Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

"I'm Spiritual, Not Religious" ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I thought all you needed was a Bible and a personal relationship with God, not the politics and agendas of a Church group.

Pft, with that attitude, you'd make a terrible Christian. How are people supposed to make money off you, or build a group with enough hatred to go out and lynch someone different from themselves?

. I thought all you needed was a Bible and a personal relationship with God, not the politics and agendas of a Church group.

You are right, ColdBlooded... all you need is a Bible and a personal relationship with God. For fellowship, Bible study...it helps to have a church home. However, many are able to find that fellowship and Bible study online, at places such as here.

There are many here who do not have church homes for reasons that are pertinent to those members.

Something to consider, anyway........

:wave

DarkHorseRising, this doesn't have to be a combative discussion. You kinda came out with your guns blazing. Let's ALL ease up a bit.

When I first read the OP, I took it to mean "Christianity is a relationship; not a religion", which I can understand. Relationship is a characteristic that separates Christianity from other religions, but it is a religion. I suspect SOME Christians have given the word "religious" a bad connotation.

If it is meant to imply universalism or spiritism, that woman could as well be wearing a shirt that screams, "I'm lost!".

I've always said that I follow Christ not Christians, that I have a faith not a religion. Religion does carry a lot of negative baggage with it and I'm not a fan of organized religion (too focused on rites and rituals) Being a Christian is about having a personal relationship with Jesus, he is the one I've committed my life to.

Spiritual:
(1Cor 2:13-16) These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know [them,] because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is [rightly] judged by no one. For "who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

Religious:
(Jas 1:26-27) If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion [is] useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, [and] to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Being Spiritual is having the mind of Christ. How can someone have the mind of Christ and yet not visit orphans and widows in their trouble and not being holy?

Hence, based on Scripture, you can't be spiritual and not religious. Being religious is a subset of being spiritual.

Hence, based on Scripture, you can't be spiritual and not religious. Being religious is a subset of being spiritual.
You probably won't understand this thread because, as Mike pointed out, being 'religious' has a connotation attached to it in the English speaking western church. And it is that connotation that this thread is addressing, not the very true and accurate measure of 'religion' James teaches. Please, don't try to argue the point. It's a cultural thing.

There really is a big difference between a legalistic, academic 'relationship' with God, and an intimate spiritual relationship with God.

The barriers to salvation came down for me because someone educated me about the difference between the two. One will change you. The other will make you a sterile, insufferable Pharisee.

You probably won't understand this thread because, as Mike pointed out, being 'religious' has a connotation attached to it in the English speaking western church. And it is that connotation that this thread is addressing, not the very true and accurate measure of 'religion' James teaches. Please, don't try to argue the point. It's a cultural thing.

Advise accepted. :nod

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back