Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Blu-ray Worth It?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Mike

Does anyone else think Blu-ray is WAY over-rated? I don't get the hype! We bought into the LCD 1080 pi, surround sound and the PS3 with Blu-ray. If there's a big difference, I'm not seeing it. What's the big deal?

We've had it for about 6 months, and I'm quite sure DVD's were working just fine in retrospect. I'm thinking I got hyped into spending $300+ for something no better than what I had. :wall My son, having logged in 1000 hours of "Call of Duty" on-line, doesn't think it was a waste, but I do - and I paid for it!

Does anyone see a difference, because I really don't. If there are other differences besides the picture (functionality), what does Blu-ray have over DVD that you like.

I'm with you Mike. I do not see the difference. If it is better quality, it is not by much to be noticeable.

All the hype makes it sound like some kinda religious experience. Far from it.

:swords

When my DVD recorder died on me a while back, I was going to buy a blue-ray player to replace it. Then I saw the price. Most movies are still being put on DVD, so I wasn't ready to pay that much more for it. I'm going to wait until the price comes down.

Regarding the quality, I haven't seen anything on blue-ray (I don't know anyone who has one), but I know you need a good TV to see the difference. In that respect it's like stereo. If you only have a mono TV, you won't hear any difference in the things that are broadcast in stereo. If you have the right TV, you'll hear the difference.

Other than the quality, there are a few things where blue-ray is better than DVD. Because blue-ray disks can store a lot more data, it is possible to include more features, including more interactive features. I've heard about the possibility of people interacting with the film itself by changing the viewpoint, for example. I don't know of any movies that have been made like that though.

Other than the quality, there are a few things where blue-ray is better than DVD. Because blue-ray disks can store a lot more data, it is possible to include more features, including more interactive features. I've heard about the possibility of people interacting with the film itself by changing the viewpoint, for example. I don't know of any movies that have been made like that though.

With regard to quality, advancements like High Def (both for visual & audio) and full surround sound are terrific and make a HUGE difference. I don't see it when going from DVD to Blu-ray.

I thought there would be many advances in functionality like you point out, but I haven't see it. I know the capacity allows for more content, but they haven't taken advantage of it that I can find. You can choose "wide screen" or "standard screen" on the same disc, but big deal. Just get the version that you prefer when you rent or buy.

I rarely buy DVD's or Blu-ray discs, so the price doesn't matter to me. I just rent from Netflix, and most relatively recent releases are available in Blu-ray.

Keep telling yourself that, Jeff. Remove all the buyer's remorse you can. :biggrin

Buyers remorse? Mwah? It's the first time I ever got up at 3am to go shopping :lol

Yup, while I was waiting for "the bell" to pick up my Samsung flatscreen, the guy next to me was talking to his buddy across the store in front of the Blue-Rays... so I had him pick me up one since he was there ;). I guess the pile was depleted in under a minute! :shocked!

And of course, we paid cash with the debit card :yes Someday soon I will have a credit score of zero :pray Dave Ramsey Rocks!

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back