Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Independent Baptists: A few questions…

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

HisSheep

I travel a lot for business, and I always try to find decent churches to attend when I’m in away from home. It’s a lot of fun, and I learn a lot. I’ve been the only white guy in a packed, “black†church. (Church of God in Christ) And I’ve been in stuffy Anglican Churches, the whole gamut… I am basically non-denominational, but I’m best described as Baptist. I like most of the churches I visit. I pick them carefully enough that I’ve never had to walk out!

I am a (recently admitted) member of an American Baptist Church. That’s a denomination, but the theology within the churches can vary dramatically; some are very conservative, and some pretty liberal. The memberships votes, and in that sense it is independent. (small “Iâ€) I would prefer to be a conservative voice in a more moderate church than surround myself with fellow conservatives, and I’m thankful to have a pretty conservative ABC church right down the street.

Some of the best preaching/teaching I’ve heard has been from “Independent Baptist†churches. This is practically a denomination. (Capital “Iâ€) I have since frequented their websites and downloaded scores (perhaps hundreds?) of sermons from them and listened while driving or flying. When I’m not traveling, I have a 1 hour commute (each way.) I agree with so much of the theology, but still, I have questions. I’m not looking for debate, just answers/opinions. Sorry in advance if I suppose anything untrue, it will only occur by ignorance.

1.) Why KJV only? Will an Independent Baptist reference other versions for reference? How about the RSV? ASV? Darby? I am primarily KJV, and regard it as the superior translation, but partly for esthetic reasons and portability. I mean to say, it is beautiful and it is recognized everywhere. It is the one to memorize verses from because it is “the coin of the land†so to speak. Plus I like the second person, personal pronouns for clarity (You, Ye, Thee, Thou, we never should have abandoned them!) Some Independent Baptist sources practically vilify the other translations. While there are certainly a lot of truly bad ones, they can’t ALL be bad, can they? We have made some enlightening archeological finds since 1611, after all. I’d be happy for something like the RSV with the old pronouns intact.

2.) To what extent do Independent Baptists allow for predestination? What do they “do†with this biblical precept? What do they make of verses like Rom 8:30 etc… Some Christians deny it altogether; some conclude that God predestined the salvation (process), but not the personal individuals, etc… I’ve heard teaching from two of these churches that Hell is filling up with souls because Christians don’t do enough soul winning. (That’s my paraphrase, and I know it’s clumsy, but you get the point.)

3.) Why the insistence on “traditional hymns� Don’t get me wrong, I love ‘em; got ‘em stuck in my head all day long! But many of them are only 100 years old. It’s not like they’re from 60AD. I could just as well decide that a hymn must be at least 500 years old before it can be properly used to Honor God… Imagine if our Granddads insisted on Issac Watts stuff and older, and wouldn’t sing a Fanny Crosby hymn because it was too modern and resembled the music of the world.… Now, I don’t like contemporary Christian music, (I don’t like contemporary secular music either!) but that’s basically because it’s pretty badly made, not because it’s necessarily unscriptural or new or has drums in it or anything like that. The kid’s choir (ages 6-10) at my church sang Chris Tomlin’s “Indescribable†last Sunday, and it was awesome. I don’t prefer Tomlin’s sterile studio production, but sung by a worshipful believer around the house or at church, it’s just beautiful. Also, I’ll add that there were a lot of junky hymns around in centuries past. Just get an old hymnal from the 1700’s and thumb through it, you’ll see what I mean.

Anyway, I won’t be able to reply for a while because of travel plans, but I always ponder these questions and a few others when I’m taking in the sermons and writings from Independent Baptist sources.

-HisSheep

How about the church of Christ? I mean one not liberal or leagalistic, but whats found in the Bible. If interested will help you get a list of such.

