done that habitat for humanity? I suck as far as building anything lol only because I dont have the greatest arm strength.I dunno I had a huge breakdown today in my car and I cried so hard ,I think because I had a panic attack mixed in.Gods peace broke through like always.Anyway Im looking to get busier and just brainstorming.This idle time has not been good for me.

Just out of curiousity and because Im brainstorming but just wondering what everyone here has done or tried serving wise? Im not trying to make anyone feel uncomfortable by tooting their horn or anything but Im just wondering about experiences and trying to see what I can get into.Has anyone done that habitat for humanity? I suck as far as building anything lol only because I dont have the greatest arm strength.I dunno I had a huge breakdown today in my car and I cried so hard ,I think because I had a panic attack mixed in.Gods peace broke through like always.Anyway Im looking to get busier and just brainstorming.This idle time has not been good for me.
I will be thinking of something and definitely praying for you to find the ministry that the Lord has for you.

Just a personal opinion here, but I have worked too closely with the building industry to ever consider Habitat for Humanity a ministry of any kind. It is widely political, and often abused.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but I have eyes that see.

You don't have to be a carpenter, hallowbonnie , to help out with Habitat for Humanity. Sometimes, it's helping to unload trucks. Or toting 2x4's or whatever to where they're needed. When the building gets far enough along, there's painting. Or yard work.

There are many ways to help others in your own personal ministry. Visit a nearby nursing home & volunteer.

You & your situation are in my prayers, that our Lord will lead you in the direction of His choosing, to best serve His purposes.

Are you looking for a volunteer ministry of some kind, or are you thinking a paid position? I'm considering something I never thought I would do before. Lately 3 different people have suggested I get into care giving for elderly. Not as a volunteer but as an actual paid job of helping elderly people with things in their daily lives. I've always been more inclined to work with teenagers, which I am currently doing. But some extra income is needed badly. The other day the 3rd person suggested I try it and it suddenly hit me that maybe this could be another way of serving as well as a way God is putting in front of me to help provide for myself at the same time. Seems there is a shortage of care givers in my area, it's a Christian organization, and the pay is running about $12/hour which is better than I was making as an assistant manager job for a boat supply company this last summer. I told him I think I want to give it a try and asked him to put me in touch with whoever does their hiring.

Obadiah yeah that actually feels closer to what maybe God is trying to say to me...I do need a second job....seriously need the money and this could be a two for one so Ill explore that thanks.Not necessarily working with the elderly but something else Im not quite sure what.

Just a personal opinion here, but I have worked too closely with the building industry to ever consider Habitat for Humanity a ministry of any kind. It is widely political, and often abused.

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but I have eyes that see.
I was kinda seeing some of that here. they build homes and often in the worst of places. not saying they don't help but yes politics is in there. but I would like to see what you are seeing.

hallowbonnie, Think of the things you like to do and the talents you have and it will come to you as the Holy Spirit guides you.

There's a myriad of ways to serve and help out. Think about what you're good at and pursue that in a volunteer aspect. What you're good at is what you'd be the most helpful with it seems to me. They used to have what they called a "Warm Wheels" day here in my city, where all of us contractors and workers would do some free service calls to repair or clean and inspect poor peoples furnaces for the winter. If parts were needed then the participating supply houses would donate the needed parts. I installed a furnace for a nice lady one time for free through this program. I don't think they do it anymore though. I haven't heard anything about it for a few years now.

They used to have what they called a "Warm Wheels" day here in my city, where all of us contractors and workers would do some free service calls to repair or clean and inspect poor peoples furnaces for the winter. If parts were needed then the participating supply houses would donate the needed parts. I installed a furnace for a nice lady one time for free through this program.

That is awesome. Did the city fund participants or was it more like this is my contribution to my city? I wonder why they stopped :sad

That is awesome. Did the city fund participants or was it more like this is my contribution to my city? I wonder why they stopped :sad

I'm pretty sure it was something that the Local contractors association thought up. It had a great response and went very well. Even the supply houses pitched, and the building department didn't even charge me for the permit for the install that I did! (That's a big wow there! lol)

I always tell them at my church that I'm licensed & insured and will help out any poor or widows that need plumbing or heating repairs also. I changed a toilet for free for the church and patched up their sprinkler system too. Not tootin' my horn, just making the point that all of us should do this for their community. Freely we have been given, freely we should give.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back