Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Is Christ divided?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

JLB

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life
Supporter
Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 1 Corinthians 1:10-13

The enemy desires to divide us.

The Lord desires for us to be united, of the same mind and of the same judgement.

When we follow the teachings of denominations and movements rather than the teachings of Jesus Christ, we are promoting division.

Let’s be a community that promotes a solid understanding of the teachings of Christ, rather than our pet movement or denomination.

Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. 1 Timothy 4:16

JLB

Many can be so quick to receive that which comes from the pulpit through the various doctrines that come out from man's denominations and non-denominations for after all these are our Pastors. But, and this is a big but, not every Pastor has God's anointing on them and will continue to teach within these man made doctrines as they themselves have no Spiritual knowledge, but perceive the word of God with a carnal understanding.

For years I allowed myself to get caught up into believing these doctrines, even if I couldn't see them within the scriptures they gave for support. I thought it was just me not being able to comprehend that of what was being taught. It became very frustrating, but I kept trying as I read those scriptures over and over, but yet not seeing what they were teaching.

I prayed about this earnestly as it really bothered me and the Holy Spirit gave me to read 1 John 2:27. From that point on I emptied my head of everything that I was ever taught and started fresh with first rereading the book of John. It was like I never read it before. From that point on I learned to Spiritually discern that of what others were trying to teach me, 1 John 4:1-6, comparing scripture with scripture understanding the full context of what Christ had already taught as the Holy Spirit reveals all truths.

I'm not perfect by any means as I do miss it at times, but the Holy Spirit always sends correction either by working through others or causing me to dig deeper in the word until all is brought to light.

Unfortunately there will always be divisions in the teachings of man as Christ is not divided, but man unjustly divides the word of God as they are not really led of the Holy Spirit even though they say they are as it all falls back to what they allow themselves to believe that comes from the pulpit.

Many can be so quick to receive that which comes from the pulpit through the various doctrines that come out from man's denominations and non-denominations for after all these are our Pastors. But, and this is a big but, not every Pastor has God's anointing on them and will continue to teach within these man made doctrines as they themselves have no Spiritual knowledge, but perceive the word of God with a carnal understanding.

For years I allowed myself to get caught up into believing these doctrines, even if I couldn't see them within the scriptures they gave for support. I thought it was just me not being able to comprehend that of what was being taught. It became very frustrating, but I kept trying as I read those scriptures over and over, but yet not seeing what they were teaching.

I prayed about this earnestly as it really bothered me and the Holy Spirit gave me to read 1 John 2:27. From that point on I emptied my head of everything that I was ever taught and started fresh with first rereading the book of John. It was like I never read it before. From that point on I learned to Spiritually discern that of what others were trying to teach me, 1 John 4:1-6, comparing scripture with scripture understanding the full context of what Christ had already taught as the Holy Spirit reveals all truths.

I'm not perfect by any means as I do miss it at times, but the Holy Spirit always sends correction either by working through others or causing me to dig deeper in the word until all is brought to light.

Unfortunately there will always be divisions in the teachings of man as Christ is not divided, but man unjustly divides the word of God as they are not really led of the Holy Spirit even though they say they are as it all falls back to what they allow themselves to believe that comes from the pulpit.

:salute

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 1 Corinthians 1:10-13

The Lord desires for us to be united, of the same mind and of the same judgement.

When we follow the teachings of denominations and movements rather than the teachings of Jesus Christ, we are promoting division.

Let’s be a community that promotes a solid understanding of the teachings of Christ, rather than our pet movement or denomination.

Take heed to yourself and to the doctrine. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. 1 Timothy 4:16

JLB
Paul not only tells us what not to do ( be divided), but he also tells us what to do, and how to do it. ( Be United).

1 Corinthians 13
If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Talking about these things are easy, but fulfilling them at times can be difficult.

1 Peter 4:8 puts it this way.
Standard Version
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.

I believe we should all support each other and honour each others faith no matter the denomination.

We support and encourage people.

We seek to unify by adhering to the same doctrine; the doctrine of Christ.

Doctrine that divides is not from Christ.

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

How would any Father feel about someone teaching his son something that would cause him harm or death?

JLB

The teachings of Jesus Christ are about love. He commands us to love and forgive one another.

By studying and learning His teachings and commandments we are developing a mindset of love.

Opposing His doctrine and commandments is opposing love.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. John 15:10

The more I understand this, the more I am motivated to repent.

An ongoing repentance to continue to see His life formed within me. To embrace the renewing of my mind. To be transformed into His image.

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:31-32

The more of His Life and character that is formed within me, the more of His truth I desire and embrace.

Just sayin....

JLB

Last edited:

JLB
Amen! Also If I may add that over the years I have learned Christ has never been divided, and putting your trust in Him will make all the difference in the world of what righteousness can offer.

How important it is to have a true relationship with Him, I find that every since Jesus said: If you love me keep MY commandments John 14:15

I feel that, He will love us more and manifest Himself to us 21-31.

And I will give you Pastors according to mine mine heart, which shall you with knowledge and understanding. Jeremiah 3:15

I also feel that the enemy can not divide us if we continue in His sayings.

Love always, Walter

Last edited:

I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished! Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Is God your enemy?

Would you sit in judgement of the Lord for separating the goats from the sheep?
Would you sit in judgement of the Lord for permitting the tares and the wheat to grow together?

I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished! Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Is God your enemy?

Would you sit in judgement of the Lord for separating the goats from the sheep?
Would you sit in judgement of the Lord for permitting the tares and the wheat to grow together?

Rightly dividing the scriptures is important to understanding the context of scripture.

Most certainly the Lord wants us to be divided from the world, and those who are hostile towards His kingdom, even those in our own household.

Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
James 4:4

Its another matter all together for His Church. He desires for us to be in unity, having the same mindset, and the same judgement, and speaking the same things.

Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 1 Corinthians 1:10

This unity of the faith comes from studying, believing and hearing, and therefore doing the same doctrine; the doctrine of Christ.

Man’s teaching is what divides us.

I believe this may be one thing you and I agree on.

JLB

Last edited:
psalms 133

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments;

3 As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the Lord commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.

the unity the Bible speaks of is different than the unity we claim ours is of the flesh

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back