It 's been a really long time since I was an Independent Baptist. However, some at that time felt that only the KJV was truly inspired...though not all churches felt that way. I don't know the direction they are in now. BUT using the KJV allows for good memorization of Scripture, and reduces confusion in that respect. If we all memorized Scripture from one key version, then we can read any version or paraphrasing we wish, but still all have the base verse to build upon.

As for predestination, it was different beliefs back then, I can only suppose it is now. The ones I went to basically followed the Westminster Confession of Faith, though they would never admit it (I realized this later on.)

The reasons for using the good ole' hymns is that they present the gospel and strong beliefs much more than any praise chorus does. They are rich in theology, something the choruses generally fail at. They can be used to win others, while praise choruses are often too thin to do that. Plus, they give a deeper level of conviction and hope than the chorus generally does.

I like to sing choruses, don't get me wrong, but not to the exclusion of the hymns. I've never seen a fruitful invitation after a chorus, but I have many times after a good old fashioned hymn.

(Plus, I've realized many of the choruses are not doing anything but winding up the person singing them, some don't even praise God, but build up the person singing...meaning they edify the wrong person. ;)

I travel a lot for business, and I always try to find decent churches to attend when I’m in away from home. It’s a lot of fun, and I learn a lot. I’ve been the only white guy in a packed, “black†church. (Church of God in Christ) And I’ve been in stuffy Anglican Churches, the whole gamut… I am basically non-denominational, but I’m best described as Baptist. I like most of the churches I visit. I pick them carefully enough that I’ve never had to walk out!

I am a (recently admitted) member of an American Baptist Church. That’s a denomination, but the theology within the churches can vary dramatically; some are very conservative, and some pretty liberal. The memberships votes, and in that sense it is independent. (small “Iâ€) I would prefer to be a conservative voice in a more moderate church than surround myself with fellow conservatives, and I’m thankful to have a pretty conservative ABC church right down the street.

Some of the best preaching/teaching I’ve heard has been from “Independent Baptist†churches. This is practically a denomination. (Capital “Iâ€) I have since frequented their websites and downloaded scores (perhaps hundreds?) of sermons from them and listened while driving or flying. When I’m not traveling, I have a 1 hour commute (each way.) I agree with so much of the theology, but still, I have questions. I’m not looking for debate, just answers/opinions. Sorry in advance if I suppose anything untrue, it will only occur by ignorance.
I am not sure what the term "independent Baptist" means in your mind. I assume that this is a Baptist Church that is simply not associated with any fellowship or group of other Baptist Churches. In a way, that is not completely true. Most, so called, independent Baptists have their own schools, their own missions, etc. They might not be quite as formally organized, but they are not completely independent in the sense of being all alone. As for the Church I attend (still a non-member), it is a "regular Baptist Church." It is not formally associated with any fellowship. It has a school, but the school, but I believe the school is listed in the Reformed Baptist listing of schools. So the School is not really independent baptist.

1.) Why KJV only? Will an Independent Baptist reference other versions for reference? How about the RSV? ASV? Darby? I am primarily KJV, and regard it as the superior translation, but partly for esthetic reasons and portability. I mean to say, it is beautiful and it is recognized everywhere. It is the one to memorize verses from because it is “the coin of the land†so to speak. Plus I like the second person, personal pronouns for clarity (You, Ye, Thee, Thou, we never should have abandoned them!) Some Independent Baptist sources practically vilify the other translations. While there are certainly a lot of truly bad ones, they can’t ALL be bad, can they? We have made some enlightening archeological finds since 1611, after all. I’d be happy for something like the RSV with the old pronouns intact.
Our Church uses the NIV as pew bibles. I personally carry either the NASB and/or a GNT of the critical text variety. I generally encourage my family to carry bibles not related to the KJV. IMO the manuscript tradition of the KJV is inferior to the critical text.

