Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Being Against Tatoos the Law?

Should Christians Have Tatoos?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Pontius Pilate (I wash my hands)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Don't be silly!

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It's not the Baptist thing to do!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Church of the Enlightened Path does it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yes, the design is very nice.

It's not an overtly Christian theme, but it's not anti-Christian either. He is a Christian.
[MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]:

Yes, I agree with you about Christianity and family! :)

Kind of nice and memorable anyway that he chose to commemorate becoming a man with identifying himself with you guys and taking this identification into adulthood, so to speak. I guess your parents would be particularly pleased.

Blessings.

I think it should be cautiously approached

PS: [MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]:

Yes, you are right about caution. Careful preparation and planning is all part of it. When the person has decided on his or her design, it's good to 'sit on it' for many months before finally going ahead.

Sometimes Christians have the dilemma of liking so many Bible references that they can't decide which to go with, in the end.

Blessings.

Here's my brother's tattoo he got today.

View attachment 4626

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk 2

Hi [MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]:

Thanks; looks really good. Your bro. will be sore for a bit, but doubtless he decided long ago that the pain would be worth it (did he manage to avoid using numbing cream, maybe?) It's in a good calligraphic style; kind of ornate; almost tribal. I reckon your mom and dad will touched to think that he has become a man at 18 and wanting to carry with him this attachment to his family.

Blessings.

I just googled tattoo images and after being rather disturbed and bothered by what people have done to their bodies, I will go with number iii). To many satan driven and inspired tattoo's would have come out of that parlor. If you aren't separate from the world, you are part of it. Titus 2:12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, 1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. James 4:4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. I won't beat around the bush Farouk, what you are advocating and suggesting is wrong and you are suckering (not all of us) Christians into going the way of the world. I was with my children at the pool a while ago, and from what I saw, not having a tattoo puts one in the minority. I am trying hard every day to be separate from the world, yet you throw an open invitation to walk in the ways of the world. Aside from personal opinions stated here and elsewhere, there has been ample enough scripture testifying to be separate from the world, etc. So why can you not just cease and desist with it? Do you really want to put God to the test? There is no better witness then saying to someone Jesus loves them, and then to act accordingly.

Has the whole thread become ungodly?

1Ti 1:3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer
1Ti 1:4 nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God’s work—which is by faith.
1Ti 1:5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
1Ti 1:6 Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk.
1Ti 1:7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.
1Ti 1:8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.
1Ti 1:9 We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,
1Ti 1:10 for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine
1Ti 1:11 that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

I just googled tattoo images and after being rather disturbed and bothered by what people have done to their bodies, I will go with number iii). To many satan driven and inspired tattoo's would have come out of that parlor. If you aren't separate from the world, you are part of it. Titus 2:12 instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age, 1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. James 4:4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. I won't beat around the bush Farouk, what you are advocating and suggesting is wrong and you are suckering (not all of us) Christians into going the way of the world. I was with my children at the pool a while ago, and from what I saw, not having a tattoo puts one in the minority. I am trying hard every day to be separate from the world, yet you throw an open invitation to walk in the ways of the world. Aside from personal opinions stated here and elsewhere, there has been ample enough scripture testifying to be separate from the world, etc. So why can you not just cease and desist with it? Do you really want to put God to the test? There is no better witness then saying to someone Jesus loves them, and then to act accordingly.

Has the whole thread become ungodly?

1Ti 1:3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer
1Ti 1:4 nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God’s work—which is by faith.
1Ti 1:5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
1Ti 1:6 Some have wandered away from these and turned to meaningless talk.
1Ti 1:7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.
1Ti 1:8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.
1Ti 1:9 We also know that law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,
1Ti 1:10 for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine
1Ti 1:11 that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

Hi there; those are good and healthy verses which are profitable and wholesome to remember.

Personally I wouldn't link, say, a small faith based design such as a Christian fish sign <>< or Bible ref. on a wrist, with the spiritual category of 'perverts' and 'slave traders', etc. But the passage is wholesome and useful to remember.

Blessings.

James 4:4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God?

I know this. My 'friendship' is not what it may appear. May I ask how a farmer can plant seeds or water without stepping in dirt?

How may a fisherman catch fish without getting wet? You get the idea.

To be clear, I am not saying the Christians need to or even should get tats. We need to consider the conscience of our brothers. We need to agape our brother as we agape ourselves. This includes neighbors(!) and we are told to fervently love the brethren.

I have not achieved this. It is a promise that compels us to God for its quick and ready solution. Behold! I stand at the door and knock...

James 4:4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God?

I know this. My 'friendship' is not what it may appear. May I ask how a farmer can plant seeds or water without stepping in dirt?

How may a fisherman catch fish without getting wet? You get the idea.

To be clear, I am not saying the Christians need to or even should get tats. We need to consider the conscience of our brothers. We need to agape our brother as we agape ourselves. This includes neighbors(!) and we are told to fervently love the brethren.

