Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is hell truly eternal?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

eduardo

I use to strongly beleive it was until I kept reading the characteristics of God throughout the bible, and at no time is it written He prolongs any sufferings but instead brings it to an end. A final end fitting the circumstance. His character radiates love and to be separated from God is to not exist. You are spiritually dead having no conscious of anykind. (referrences coming shortly) What's also interesting is that the Hebrew meaning for 'for ever, 'forever, eternal, etc. is sometimes not used in the same content as some of our most popular re-written english versions. I meantion Hebrew being our several founding fathers/authors of our bible. God is a loving God. He promises peace and joy where no tears will flow, we will not know hunger, pain, thirst, etc, ever again. Could knowing an existance of an eternal hell fit this picture? Or will all the saved be dumbfounded to it's existance? What do you think?

I use to strongly beleive it was until I kept reading the characteristics of God throughout the bible, and at no time is it written He prolongs any sufferings but instead brings it to an end. A final end fitting the circumstance. His character radiates love and to be separated from God is to not exist. You are spiritually dead having no conscious of anykind. (referrences coming shortly) What's also interesting is that the Hebrew meaning for 'for ever, 'forever, eternal, etc. is sometimes not used in the same content as some of our most popular re-written english versions. I meantion Hebrew being our several founding fathers/authors of our bible. God is a loving God. He promises peace and joy where no tears will flow, we will not know hunger, pain, thirst, etc, ever again. Could knowing an existance of an eternal hell fit this picture? Or will all the saved be dumbfounded to it's existance? What do you think?

Traditional answers to some of life's most basic questions are often confusing. For example, if you already believe in the concept of hell you have probably gone along with the teaching that those who go there will be there forever.
Think of it though. Does the traditional teaching of "eternal hell" make any sense ? Would or could an all-loving, all-powerful God stand back and watch any of His children spend eternity suffering indescribable agony and torment? Does that really make sense?
Most Bible "scholars" of our day say this is what the Bible teaches. To the "scholars" of His day Jesus said, "They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men. " Matt. 15:9. Fortunately our lives depend on God's interpretation, not man's. "It is written: "`As surely as I live,' says the Lord, `every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'" Rom. 14:11. Eventually all of God's children will confess the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

"Bible scholars" of our day argue that Jesus taught one's stay in hell was an eternal experience. Often quoted is Rev. 14:11, "And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name." Is this a true representation of the original? NO!!!!! Our loving Father would never require a punishment of "eternal torment" no matter how wicked the sin.
The "for ever and ever" of Rev. 14:11 is actually a liberal embellishment if not an intentional mistranslation of the Greek aions kai aions. Aion (pronounced ay-on), literally meaning an age, a finite time segment, is often mistranslated eternal or for ever. If the singular form aion is translated eternal (unending), then how are we to understand its plural form, aions? Would aions be successive eternities? That would be ridiculous. In Rev. 14:11 the Greek aions of the aions is translated for ever and ever. Can one eternal period of time follow after another? Of course not! It doesn't take genius to recognize that man once again has interjected his own bias into God's perfect Word.
Revelation 11:15 says of Jesus, "...He shall reign for ever and ever".
Yet I Cor. 15:24,25 says, "Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet." Fortunately God's Word is self correcting. Paul understood that Christ would reign until He had put all enemies under His feet. Literally the Word declares, "He shall reign unto the ages of ages." An age is a limited period of time. Many ages are still just several limited periods. These ages may or may not "just keep rolling along".

manfire.gif

To understand these Greek words so often mistranslated "eternal" and "for ever and ever", picture the horizon. What is beyond the horizon is also beyond your vision. So it is with many applications of time in scripture. When the Greek speaks of a singular age or plural ages the duration is often undefined, as well as unseen (beyond the horizon and therefore beyond one's vision).
The context of most scripture dealing with "salvation" shows us our heavenly inheritance is in fact unending. However, in the context of God's all encompassing love we should understand that no one is destined for Hell eternally. God's plan is too great for that.
"so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." Isa. 55:11. He will finish the work that He has begun. Phil. 1:6.

