Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Introductions

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
L

Lyric's Dad

Hi all. I have been asked to mod this forum so I thought an introduction would be in order. I am a single father of a sweet little girl. Was married for several years but she decided to look elsewhere and now it is just me and my daughter. I am glad to be here and think these are very important topics. Hoping I can learn some good parenting skills while here as well as share the knowlege the years of doing this on my own have given me. Anyway, if there is anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask. Maybe we could have an introduction thread here as this is kind of a thread that creates a mini community inside the board.

Any other single parents in here?

God bless <J><

Hi Lyric's Dad.

I am not a single parent but I was raised by one. It was just my mum and me (her little girl too :wink: ) for many years.

Any parent is going to make mistakes raising children, as I am discovering with my two-year old girl. Being a single parent comes with added challenges though.

Just keep reminding the little one that you love her always and that mum does as well. In the absence of a parent it is still important they believe that parent still loves them.

For many years I blamed myself for my father leaving but it just wasn't the case. If he had more contact with me; or if my mother complained a little less about him and reminded me that he loved me regardless of his inability to be my father - then maybe I wouldn't have been so hard on myself?

I say "maybe" because as I have not lived the case; I cannot speak from experience. One would hope that love and reassurance can help a child adjust to difficult circumstances.

One would also hope that you have some family and/or friends around who can love and reassure you as well. It is important that your love tank doesn't get too low either.

Klee shay said:
Hi Lyric's Dad.

I am not a single parent but I was raised by one. It was just my mum and me (her little girl too :wink: ) for many years.

Any parent is going to make mistakes raising children, as I am discovering with my two-year old girl. Being a single parent comes with added challenges though.

Just keep reminding the little one that you love her always and that mum does as well. In the absence of a parent it is still important they believe that parent still loves them.

For many years I blamed myself for my father leaving but it just wasn't the case. If he had more contact with me; or if my mother complained a little less about him and reminded me that he loved me regardless of his inability to be my father - then maybe I wouldn't have been so hard on myself?

I say "maybe" because as I have not lived the case; I cannot speak from experience. One would hope that love and reassurance can help a child adjust to difficult circumstances.

One would also hope that you have some family and/or friends around who can love and reassure you as well. It is important that your love tank doesn't get too low either.
very wise advice indeed. I do have a wonderful mother who I decided to get the house directly across from. She has taken on the mothering role for my daughter and filled that need. It is a wonderful thing. Not only that but she has been a world of help in raising her as she has the answers and wisdom I would have to learn through trial and error without. It would be SO much more difficult without her. I really do not show enough gratitude to her. That is something I need to look into. Anyway, thanks for the wise post. Some things to think on in my walk.

Where one door is closed the Lord will open another. Truly you are blessed to have that kind of support and guidance. What a great big heart your mother must have, not only to love her son but to also share that same love with her grand-daughter as well.

You have a wondeful family evironment there.

God bless. :biggrin

I'm Josie and I, too used to be married and am now a single parent. I have two girls who are ages 8 and 5, although they are both about to celebrate a birthday. I try very hard to give my home to God and let Him be the Spiritual leader of this family. It's very hard, especially when I do not have a huge network of support...but I try.

I gotta tell ya though, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world. I love my girls and I have learned so much from them...the rewards of being a mother are just incredible. What a blessing straight from above!

Homeskillet said:
I'm Josie and I, too used to be married and am now a single parent. I have two girls who are ages 8 and 5, although they are both about to celebrate a birthday. I try very hard to give my home to God and let Him be the Spiritual leader of this family. It's very hard, especially when I do not have a huge network of support...but I try.

I gotta tell ya though, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world. I love my girls and I have learned so much from them...the rewards of being a mother are just incredible. What a blessing straight from above!
How very true. I sometimes deeply regret that my wife and I did not do better together. I was much to blame for the unrest in my home. I was not a Christian at the time and my life was lived for me. But at the same time, I am so grateful for the relationship that this has given me with my daughter. God truly does work all those mess ups I have created for good if we will just follow Him.

God bless. <J><

Hi LC,

I am a mother of three little ones 3,6, and 8. I just adore them, and I'm happy that God has blessed my life with them. I have been a widow for 18 months. My husband (36) died suddenly of a birth defect in his heart that was undetected. The Lord has been our Comforter, our Provider, and our Source of Love and Life. We have been blessed beyond words, and I know that through God' faithfulness we will continue to be though that joy unspeakable.

Blessings,
Lovely

Klee shay said:
Lovely, your faith is a shining example to us all.
Amen to that. I wish I had that kind of peace. Maybe it is just having to go through it and then experiencing the peace God has for you. Thanks for your testimony there Lovely.

I am a step-dad to two daughters, ages 9 and 11. I have been married for about a year and a half. My wife and I are atheists. The kid's father is Christian. His parents are Buddhists. My wife's parents are agnostic. So the kids are being brought up in a pretty diverse religious setting.

I have never been married before, though I have lived with several of my girlfriends. Some of them had children, so I have had a variety of experiences helping raise children from the non-biological father role.

Quath

Back