Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Infant Baptism and the Bible: Should Babies Be Baptized?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Whitney,

In the past there have been those on these forums who have used the exact same reasoning to conclude that true Christians only go to house churches and that meeting, as the majority of Christians do, in large church buildings is unbiblical.

This will not become a debate about such matters. This is only an example of the exact same reasoning you and others are using, only you are not using it consistently. It would seem to be a matter of convenient theology.

I only used this point, because Drew discredited all of the scripture I used to show one must believe before being baptized, even so with the eunuch who heard, believed and asked to be baptized. He is discrediting these examples, therefore how many examples of actions do we need before we are convinced that is the way it is?

Fair enough - you are a very polite debater and that is not saying something small - a lot of people, myself included, can take a lesson from your pleasant and peacable style of debate.

Thanks Drew, I can say the same about you!

I only used this point, because Drew discredited all of the scripture I used to show one must believe before being baptized, even so with the eunuch who heard, believed and asked to be baptized. He is discrediting these examples, therefore how many examples of actions do we need before we are convinced that is the way it is?
But that is my point exactly. People arguing against meeting in buildings that aren't houses just point to all the Scriptures that show believers meeting in houses and conclude that since those are the only examples we have in Scripture, then that is how church "has to be done".

That is what I mean by you and others using the same reasoning.

But that is my point exactly. People arguing against meeting in buildings that aren't houses just point to all the Scriptures that show believers meeting in houses and conclude that since those are the only examples we have in Scripture, then that is how church "has to be done".

That is what I mean by you and others using the same reasoning.

Got it! But homes is the only place we should meet.........

:lol
Just kidding.:)

we have some here that would argue that.

lol. we havent those wonderful home church debates in a while where the posters wouldnt even use a creed and vehemently denied that they want one and by that they contradicted themselves.

True, but surely you are not suggesting that "numbers" determine the proper position on an issue?

no, just that its less common.

the rcc is the largest of the bunch that do baptise infants , followed by the lutherans, we have the missouri synod and the ecla(that is we still call them a christian group since they endorse open gays as ministers) and to the south the greek orthodox.(not im my county)

Haha. I was late getting the email for the previous post. I was about to say "I hope you're only joking but at least you're being consistent." :thumbsup

I'm always consistent.....inconsistently so, but that in itself is consistent, right? ha

we have some here that would argue that.

lol. we havent those wonderful home church debates in a while where the posters wouldnt even use a creed and vehemently denied that they want one and by that they contradicted themselves.

Well, now it could be argued the way the churches are set up today and what they teach is not always Bibical. Maybe Drew will want to argue that next. :)

Well, now it could be argued the way the churches are set up today and what they teach is not always Bibical. Maybe Drew will want to argue that next. :)
I brought it up only to make a point about the error in reasoning against infant baptism using the biblical examples you posted. Let's not get into it in this thread.

I brought it up only to make a point about the error in reasoning against infant baptism using the biblical examples you posted. Let's not get into it in this thread.

I was just joking about Drew wanting to debate it, I don't want to debate for a long while. LOL

Where does the Bible tell us that baptism should only be performed on an individual with either "understanding" or repentance. Please give specific texts from the Bible.

In every single example provided, unless that means nothing at all to you and examples are pointless. Wouldn't it have been simple for the Holy Spirit to write that they should baptize infants..?

Consider this: Does a vaccination help an infant? Obviously it does. Do we choose to not vaccinate because the child does not understand what is going on? Of course not - we vaccinate them anyway. So where does the Bible tell us that one has to "understand and repent" before baptism?

Again, in every single scriptural example there is... doesn't that mean anything to you ? AND here your argument seems to be that you can make them be born again because they can't understand ? Again, baptize all you want but just don't tell me that they're born again afterwards.. or that they have shown repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. All that they will become is wet babies.

Two points:

1. There are stories of entire households being baptized - how do you know there were no infants?

Again, because every single example in the scriptures says otherwise. If you'd like to pretend that this doesn't matter one iota, then so be it.

2. Even if there are no examples of infants being baptized, I trust you understand that a set of examples do not justify a generalization. If I see five women going into a restaurant, should I conclude that this restaurant is only visited by women? Such a conclusion is not justified.

Maybe you feel free to conclude anything you want..? Baptize away... let's make all infants born again !

