Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is David Jesus? 0_0

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

researcher

Lol. This is funny. (I think, lol)

Psa 89:20 I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him:
Psa 89:21 With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him.
Psa 89:22 The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
Psa 89:23 And I will beat down his foes before his face, and plague them that hate him.
Psa 89:24 But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
Psa 89:25 I will set his hand also in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers.
Psa 89:26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
Psa 89:27 Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth.
Psa 89:28 My mercy will I keep for him for evermore, and my covenant shall stand fast with him.

Hos 3:5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.

Eze 34:23 And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd.

Eze 37:24 And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them.
Eze 37:25 And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever.

Lol. More where that came from! LOL. ;) :biggrin

Oh well, He did send Elijah back into another guys body. 0_o

researcher,

The spirit spoke the wisdom of God through King David and the Lord Jesus repeated it to the educated men of his day. Their knowledge of worldy wise education was a barrier over the thoughts of their hearts.

Matt 22:42-45
42 Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David.

43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

45 If David then call him Lord, how is he his son? KJV

This is the wisdom of God. It is a stumbling block to the legalistic framed mind and a laughable foolishness to the philosophically trained mind.

Acts 2:29-32
29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. KJV

Acts 13:35-37
35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

37 But he, whom God raised again, saw no corruption. KJV

Joe

Phew. Thanks, Joe.

Now just have to figure out how David can be the firstborn when Christ was. :/

Psa 89:20 I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him:
Psa 89:21 With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him.
Psa 89:22 The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
Psa 89:23 And I will beat down his foes before his face, and plague them that hate him.
Psa 89:24 But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.
Psa 89:25 I will set his hand also in the sea, and his right hand in the rivers.
Psa 89:26 He shall cry unto me, Thou art my father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
Psa 89:27 Also I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth.

Rom 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

:\

Psalm 2 is recognized in modern scholarship as a coronation poem for pronouncing someone as King (David in immediate context, but Christ in its ultimate fulfillment), and uses special "sonship" language in so doing, where it says:

"6But as for Me, I have installed My King
Upon Zion, My holy mountain."
7"I will surely tell of the decree of the LORD:
He said to Me, 'You are My Son,
Today I have begotten You
8'Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance,
And the very ends of the earth as Your possession.

Here God is decreeing and installing His King for the first time, and he also decrees that He has begotten this person as His Son that very day (thus must mean something other than natural birth). Therefore begotten is used in the sense of "making" or proclaiming the King to be His Son. David in messianic prefigurement was seen as God's King and Son, but so was Christ - who truely was God's Son not David's (Matthew 22:43-45) and who is rightful King over all the earth. In this sense both David and Christ can be seen as "first born", being God's son. Yet for Jesus, in the New Testament, the description as "first born" additionally carries an unique and incredible meaning of being raised from the dead to eternal life. This is why Christ is described as being "firstborn from the dead" (Colossians 1:18). Acts 13:33 makes it very clear that being "begotten" in Psalm 2 as applied to Christ referred also to Jesus being raised from the dead, directly quoting Psalm 2:7 saying that it was a fulfillment in that "God has fulfilled this promise to our children in that He raised up Jesus".

The immediate connotation of the verse in Psalm 2 (as applies to David) was that the "first born" was a pronouncement of Kingship and being God's Son (therefore having divine authority on earth) as part of a coronation ceremony, but the additional and marvelous deeper meaning of also pointing to Christ's ressurection was veiled until Christ came and is amazing indeed! So both the Kingship and Sonship apply to David and Jesus but they take slightly different meanings, since Christ was the ultimate fulfillment of course, where Jesus is not only God's Son (literally - where as David was only metaphorically as ruler) and King but also first born from the dead to give to all of us who believe in Him the hope of ressurection and eternal life. Hopefully those verses will make more sense now with that background. Tell me if it doesn't and I will try to elaborate.

God Bless,

~Josh

Thanks, Cyber.

David calls the spirit of Christ "Lord" so I suppose it wasn't the spirit of Christ calling himself Lord
which would rule out David being a previous incarnation of Jesus' spirit. Lol. The wording sure is strange in some of those verses though. :\ I can see how some people would think that David was a previous incarnation, lol. :crazy :gah :tongue

Matt 22:42-45
42 Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The Son of David.
43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,
44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

Typology in the Old Testament was more common in prophecy than flat out foretelling. Many of the Davidic references are typological to the coming King Jesus.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back