2.) To what extent do Independent Baptists allow for predestination? What do they “do†with this biblical precept? What do they make of verses like Rom 8:30 etc… Some Christians deny it altogether; some conclude that God predestined the salvation (process), but not the personal individuals, etc… I’ve heard teaching from two of these churches that Hell is filling up with souls because Christians don’t do enough soul winning. (That’s my paraphrase, and I know it’s clumsy, but you get the point.)
Our church subscribes to the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith. That is a Baptist version of the Westminister Confession. Predestination is taught.

3.) Why the insistence on “traditional hymns� Don’t get me wrong, I love ‘em; got ‘em stuck in my head all day long! But many of them are only 100 years old. It’s not like they’re from 60AD. I could just as well decide that a hymn must be at least 500 years old before it can be properly used to Honor God… Imagine if our Granddads insisted on Issac Watts stuff and older, and wouldn’t sing a Fanny Crosby hymn because it was too modern and resembled the music of the world.… Now, I don’t like contemporary Christian music, (I don’t like contemporary secular music either!) but that’s basically because it’s pretty badly made, not because it’s necessarily unscriptural or new or has drums in it or anything like that. The kid’s choir (ages 6-10) at my church sang Chris Tomlin’s “Indescribable†last Sunday, and it was awesome. I don’t prefer Tomlin’s sterile studio production, but sung by a worshipful believer around the house or at church, it’s just beautiful. Also, I’ll add that there were a lot of junky hymns around in centuries past. Just get an old hymnal from the 1700’s and thumb through it, you’ll see what I mean.

Anyway, I won’t be able to reply for a while because of travel plans, but I always ponder these questions and a few others when I’m taking in the sermons and writings from Independent Baptist sources.

-HisSheep[/QUOTE]
I will probably not answer this question. I personally hate issues of music that bring contention. I don't actually care what kind of music a Church has. I have no opinions on the matter of contemporary music or the traditional. Rather then fight about Music, I would take all instruments and sit them in the Church parking lot with a "free" sign on them. When a Church is fighting or disagrees about a music program, they are not focused upon the word of God.

An Independent Baptist Church is one that is not a member of an organized entity that pool their monies to support goals, missions, start up of other churches, keeping statistics, make proclamations etc. Southern Baptists, American Baptists, Regular Baptists have their own convention of agreements, as do the Fellowship Baptists. The truly Independent Baptist is not affiliated with a larger unit but determines on it's own where the individual church's money will go and who own their own church properties (not owned by a denomination) .

There are loose associations, as you will find that the Fellowship Baptist consider themselves a composite of Independent Baptist churches, who agree to join together on some "missions."

I want to thank everyne for their responses. I agree with the opinions that you guys seemed to express. Gazelle, if you used to be “Independent Baptistâ€, what are you now?

Regarding hymns… How old is “Come Thou Font of Every Blessingâ€? Right? How long after “Blessed Assurance†was published did it become worthy of chuch singing? When was “Thou Art Worthy†written? 1970 or something. I like that one. I also like to sing “I’d Rather Have Jesusâ€. The guy who wrote the music (George Beverly Shea) is still going strong at 103! Is it old enough? Maybe “Indescribable†will be next to those songs in a hymnal 50 years from now… Again, I think I agree with you guys...

I am not sure what the term "independent Baptist" means in your mind. I assume that this is a Baptist Church that is simply not associated with any fellowship or group of other Baptist Churches.
I want to clarify… The “Independent Baptist†I am referring to is practically a denomonation in that it has a rigid doctrinal statement. Here is a link to a directory of such churches:

http://www.wayoflife.org/directory/

Notice that a church must answer a questionaire before a church can be listed. They're all very heavily KJO. These are lively, piano only churches with old-fasioned, fire-breathin’ preachers who pound the pulpit for an hour three times a week! Maybe you can find one near you…

American Baptist (My denom.) doesn’t have a statement of faith, preferring to let individual churches be independent in their doctrine. Even so, it is an affilliation, however benevolent. Either a shared, rigid doctrine, or financial cooperation is enough to make a denomonation in my book.

Further thoughts are welcome.

-HisSheep

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back