You have to make an actual Biblical case that one must "understand" prior to baptism.

If every example in the bible is meaningless to you, then what difference would that make ?

No one has succeeded in doing so in this thread. They all either do not understand that they cannot assume the very thing they should be proving or they make the error of assuming that examples establish a general principle.

And what's your assumption, that you can make infants born again because you say so ? Good job, what have you gained here..?

What makes you want to baptize infants ? Do you believe that it makes them born again ?

I have already addressed this issue. I will repost the material below:

Drew said:
Re: Infant Baptism and the Bible: Should Babies Be Baptized?
I want to point out another error that people can make in arguing against adult baptism. The basic argument is as follows:

1. All the examples of people being instructed to be baptized are adults who are enjoined to repent and then be baptized.

2. This is compelling evidence of a general principle - baptism has to follow repentance and "understanding".

There is an error in this thinking and it is this: It is, of course, the nature of the case that any "instruction" would only be given to those who can understand it, that is adults.

Does it make sense to instruct an infant that s/he should be vaccinated? Of course not - the infant cannot understand what is going on. So, of course, there will never be any "record" of people instructing infants to get vaccinated.

But it would be a logical error to assume, based on the absence of such instructions to infants, that infants should not be baptized.

Another aspect of the discussion should be...

Why baptize babies ?

What do they need to repent of..?

IMO (and of course this is only opinion), babies are completely innocent before the Lord.. that doesn't mean that we don't inherit the sin of Adam (another piece of this).. because I think that we do all share in Adam's fallen nature, even from birth.. although an infant has absolutely no perception of things like disobedience or deception, the two main ingredients we find in the garden when Adam did fall, as a man, not as a child.

I think that it's interesting that John's gospel tells us that He is that true light which lighteth every MAN that comes into the world.. because we're guilty before God as MEN, not as children.

Unless ye become as a little children, ye cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Just some more thoughts on an interesting topic.

Another aspect of the discussion should be...

Why baptize babies ?

What do they need to repent of..?

IMO (and of course this is only opinion), babies are completely innocent before the Lord.. that doesn't mean that we don't inherit the sin of Adam (another piece of this).. because I think that we do all share in Adam's fallen nature, even from birth.. although an infant has absolutely no perception of things like disobedience or deception, the two main ingredients we find in the garden when Adam did fall, as a man, not as a child.

I think that it's interesting that John's gospel tells us that He is that true light which lighteth every MAN that comes into the world.. because we're guilty before God as MEN, not as children.

Unless ye become as a little children, ye cannot enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Just some more thoughts on an interesting topic.

Dear friend, What do you do with the Scripture where Jesus says, "Forbid them

not". On what basis can baptism be rightly forbidden to children. When Christ

says "forbid them not". Is not baptism coming to Christ? Christ says don't

forbid the little children from coming to Him. The Spirit of the text brings life;

the letter killeth. The spirit of this verse certainly suggests infant baptism is

not forbidden by Christ. In Erie Scott

Dear friend, What do you do with the Scripture where Jesus says, "Forbid them

not". On what basis can baptism be rightly forbidden to children. When Christ

says "forbid them not". Is not baptism coming to Christ? Christ says don't

forbid the little children from coming to Him. The Spirit of the text brings life;

the letter killeth. The spirit of this verse certainly suggests infant baptism is

not forbidden by Christ. In Erie Scott

The verse says nothing at all about baptism.. it says exactly what it says.. don't forbid children to come to Christ... where do you get water baptism from this verse ?

And again.. WHY would an infant need to repent of anything.. ? Do you believe that an infant is guilty before God ?

The verse says nothing at all about baptism.. it says exactly what it says.. don't forbid children to come to Christ... where do you get water baptism from this verse ?

And again.. WHY would an infant need to repent of anything.. ? Do you believe that an infant is guilty before God ?

on that note.

if a mother who isnt a christian has an infant and it dies where will said infant go?

if a christian mother has a child and doesnt baptise his or her child where will the child go if it dies?

on that note.

if a mother who isnt a christian has an infant and it dies where will said infant go?

if a christian mother has a child and doesnt baptise his or her child where will the child go if it dies?

Dear jasoncran, Infants can go to heaven without being baptized. If God says so,

so can anybody else that God says can go. That doesn't mean infants should not

be baptized. And adults too.

Back