Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Infant baptism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
Infant Baptism

Luke 18:15-17
And they brought unto him also infants, that he would touch them: but when his disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

Acts 2:38-39 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Promise is to you’re children! Vs 39

This promise made in ez 36
A promise from God is a sacred oath, and a sacred oath is a sacrament!

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Jn 3:5 born again by water and the spirit.

Acts 16:15 entire household baptized! Does not say adults only or except infants!

Ez 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness.

(It does not say adults only or except infants!)
(Scripture does not say anywhere “do not baptized infants”)

Baptism is the Christian initiation sacrament of the new covenant for all men. Matt 28:19 Jn 1:29 Jn 3:16

1 Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. (It does not say except infants!) (but it does say “all”)!

Lk 1:10-11 all people including infants

Thee faith is required for adult baptism.
Mk 16:16 acts 8:36-38

If it’s not possible (as in the case of infants) it’s not required.

But the promise of the parents to raise and educate the child in the faith is required, then the child is confirmed in thee faith at the age of reason.

Repentance is required for adult baptism. Acts 2:38

If there is no personal sin to repent of (as in the case of infants) then it’s not required.

For two thousand years the church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles has always baptized infants!

Acts 1:8
Witness of Augustine!

It is this one Spirit who makes it possible for an infant to be regenerated . . . when that INFANT is brought to baptism; and it is through this one Spirit that the infant so presented is reborn. For it is not written, "Unless a man be born again by the will of his parents" or "by the faith of those presenting him or ministering to him," but, "Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Spirit." The water, therefore, manifesting exteriorly the sacrament of grace, and the Spirit effecting interiorly the benefit of grace, both regenerate in one Christ that man who was generated in Adam (Letters 98:2 [A.D. 408]).

“The sacrament of baptism is most assuredly the sacrament of regeneration” (ibid., 2:27:43).

“Baptism washes away all, absolutely all, our sins, whether of deed, word, or thought, whether sins original or added, whether knowingly or unknowingly contracted” (Against Two Letters of the Pelagians 3:3:5 [A.D. 420]).

“This is the meaning of the great sacrament of baptism, which is celebrated among us: all who attain to this grace die thereby to sin—as he himself [Jesus] is said to have died to sin because he died in the flesh (that is, ‘in the likeness of sin’)—and they are thereby alive by being reborn in the baptismal font, just as he rose again from the sepulcher. This is the case no matter what the age of the body. For whether it be a newborn infant or a decrepit old man—since no one should be barred from baptism—just so, there is no one who does not die to sin in baptism. Infants die to original sin only; adults, to all those sins which they have added, through their evil living, to the burden they brought with them at birth” (Handbook on Faith, Hope, and Love 13[41] [A.D. 421]).

Promise is to you’re children! Vs 39

Context is always key.
Acts 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

The context is of the need to repent and that includes children, who God has called.

Hi Don,
I agree that infants have always been baptized from the beginning of the church.
This is written by the ECFs and so it must certainly be true.

I stopped reading at the Augustine part because I know he's a real brain and doctor of the CC,
but I don't care for him and how he changed his ideas, I don't like that he came from a gnostic sect that influenced him,
and I certainly don't like how he changed the reason for baptism.
Which is not biblical in my opinion.

Context is always key.
Acts 2:38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

The context is of the need to repent and that includes children, who God has called.
Not really f it’s not possible! Something not possible is not required

I guess you don’t believe Jesus is “the way” cos there is no context for it, if a verse is not context how can a partial verse just two words be context?

Not really f it’s not possible! Something not possible is not required

I guess you don’t believe Jesus is “the way” cos there is no context for it, if a verse is not context how can a partial verse just two words be context?

I really don't know what you are talking about.
I have not quoted any two word verse.

I really don't know what you are talking about.
I have not quoted any two word verse.
It’s not a verse, only a partial verse, just two words “the way” Jesus is the way but there can be no context for it!

If a verse is not context how can two words be context?

Yet all Christians believe Jesus is “the way”! Jn 14:6

Thanks

It’s not a verse, only a partial verse, just two words “the way” Jesus is the way but there can be no context for it!

If a verse is not context how can two words be context?

Yet all Christians believe Jesus is “the way”! Jn 14:6

Thanks

The verse is Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by him.

And only two of those words say he is the way!

No context is possible
Jesus is THE WAY kind of says it all.

Jesus is many things....they are all in context when considered with what He taught.

JESUS IS
THE DOOR
THE WAY
THE BREAD
THE WATER
THE SHEPHERD
THE LIGHT
THE LIFE

I'm sure there's more.

In each instance, we can understand what Jesus means and agree with it if we're the type of Christian that reads the bible at times. Even if we don't remember everything, the I AM's certainly are remembered. Oh, and He is also the great I AM.

I an THE WAY means that if you want to be on the right path, you must follow Jesus to that path.
It reminds me of the narrow road and the wide road. Jesus is the correct road to take.

Do you not agree?

Jesus is THE WAY kind of says it all.

Jesus is many things....they are all in context when considered with what He taught.

JESUS IS
THE DOOR
THE WAY
THE BREAD
THE WATER
THE SHEPHERD
THE LIGHT
THE LIFE

I'm sure there's more.

In each instance, we can understand what Jesus means and agree with it if we're the type of Christian that reads the bible at times. Even if we don't remember everything, the I AM's certainly are remembered. Oh, and He is also the great I AM.

I an THE WAY means that if you want to be on the right path, you must follow Jesus to that path.
It reminds me of the narrow road and the wide road. Jesus is the correct road to take.

Do you not agree?
Yes but I’m opposing the idea that “i don’t have to accept your doctrine or teaching cos you only quoted one verse” no context and they use it as an excuse to reject Christ, his church, and his revelation!

If all scripture is the inspired word of God and the words of Jesus are eternal then even one word is enough! Thanks

Yes but I’m opposing the idea that “i don’t have to accept your doctrine or teaching cos you only quoted one verse” no context and they use it as an excuse to reject Christ, his church, and his revelation!

If all scripture is the inspired word of God and the words of Jesus are eternal then even one word is enough! Thanks
It didn't seem like the other member was opposing Christ.
Sorry if I misunderstood.
In this case, yes, two words are sufficient.
Maybe I meant it for him and posted to you by mistake....
:shrug

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back