Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is age still a factor...

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yup, it is a very important factor. There are certain periods in life where people really grow and mature in their personality and spiritually. For example freshman year of college most people think they can rule the world and know it all, but reality sets in and God humbles them severly.

There are always exceptions, but the majority of people are roughly at the same spiritual adn maturational level as the rest of the people their age.

No, not really, atleast not initially. Knarfs makes a good point on the "life stages" though, but to "grab a coffee and have a conversation", I'm not that worried about it.

The guy I marry or date I would like to be older than me, or at least the same age as me. I would have a hard time marrying a man who was younger than me. :tongue
-McQ 8-)

Age is really only a number, it is the personality and the way they carry themselves that makes a difference. Knarf's hit it on the head with the "life stages" but not everyone goes through them at specific times. I have dated or known women that at age 21 acted like they were 29, very mature and poised, and there were some that were 32 that acted like they were 19 always wanting to play games and not take anything serious. So what it boils down to for me is really how mature they act, not what age they are.

I don't think I would be comfortable with dating/marrying a guy who is younger then me. I think the oldest I would be willing to go is 7 years older then me.
Like GA_Teg said maturity plays a big part in the decision too. 8-)

The question was about "dating"....but I don't believe dating as society defines it is all that biblically correct, but as far as a potential Christian spouse, age doesn't matter. Well, I'd say between the ages of 25 to late 40's ....but older than that might be creepy. I'm 29. It really depends on the person, and our like mindedness as far as faith goes.

Amity, I soooooo agree about today's societal dating definition.

For me, age doesn't matter. I'm willing to wait a few years to meet someone younger or be in a relationship with an older gal. The First step still needs to be the same, are they the one God has planned for you. If you can't answer yes to the Question, you better not date them.

I don't think I'd want to date someone who is way older than me. I figure about ten years tops. I don't really think I'd want to date who's a few years younger than me, either. Really though, I'd have to listen to God's guidance on it, then make a concrete decision.

I do agree with the others, though. I think maturity is a major element. I don't want to date someone who's a few years older than me, but acts like my twelve year old brother. I would look at their maturity - spiritually, and intellectually. I don't mean that he would have to be a genius when I say that. I mean like common sense and such.

I guess to answer your question, I reckon it's not as big of a deal with me as it is with others. I would prefer to date someone closer to my own age, but if God has other ideas, so be it.

Age can be a huge factor, it doesn't always matter but is definitely dependant on the two individuals. We all know different ages often mark different points in people's lives and sometimes may find two people heading in different directions or going through different things. All the more reason to think with your head and not your heart and to be conscious of the other person's situation as well as your own.

Age doesn't matter to me. It truly IS just a number.
What matters most is the maturity of the person and the compatibility you both have despite the age factor.

My personal opinion is to say that age doesn't necessarily matter. It does depend on the people, their maturity, and a few other factors. I am dating a man who is 14 years older than I am.

My wife was 18 and I was 25 when we married. We have been together for 26 years now with 5 wonderful sons.

We have similar interests and goals. But we also have our own things. He has come and visited here and I have gone and visited there. I actually just got back Saturday from visiting him and his family. His parents were missionaries and now his brother and sister-in-law are missionaries. His family is awesome...it was fun to be there...and his nieces and nephews love me...kids adore me for some odd reason. lol.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back