Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Being Against Tatoos the Law?

Should Christians Have Tatoos?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Pontius Pilate (I wash my hands)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Don't be silly!

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It's not the Baptist thing to do!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Church of the Enlightened Path does it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
..i have a friend who reminds of my wife when she was younger ...she works with me at the paper route. she is older then me and has tattoos.
@jasoncran : I know what you mean, and it's good to be careful even if a lady is being friendly or even too friendly. I guess you mean this person that you mention isn't a Christian?

I guess the best thing would be to be polite, keep her at a distance and pray for her conversion.

(I'll pray for her, too :pray .)

Blessings.

ya think! she isn't a Christian for sure.

yes but the sad thing here is that NOT all will do that. once you can get into tattoing for a living are you as business really going expect to make it only wrist.arms and leg tattoos? would you refuse to tattoo any where else. ie the back? the abdomen? of above the knees. I can see it now a local tattoo parlor ministry in the church.
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]:

I know what you mean; still, Christian men and women become doctors and nurses and I guess they are seeing people in varying states of undress pretty well all the time; I guess the difference is, if it's in a professional context.

But I would also say that if a Christian can't handle what being a doctor, nurse (even tattoo artist? :chin) entails, then they shouldn't do it.

Blessings.
yes but its one thing for medicine and police work another for simply painting.have you ever gone to an art show? I have. it seems this place I went to had section for nude art. all that stuff was near each other.

I do not have tattoos and never will. I think our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and therefore we should not deface it. I also wonder what those tattoos will look like in 40 or 50 years. Pretty funny on an old man or woman. Well, maybe not a man, but certainly on a woman!

On the other hand, my ears are pierced. Maybe that is wrong too? I like to wear earrings that don't hurt my ears. And I can take them out for surgery, x-rays, etc.

And speaking of doctors, it is really a different thing to have a doctor look at you in order to help you or save your life, than a so-called "artist" to have access to private areas.

Or maybe I am just too old to be in this discussion? I guess I come from a time when no-one had tattoos. Interesting that my children never got any either. No roads are barred to them, which might be the case to those with excessive tattooing. Like it or not!

Hi @MysticalJourney :

Thank-you for your considered comments.

Re. pierced ears, firstly, I would have thought that very, very few Christians would begrudge a lady getting a couple (or more?) of holes in her earlobes. (Figuratively, the Lord Himself is even recorded as giving earrings - and even a nose ring - to Zion in Ezekiel 16.12.) There is actually another thread about this aspect.

"Or maybe I am just too old to be in this discussion? I guess I come from a time when no-one had tattoos."

While some people do think that all tattoos are ugly, period, I'm not sure that these days the age of the person is much of a barrier to the parlor trip. (I'm speaking hypothetically now; I'm not implying you or anyone supposedly 'ought' to get a tattoo.)

Do you ever read the Huffington Post? and did you happen to see this article a while ago?
Quote from Michelle Gallo-Kohlas :

“’Most of my clients are in the older bracket,’ Gallo-Kohlas told The Huffington Post. ‘We see a lot of women in their sixties and seventies getting their first tattoos.’ Gallo-Kohlas recalls a woman in her sixties who got a tattoo because everyone in the golf clique at her gated community had one. It seemed like the thing to do in order to fit in.’ source: huffingtonpost.com

This is not to suggest this is necessarily good, bad or indifferent and I think that what others are doing should in no way prescriptive of what an individual wishes to do. But the generational observation in this article extract is quite interesting, isn't it? particularly for those who were maybe not so aware of just how prevalent the practice has become across the generations.

Blessings.
<O:tongue</O< font>

Psalm 103, verses 11 and 12

For as the heavens are high above the earth...
For as the heavens are high above the earth...​
So great His mercy toward those who fear Him
Toward those who fear Him.​

As far as the East is from the West
As far as the East is from the West​
So far(!) has He removed our transgressions from us.

