Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

In Today's News

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I agree with some of that which is why it got a like, but personally I have more trust in a bus than a self-driving car. Anything could happen because it wouldn't be under your control.
Anything happens now in human control. One advantage of automated driving is that nobody would speed and nobody would drive slower than traffic. Vehicles wouldn't have to 2nd guess what the other guy would do so merging into and out of traffic would be smoother. This would also result in fewer traffic jams and less rush-hour traffic.

The technology has a long way to go before it is ready. It could take engineers many years to figure it out.
It might not be that far out. I was reading about how Uber and others have been testing them in various places around the country. They still keep a live person in the driver's seat for bakup safety but they only ride along I believe.

Anything happens now in human control. One advantage of automated driving is that nobody would speed and nobody would drive slower than traffic. Vehicles wouldn't have to 2nd guess what the other guy would do so merging into and out of traffic would be smoother. This would also result in fewer traffic jams and less rush-hour traffic.

And you really think that technology can really always be that reliable a hundred percent? I brought up this exact same question in another thread. Glitches are always known to happen when it comes to computers. Surely you of all people should know this. Haven't you worked with computers before or something?

It might not be that far out. I was reading about how Uber and others have been testing them in various places around the country. They still keep a live person in the driver's seat for bakup safety but they only ride along I believe.

Most likely, it will be commercial vehicles first, such as long distance trucks. Easier for commercial companies to justify the extra expense, because they won't have to pay drivers that way. People don't have to pay themselves to drive their own cars, so many will try to save money by driving themselves in a regular car. At least until the technology becomes cheaper. Self driving cars tend to be pricey for now. Lidar costs $75,000 per car.

I'm with you on the snake. I wouldn't go near a 6 foot rattler.

I guess always lock your door when there is a sale next door.
20 years ago my neighbor in the city had a 3 or 4 foot rattler he caught in the wild. On sunny days he would let the snake roam his front yard to stretch its legs lol!

20 years ago my neighbor in the city had a 3 or 4 foot rattler he caught in the wild. On sunny days he would let the snake roam his front yard to stretch its legs lol!

Now even though I can't stand snakes, I don't agree with taking them or any other wild animal from their wild because that's their home. How would you like it if somebody took you out of your home and told you that you could never see your friends or family again? No, I promise that I'm not a spokeswoman for PETA. Lol! I'm just saying.

And you really think that technology can really always be that reliable a hundred percent? I brought up this exact same question in another thread. Glitches are always known to happen when it comes to computers. Surely you of all people should know this. Haven't you worked with computers before or something?
When it comes to repeatability and following the rules, yes, computers are going to be more reliable. Humans get rushed and when they do they take shortcuts such as speeding, passing on the shoulder, rolling stops, etc. Computers do the same thing everytime without question. I can't begin to count how many times I had to explain that to our service technicians when they blamed the programming for intermittent issues.

I personally believe people break down more than computers.

When it comes to repeatability and following the rules, yes, computers are going to be more reliable. Humans get rushed and when they do they take shortcuts such as speeding, passing on the shoulder, rolling stops, etc. Computers do the same thing everytime without question. I can't begin to count how many times I had to explain that to our service technicians when they blamed the programming for intermittent issues.

That's true. That's a very good point. The Lord programmed us all to love and serve Him yet we often breakdown and glitch. (that's not His mistake by the way since He's perfect and doesn't make mistakes that's on us)

My former next door neighbor had about a 10 foot boa. He would let it free to roam his house when he was at work, as his security system.

Waymo orders 20,000 Jaguars. The plan is to make them an automated fleet by 2020. Commercial vehicles will be soon. It could take longer for family cars. Maybe decades.

Do you have a GPS system for your car? If so how many times has it guided you to the wrong place or couldn't identify where you wanted to go???

Do you have a GPS system for your car? If so how many times has it guided you to the wrong place or couldn't identify where you wanted to go???
Have you ever used a map? How many times have they provided incorrect information? Note: I was a field service technician for my company for almost 15 years before I had a GPS system to rely on. Trust me, they are not that accurate.

Point being, they are only as accurate as the information submitted. Once accurate information is programmed and unless humans don't change things, it is always accurate and not forgotten. Unlike us humans that forget things all the time or get confused. For the record, the GPS I use for my vehicle is a Garmin nuvi and I update the maps at least once a year. It has not yet given me wrong information including providing routes around toll roads and avoiding gravel.

Have you ever used a map? How many times have they provided incorrect information?

That's all I ever use is a map and I have no problems finding where I need to go, having a good sense of direction makes life so much easier. If I have to go to a city I'm not familiar with I buy a map that's produced/sold there not one that I have access to hundreds of miles away...

Google maps are pretty accurate in most cities. Because our Androids are connected to Google, the maps are updated with real time information and can route you around construction or pile ups.
Cars are also starting to get connected to the cloud and can send road information as well as weather conditions. For example, I have OnStar and it maps every trip for me. I also have 4g wifi.

Another thing that computers are not subject to is getting sleepy and driving while distracted which includes many things we take for granted such as...
* texting
* doing crossword puzzles
* reading a book or newpaper
* talking on a phone (conventionally or over a sync'd system)
* tuning the radio
* digging through a CD library
* putting CDs in or out of the player
* connecting other media devices
* searching the audio library on other media devices
* eating
* adjusting climate temperature
* adjusting fan speed and air direction
* driving with frosty or fogged up windows because we don't take the time to do it
* searching through phone contacts
* dialing a phone
* conversing with others in the vehicle
* driving intoxicated or high

I can probably think of a few more if I give it some extra thought.

I've actually passed someone on a 4-lane highway in Minneapolis that I thought was maybe intoxicated or otherwise having trouble because he was swerving all over at 65mph. When I got along side of him he was holding his phone against his ear with one hand, working a crossword puzzle which he had balanced on his steering wheel with his other hand, and driving with his knee. Now that's inattentive driving to the max!

Computer controlled automobiles will never be 100% flawless. Things break down and sensors fail. But so do people who can suffer from seizures, heart attacks, and so forth.

Think about this. I may not be 100% correct on this but I believe commercial airliners are not manually controlled for the most part. They are controlled by computers accept maybe for landing and take off. I'll never forget the time we were coming back into the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport and it was so foggy I couldn't see the ground out the window. When I finally saw the ground, we were already over the runway and within a few feet of touching down. My guess is, the pilot wasn't flying it by sight either but was relying on his electronics to guide the plane. And yet, with over 15,000,000 flights per year in the US, flying is by far the safest way to travel.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back