What better reason to rejoice!

hell.gif

Are we then relieved of our responsibility to reestablish the relationship with the Father we left so long ago? Who, in his right mind, would want to spend even a short time in hell? (Yes, hell is real, even though one's stay is not eternal). We have opportunities unequaled in the history of mankind to accept the Love of Jesus Christ and progress into a meaningful relationship with Him! Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24.
Respond to His call right now! Not because of fear for your future but because of the desire to return to a relationship with Jesus left so long ago. Only He can fill the void. Only by learning about and living His plan for our lives can we understand the purpose and benefits of this our earthly experience. Receive His Word into your heart today. Agree with Him that His way is the only way!

thrown.gif

Does God's perfect plan include just some or all of His children? Many teach that God calls only a few, while the great majority are pre-destined to eternal judgment. This man-invented teaching has hindered many from accepting and experiencing the great love our heavenly Father has for each of His children.
Jesus warned that an "enemy man" would sow tares (untruths) amongst the good wheat (the pure Word of God). The Church as we know it today has done more good, helping more people than any other organization on earth. But it has also allowed the enemy to infiltrate, planting his tares throughout the last 1900 years. The main emphasis of this website to harvest the wheat while separating perversions and untruth from His Truth, proclaiming the Good News of Jesus Christ. "To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31,32.
Eternal Hell NO!

The Lord Jesus Himself said in the Gospels - a number of times - that hell is not quenched.

What sort of moral responsibility (central to the need of redemption through the blood of Christ) does it teach to have a judgment which merges into an unconscious annihilation?

The Lord Jesus Himself said in the Gospels - a number of times - that hell is not quenched.

What sort of moral responsibility (central to the need of redemption through the blood of Christ) does it teach to have a judgment which merges into an unconscious annihilation?
I think they call it death?

Could "hell is not quenched" also mean there is no refuge or relief?

Could "hell is not quenched" also mean there is no refuge or relief?

See Mark 9.48.

(By the same token, then, if judgment is mere metaphor, someone will also logically suggest that salvation through faith in Christ is mere metaphor also.)

See Mark 9.48.

(By the same token, then, if judgment is mere metaphor, someone will also logically suggest that salvation through faith in Christ is mere metaphor also.)
One could say if he choses. But I myself do not believe that judgement is a metaphore. This question is only focused on certian interpretation of words. I will not dispute that hell is not or is eternal at this piont. Some very interesting perspectives can be considered when we look a little deeper as it is natural for our understandings to find more meanings to Gods words then we thought we knew the first 80 times. Each time I go back and refresh my reading I come to see things I did'nt get. Of course some scripture is literal but some is mysterious. Not too seeable with the human mind or understanding. And this subject of God making a place so horrific existing along with the saved is very questionable to me. I only speak for myself and I've found tons of info to support the possibility. Do you think, just you, its fair to torture a man repeatidly, revive him, then repeat the process infinitely because he didn't believe you existed? And if you have a loving heart could you stand it, see him day in and day out wimpering and crying in pain like some bad horror movie? I could see that happening to the devil as wishful thinking though. I mainly urge us to look closely at Gods character and how He usually deals with evil, unchanging in all His ways. (referrences coming shortly)

Does the traditional teaching of "eternal hell" make any sense ? Would or could an all-loving, all-powerful God stand back and watch any ofHis children spend eternity suffering indescribable agony and torment? Does that really make sense?
That's why I hate the words: eternal, forever, infinity etc I think eternity does exist. Is being with God forever??? If so, being forever condemned is possible. What do you think? The world is all about Good and bad, happy and sad, big and small - opposite things exist.