[video=youtube;if37qRI2ohQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if37qRI2ohQ&[/video]

Re. pierced ears, firstly, I would have thought that very, very few Christians would begrudge a lady getting a couple (or more?) of holes in her earlobes. (Figuratively, the Lord Himself is even recorded as giving earrings - and even a nose ring - to Zion in Ezekiel 16.12.) There is actually another thread about this aspect.
In the book of Exodus, we see the sons of Israel had earrings. No lawful, historical, or cultural prohibition against them for men exists.

From a completely personal point of view, women should wear earrings, not men. Nothing religious connected with that personal feeling. (Ha! Just when you thought I was a misguided, religious bigot....lol!)

Neither should women shake hands.......or say, "BOOM!"

Do you ever read the Huffington Post? and did you happen to see this article a while ago?

“’Most of my clients are in the older bracket,’ Gallo-Kohlas told The Huffington Post. ‘We see a lot of women in their sixties and seventies getting their first tattoos.’ Gallo-Kohlas recalls a woman in her sixties who got a tattoo because everyone in the golf clique at her gated community had one. It seemed like the thing to do in order to fit in.’ source: huffingtonpost.com

This is not to suggest this is necessarily good, bad or indifferent and I think that what others are doing should in no way prescriptive of what an individual wishes to do. But the generational observation in this article extract is quite interesting, isn't it? particularly for those who were maybe not so aware of just how prevalent the practice has become across the generations.

Why do we have to know that it's popular among the pagans when considering it's place in the church? I simply do not understand this twisted logic.

Last edited by a moderator:
farouk,

Okay, you seem to suggest that you understand Romans 14 well. Assuming that's true and, therefore, not needing to revisit Paul's teaching there, do you think the chapter is teaching that Christians can now bring meats sacrificed to idols into the church?

Paul doesn't prohibit the eating of meats offered up in sacrifice to false gods at local temples. That much is clear (just do it in secret). But do you think he was teaching that Christians can literally bring that practice into their worship of God...just as you are advocating bringing the pagan practice of tattooing into the church and the worship of God?

This is what I was trying to get at concerning the subject of rock music (and bikinis, and cigars, and......).

In the book of Exodus, we see the sons of Israel had earrings. No lawful, historical, or cultural prohibition against them for men exists.

From a completely personal point of view, women should wear earrings, not men. Nothing religious connected with that personal feeling. (Ha! Just when you thought I was a misguided, religious bigot....lol!)

Neither should women shake hands.

Why do we have to know that it's popular among the pagans when considering it's place in the church? I simply do not understand this twisted logic.

Again, Bro. Jethro, I did write that this observation was not mentioned necessarily as something good, bad or indifferent. You now say I'm supposedly using 'twisted logic'. Oh well...

And women shouldn't shake hands, either? in your personal opinion. (Oh well... I wonder how many women in business, the law etc. would greet people and do deals without the handshake... :chin But I guess we digress...)

Blessings.

Again, Bro. Jethro, I did write that this observation was not mentioned necessarily as something good, bad or indifferent. You now say I'm supposedly using 'twisted logic'. Oh well...
It's clear you're using the popularity and acceptance of tattooing in the world as a rationalization, or at least a consideration, for if Christians should be doing it...and not only that, but doing it for 'religious' purposes.

And women shouldn'd shake hands, either? in your personal opinion. (Oh well... I wonder how many women in business, the law etc. would greet people and do deals without the handshake... :chin But I guess we digress...)

Blessings.
Yes, you digress, lol.

I'm entitled to my personal, non-religious POV's, just as you are.

It's clear you're using the popularity and acceptance of tattooing in the world as a rationalization, or at least a consideration, for if Christians should be doing it...and not only that, but doing it for 'religious' purposes.

And women shouldn'd shake hands, either? in your personal opinion. (Oh well... I wonder how many women in business, the law etc. would greet people and do deals without the handshake... :chin But I guess we digress...)

Blessings.
Yes, you digress, lol.

I'm entitled to my personal, non-religious POV's, just as you are.

Jethro: I don't think I've ever said anyone should get a tattoo (or shouldn't, for that matter).

A lot do, though, including Christians getting faith based ones.

Blessings.

