Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

In HIS Own Image

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Classik

When the bible says, God made man 'In HIS Own Image'...what exactly does this mean? What is the Image of God? How about the fall? Are we still in His image? God is perfect. Man is so corrupt. What is this 'Image'?

When the bible says, God made man 'In HIS Own Image'...what exactly does this mean? What is the Image of God? How about the fall? Are we still in His image? God is perfect. Man is so corrupt. What is this 'Image'?

Adam & Eve were such until they lost the Holy Spirit.
It was then that they had to be re/born.

And from this time on it was all a Promise that took a long span of time. Heb. 11:1-2 & Heb. 11:13 as these all died in the Faith!

I suspect that it was easier for these two to grasp this fact because it was God who told them this in person??

But we have additional promises from Christ that we CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGETH US + MY GRACE IS SUFFICENT FOR THEE, FOR MY STRENGTH IS MADE PERFECT IN WEAKNESS. (you can look it up for accuracy?;))

--Elijah

ok well this is a hard subject if we are to really try to understand it. first it says our image, and in the image of God he made them. our image in the Hebrew means the elohim and the earth. God was talking to whom? he was earlier telling the earth to make things and by speaking he creates. so its reasonable to say that the earth is whom he was talking to. we have the natural body that is from the earth and the "yechida" that is from God.

Well I don't know what it means but I sure am glad to be made in his sweet image.

God was talking to whom? he was earlier telling the earth to make things and by speaking he creates. so its reasonable to say that the earth is whom he was talking to.

I have no problem with this thought. To me, the "Let us make man in our image," does include the Plural of Majesty of which we are familiar. Queen Elizabeth's voice is almost heard (by me), "We are not amused."

But there is more to it than that as Jason surmises. The Lord did speak and there is more to the "us" than what might initially be seen. Other Scriptural references include Angels (those who are not fallen) as part of the Elohim. Perhaps the Lord is speaking out of a Spirit of generosity to all those who participate in the act of creation. Could it also include those of us who follow after Jesus and are guided by the Holy Spirit? Could we too be included in that prophetic "US" ?

That's for God to say. We do know that Jesus has said, "Know ye not that ye are gods?" Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34?

Psalms 82:6 deserves a closer look. Here's one:
Look at the Online Hebrew Interlinear (Green UnderText): Psalms 82:6

:yes Okay? Now look again at other Scripture with an eye to the Berean proof that may be found for this assertion.

Thank-you.

Sparrow

we have the natural body that is from the earth and the "yechida" that is from God.

I like that explanation.

Not sure if this is off topic, but the bible says God never changes. Humans are the one of the least varied species on the planet, the bacteria in our gut is 50x more variable than we are genetically. The things less variable than humans are gonorrhoea and tuberculosis, which came after the fall. To me it's just one more way we were created in his image.

ok, why didn't I let me quote myself. in jewish thought. we are the "soul" why the yechida is the part from god and angels(the latter I don't agree with but I can see why they say it). the words translated as soul in the greek from the Hebrew are these.
living soul, that is the nephish chaya.
soul, nephish, and nephisma
soul,ruach, and finally yechida.
all of these are then in the new testament as simply as soma(body), psuche, psyche. the later is the mind the former there is the center of emotions. when we look at the Hebrew the nephish,nephisma, nephisha chaya, all have the idea of a fleshly body and the two later have emotions. the ruach, our center of emotions and intellect has a body to it as well. the last being the yechida. this is from God and has the yud and which is from him and I believe that we have the compassion, and all those things that are reflections of god.

living soul, that is the nephish chaya.
soul, nephish, and nephisma
soul,ruach, and finally yechida.

@Sparrowhawke , a jew will argue that the word elohim isn't plural. I agree with that is why I mentioned whom god was talking to as so many assume that we are triune being when we are not. yechida is a singular, the other names are facets of one soul. that doesn't negate that a triune being made us, just that if we are too argue for the trinity then one cant use genesis one in that manner. well ya can but I will derail this with the idea of and the Ruach of God moved upon the earth and the lights and darkness thing.

a jew will argue that the word elohim isn't plural. I agree with that is why I mentioned whom god was talking to as so many assume that we are triune being when we are not.

I too have appreciation for the Shema. My thought is not that we, as humans, are created triune. Some may say, "Look to Freud --> Ego, SuperEgo, Id," others may say, "Body, Soul, Spirit," but there is much confusion sown into these things, and much wisdom needed to perceive the truth behind what is seen there. My thought is that God is One. We are called to a place where we are to be "One with the Father," even as Jesus is one with Him. I've not found many Jewish who seek to argue with me. Do I deny the Trinity? I do not, but then, I do try to walk circumspectly and believe that God is able to reveal Himself and doesn't need me for that.

I'm able to worship God even in Catholic assemblies, joined with my brothers and sisters there. Why should I have a problem with worshiping God with any of those who are called to Him? My basic premise is simply, "I don't know everything."

well ya can but I will derail this with the idea of and the Ruach of God moved upon the earth and the lights and darkness thing.

My belief is that you are correct in what you say. I would also point to the fact that this same "Ruach of God" moves upon us and that the seas upon which the face of God hovered expectantly over is us. We too are invited into the ministry of The Christ.

First God said 'Let us make man in our Image'.

We have God using the Words of 'OUR' Image, yet all angels are ministering 'spirits'! (both good & bad)
And God said... Let US go down and confound their language! Gen. 11:7

[7] Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
(and what are we understanding today??)

And again, angels are ministering spirits!

--Elijah

Personally, i am still learning what God is like so to know "exactly" what it is like to be made on His image is probably impossible. However, we know from the Gen narrative that God just got through making "stuff" as inanimate as stars, water, dirt, plants and even insects. Then came a little more "soulish" animals. Then the Adam/Eve combo. So, to me, it's helpful to grasp what it's like to have a part of God's image in us to see how we are different from every other animal made. And our desire for relationship and love, above ALL other animals. My biggest regret for allowing my children to go through public school is they were told they were not really any different than a chimp. Graciously, they didn't fall for that rather obvious lie. I wish the devil would pick his poison, either we are gods or we are animals. fact is, we are neither.

Back