That's why I hate the words: eternal, forever, infinity etc I think eternity does exist. Is being with God forever??? If so, being forever condemned is possible. What do you think? The world is all about Good and bad, happy and sad, big and small - opposite things exist.
Being with God in peace forever fir eternity? Yes! It is what he promised but an existing hell does'nt fit the perfect picture which He also stated evil will be no more. If God says evil will be no more then the existance of an eternal hell contradicts that, huh? What do you think?
5And the One seated on the throne said: “Look! I am making all things new.” Also, he says: “Write, because these words are faithful and true.” 6And he said to me: “They have come to pass! I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga, the beginning and the end. To anyone thirsting I will give from the fountain of the water of life free. 7Anyone conquering will inherit these things, and I shall be his God and he will be my son. 8But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and fornicators and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur. This means the second death.” Death in its literal meaning is to be no more. Again, unconscious of anything. The fire and sulfur, the element used to permanetly elimnate them. Afterwards, all things will be new. Would'nt this be more relative to the character of God? I don't question God, just us. My only question to Him is why eternal suffering if it is what it is? Thanks for listening and I welcome all comments and literature.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only question to Him is why eternal suffering if it is what it is?
Which is exactly the same question I have asked myself a million times. If that is what it is...the punishment seems greater than the sin. At the same time I ask myself: why eternal bliss??? :lol You can see that.

Which is exactly the same question I have asked myself a million times. If that is what it is...the punishment seems greater than the sin. At the same time I ask myself: why eternal bliss??? :lol You can see that.
Eternal bliss is a given considering Christ sacrifice for us. I'm not sure if we'll even be aware of our past sins or others once we've been renewed. Kinda like replacing an old tire with a new one, brand new treads, man, can you dig it? My thoughts would be we become completely free of all old memories and records of our past. Certainly God can keep separate the good and bad but would He keep the dust after cleaning the shelves? Hmmm. We commonly destroy our trash or recycle it. To store it just takes up space and the stench would be putrid. So, an infinite burning of flesh and bone?, not likely. The suffering described as hell on earth is like the devils (and posse) last stand. The final move where he is put to permanent shame existing no more with God in anyway. I don't know about you but when I wasn't listening to God life was hell x 100.

Jer 7:20 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, mine anger and my fury shall be poured out upon this place, upon man, and upon beast, and upon the trees of the field, and upon the fruit of the ground; and it shall burn, and shall not be quenched.

Well, Nebuchadnezzer did this, but is it still burning?

Jer 17:27 But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

Are the gates still burning?

Eze 20:47 And say to the forest of the south, Hear the word of the LORD; Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will kindle a fire in thee, and it shall devour every green tree in thee, and every dry tree: the flaming flame shall not be quenched, and all faces from the south to the north shall be burned therein.

Are the green trees still burning?

From Merriam-Websters dictionary...

Definition of UNQUENCHED

: not quenched : unextinguished, unquelled, unsatiated <unquenched appetites> <unquenched curiosity>

Means a fire that is not put out. Doesn't mean it cannot burn out, or burns forever, means it is not extinguished by external forces.

Definition of UNQUENCHED

: not quenched : unextinguished, unquelled, unsatiated <unquenched appetites> <unquenched curiosity>

Means a fire that is not put out. Doesn't mean it cannot burn out, or burns forever, means it is not extinguished by external forces.

I think the definition being used here is closer to "unsatiated". Hell will never be full. It will always demand more souls.

Jer 7:20 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, mine anger and my fury shall be poured out upon this place, upon man, and upon beast, and upon the trees of the field, and upon the fruit of the ground; and it shall burn, and shall not be quenched.

Well, Nebuchadnezzer did this, but is it still burning?

Jer 17:27 But if ye will not hearken unto me to hallow the sabbath day, and not to bear a burden, even entering in at the gates of Jerusalem on the sabbath day; then will I kindle a fire in the gates thereof, and it shall devour the palaces of Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

Are the gates still burning?

Eze 20:47 And say to the forest of the south, Hear the word of the LORD; Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will kindle a fire in thee, and it shall devour every green tree in thee, and every dry tree: the flaming flame shall not be quenched, and all faces from the south to the north shall be burned therein.

Are the green trees still burning?

Definition of UNQUENCHED

Outstanding. A fire that only God can put out after all has been consumed. Very good. This quote says a lot to be considered.

I think the definition being used here is closer to "unsatiated". Hell will never be full. It will always demand more souls.
If that were true in a sense then peace will not be eternal and God is wrong? I truly dought that one. Keep'em coming but I ask to referr to some Hebrew definitions and more things will come to light.