I have not achieved this. It is a promise that compels us to God for its quick and ready solution. Behold! I stand at the door and knock...
[MENTION=13142]Sparrowhawke[/MENTION]:

I know what you mean.

There is a real sense in which the Christian, in his or her testimony and life, is going to deal with the real folk that are out there, rather than someone else's cookie cutter ideal of what they ought to look like. And whether or not Christians get tattoos, these days a whole lot of folk have them (especially the first timers at 18), and some Christians might feel that getting a small Bible ref. can in some sense 'help'.

For example, someone just joined the forum who is one among several sisters and they have all gotten tattoos; really it's not surprising these days; it's what so many young people expect to do (women included; women especially?)

I'm rambling.

Blessings.

I'm rambling.

I like being disarmed and being disarming. It's a peacemaker thing. Rambling is one way to do it.

Shall I condemn thee? Far be it from me! Will the Lord? I say, "Nay, O Most High, for this one is known by me. He is the target of Your love in my heart!"

Where did that come from? Iron sharpens iron. farouk, that came (at least in part) from you.

I'm rambling.

I like being disarmed and being disarming. It's a peacemaker thing. Rambling is one way to do it.

Shall I condemn thee? Far be it from me! Will the Lord? I say, "Nay, O Most High, for this one is known by me. He is the target of Your love in my heart!"

Where did that come from? Iron sharpens iron. farouk, that came (at least in part) from you.
[MENTION=13142]Sparrowhawke[/MENTION]: You're patient with my rambling, anyway...

Fact is, it's almost become like asking: 'Is it 'wrong' to wear blue jeans?' Answer: So many people do; and they are almost a uniform for young men and women, and it's not a question of whether they are right or wrong.

A bit like: 'Is is wrong for 13 year old girls to pierce their ears?' Answer: the fact is that so many 13 year old girls do so, and so did their moms before them, that it's not a question of right or wrong.

So too: 'Was it wrong of my daughter to get a tattoo for her 18th b-day?' Answer: So many young people do it when they turn 18, etc.

Some attempts at moralizing, especially when it concerns other people's personal preferences for which they, and not others are responsible, aren't wise. That being said, undoubtedly some young people will get the idea of having a Christian fish <>< inked, etc.

More of my Canadian cents' (now discontinued by Canada's Royal Mint...)

Blessings.

Don't tempt me, brother. You know how I feel. I can go on and on. Want me to? Probably not. It is a worthy discussion about the larger subject of our Brother's Conscience, the Strong looking out for the Weak and a lesson against legalism. Enuf said.

PS:
I actually like some of the tribal tattoo designs if they are simple & not over done.
@cherovis :

Have you see the portfolio's of some tattoo artists that specialize in tribal designs? they can so often be viewed in parlors without obligation.

Blessings.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS:
I do believe there is a sort of ministy for it. As farouk has already shown us a picture of the born again dude from the band korn or corn or whatever its plain to see that someone like that can be used in a mighty way.
@Northman :

Yes, like you say it can be like a ministry. I agree with what, back a bit, @KayGraham1611 said about the tattoo parlor that she uses:

KayGraham1611 said:
I just hav to say i love my tattoos lol i hav a friend klee who owns a Christian tattoo shoppe here where i live called prophetic ink and it is an awesome ministry especially to ppl who dont know its a Christian place wen they walk in...i think tattoos are art and that as long as we are not putting them in personal places its ok but i think woman or man its ok to get ink...n as far as other tattoo shoppes they can turn down a tattoo if they r not comfortable doing it just like piercings....but alot of places unfortunately are alot ab the $$$ and not wats ok n wats not....

It would be really interesting to visit Prophetic Ink, anyway.

Blessings.

I think I am .I know Im completely free but I had to get over worrying about what other people think and I was so stuck on that .God went out of his way to help me with it and showed me he loved me for the strange girl I was and i didnt have to try to be someone else ....
@hallowbonnie : Well, yes, this is wonderful and so following your own thought I reckon only you yourself can know whether you'll get a bit more ink or whether you're completely done already. Blessings.

[MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]:

Two days now; he'll have a sensitive skin for a while yet, no doubt.

Has your brother talked at all about how he felt?

(Don't be surprised if he's done with inking for a good while yet.)

Blessings.

PS:

Guys, this is quite a big tattoo, as tattoos go, when it's a first tattoo.

Often the first tattoo that people get is small, like on a wrist or ankle, for example.

It's also relatively big as regards tattoos that are mainly calligraphy.

So this has been a major undertaking for [MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]'s brother, anyway.

Blessings.

PS:

Guys, this is quite a big tattoo, as tattoos go, when it's a first tattoo.

Often the first tattoo that people get is small, like on a wrist or ankle, for example.

It's also relatively big as regards tattoos that are mainly calligraphy.

So this has been a major undertaking for [MENTION=8274]Nick[/MENTION]'s brother, anyway.

Blessings.

I'm glad he did not get a 'faith based' tattoo. That's the important thing.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back