PS:

..I also wonder what those tattoos will look like in 40 or 50 years. Pretty funny on an old man or woman. Well, maybe not a man, but certainly on a woman!..
[MENTION=96429]MysticalJourney[/MENTION]: What I would add is that your observation might be reasonable here at a certain level, but it's kind of subjective, I suppose. I guess an objective comment also would be that women now exercise tattoo equality with men; for_his_glory, a frequent contributor, has commented:
for_his_glory said:
The gender aspect should be the same for a women or a man, but since you did say a women then I would have no problem with that of a women owning her own parlor, but needs to be discreet.

(Other regular posters have also commented in a similar vein.)

Blessings.

And women shouldn't shake hands, either?

Brothers are admonished to greet each other with an holy kiss. I hope you know that I'm on our side. Ours.

Pardon the advert to another thread but there is a kiss for those who will receive it found in this POST #3 of the thread in General Talk, titled: "So Shall My Word Be"

If 20 of us spoke, would our voices be lost in the din and clamor? But if we, as his dedicated instruments, allowed His breath to play on the chords of our hearts and spoke in song? Would there not be harmony?

Last edited by a moderator:
But if we, as his dedicated instruments, allowed His breath to play on the chords of our hearts and spoke in song? Would there not be harmony?

"Then a band of demons joined in and it sounded something like this."

(For those of you who don't recognize it:
From 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia' by Charlie Daniels)

Heaven help us.

Zing: "And another one bites the dust." Why are we told to not answer a fool according to his folly in one place and told yet in another to indeed answer a fool in his folly? How may I, the fool, hear you well?

Elements and musical movements of discord are often intertwined in the symphony. I think you are singing in tune.

Heaven help us.

Zing: "And another one bites the dust." Why are we told to not answer a fool according to his folly in one place and told yet in another to indeed answer a fool in his folly? How may I, the fool, hear you well?

Elements and musical movements of discord are often intertwined in the symphony. I think you are singing in tune.

Dissonance in limited and passing use is a perfectly acceptable and enjoyable and legitimate part of music. Am I right, Classik, or am I right?

PS:
[MENTION=96429]MysticalJourney[/MENTION] and others who bodybuild: (I think, MJ, you said on the other thread that you are a bodybuilder.) I heard of someone who wanted an armband tattoo - sort of tribal/Celtic - around her biceps with maybe some Scripture ref.s interwoven. Sounded like an interesting idea, which also could preach well, on some occasions.

Blessings.

[video=youtube;r5x0Umsnfog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5x0Umsnfog&[/video]

Find and sing for me the song that states we are to NOT allow our liberty to make the Grace of God a vain thing.
Wait, one second... processing...

[video=youtube;9QLbxK29A9Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QLbxK29A9Y&[/video]

Let us confess unto Him
that we may be forgiven by the One who is Faithful, that we may be Purged and cleansed
according to His Promise.​

..i have a friend who reminds of my wife when she was younger ...she works with me at the paper route. she is older then me and has tattoos.
@jasoncran : I know what you mean, and it's good to be careful even if a lady is being friendly or even too friendly. I guess you mean this person that you mention isn't a Christian?

I guess the best thing would be to be polite, keep her at a distance and pray for her conversion.

(I'll pray for her, too :pray .)

Blessings.

ya think! she isn't a Christian for sure.
[MENTION=11841]jasoncran[/MENTION]: BTW, is she the lady that you uploaded a photo of some months ago, who has a tattoo sleeve?

Blessings.

[MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]: So you're brother is doing well, after his long session under the inking needle, then?

Don't be surprised if he eventually starts talking about plans for more ink; it can be addicting (in a more or less benign sense).

Blessings.

I believe tatoos are between the believer and God Personally. I believe my Judgment of someone else and "what they are doing" Is held to more of a critical eye(judgment) than the actual "thing" of which I judge.
[MENTION=95330]gr8grace[/MENTION]: An adult Christian doesn't need to go to someone else first to ask whether s/he can go under the needle, say, for some faith related ink, right? :chin

Blessings.

Yes. A wise and mature Christian might seek out advice though. They are still free to make that choice.

I think as we mature, we will see more clearly what is beneficial and what is not for our lives and others around us. As we go further with the Lord we will begin to see what is good and what is even better.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back