This topic has come up many times on various websites and even in Christian churches. The church I belong to does not believe in eternal punishment.

http://www.sounddoctrine.com/fifty.htm

I believe that there is a real hell. If there is a reward for those who serve God by the same token there will be a place for those who refuse to do his will.
As humans we cannot understand the term eternal life, so it is now wonder we cannot understand eternal punishment.

If the sinners will just receive death as a result of being human just like the Christians what purpose would it serve to obey God. The punishment for living godly and living wickedly CANNOT BE THE SAME. God says that all men will see death. So if there is a reward of eternal life for the godly, why would there not be eternal life for the ungodly. If there is no hell, I would not want to be a Christian. I would enjoy my life and live as I please..nothing would restrict me from doing as I please. I am not saying that fear is what would cause me to serve God...although I believe the word fear when used in the bible means more than just deep respect. A convicted killer fears hanging...

I am amazed at the arguments that people including some Christians use..

(1) God is a God of love so he could not do it.

God destroyed the world by a flood, and saved only eight people. Would we say that he should not have done it.

(2) The fire will go out once there is no oxygen.

God is God, if he can make the world out of nothing he can keep a fire burning for ever.

And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. - Revelation 19:20

We see Lake of Fire holding the False Prophet and Anti-Christ forever to burn for there hateful/sinful acts.

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. - Revelation 20:10

We see Satan being thrown into the Lake of Fire where the False Prophet and Anti-Christ have been for 1,000 years and will be with them forever to burn.

And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. - Revelation 20:15

I don't see there being two Lake of Fire's only one, and we find out several people have been mentioned to be in there forever. I think it's a goodwill idea to assume only the Unholy Trinity is in the Lake of Fire forever, but it makes a case anyone who is not found in the Book of Life will be in there forever.

You won't get a debate from me, eduardo, because I had exactly the same learning experience you did, except instead of looking at this from God's characteristic perspective, I looked at verses describing the nature of hell and the second death. Also, in order to be eternally tormented would presuppose an immortal soul which the bible does not teach. One is given immortality by condition, or else they die. Eternal torment is still life (i.e. existence) albeit tormented life--- that is contradictory to the inherent definition of death.

Also, the price to pay for sins is not for an eternal duration of torture. Can't be. These are examples of the many issues I crossed that when studied carefully, we see that pagan doctrine of eternal hell falls apart faster than a Hollywood marriage.

This topic has come up many times on various websites and even in Christian churches. The church I belong to does not believe in eternal punishment.

http://www.sounddoctrine.com/fifty.htm

I believe that there is a real hell. If there is a reward for those who serve God by the same token there will be a place for those who refuse to do his will.
As humans we cannot understand the term eternal life, so it is now wonder we cannot understand eternal punishment.

If the sinners will just receive death as a result of being human just like the Christians what purpose would it serve to obey God. The punishment for living godly and living wickedly CANNOT BE THE SAME. God says that all men will see death. So if there is a reward of eternal life for the godly, why would there not be eternal life for the ungodly. If there is no hell, I would not want to be a Christian. I would enjoy my life and live as I please..nothing would restrict me from doing as I please. I am not saying that fear is what would cause me to serve God...although I believe the word fear when used in the bible means more than just deep respect. A convicted killer fears hanging...

I am amazed at the arguments that people including some Christians use..

(1) God is a God of love so he could not do it.

God destroyed the world by a flood, and saved only eight people. Would we say that he should not have done it.

God is just.

The reward for the wicked is determined upon how wicked they are, and an eternity of unending pain is unjust.

(2) The fire will go out once there is no oxygen.

God is God, if he can make the world out of nothing he can keep a fire burning for ever.
God is a consuming fire.

Hell is the fire of God Himself in which only the righteous can live.

Think about it.

The Bible throughout speaks of punishment before anniahliation.

So...

Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Hell still burning? Or has it burned itself out? (Unquenched)

Mal 4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
Mal 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
Mal 4:3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.

Eternal punishment, not eternal punishing.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back