Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is it true?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I'm not one to automatically think that all gambling is sin. I think gambling is like eating or sex, it can be sinful if we don't exercise some self-control with it. We all have what's known as "disposable" income. If one drops $300.00 playing poker, I don't think there is any moral difference between that and dropping $300.00 a year on cable TV or eating out at fancy restaurants.

The thing is, before we go disposing income in wasteful ways, are we meeting our financial obligations, both to ourselves, our families and our communities.

I wasn't joking about there being many families that cannot even put food on their tables right now. If we have enough money to blue on gambling, renting a bunch of movies, or eating out, we could most likely use that money much better by donating to the local food banks.

This isn't to say that everyone who is disposing income in wasteful ways aren't first taking care of all financial obligations, and giving to the needy and their churches. What one does with their finances is between them and the Lord. Nor are we commanded to give.

Just keep honest about it. Don't be like Annias and Sappharia, who acted like they were disposing a lot of income for the Lord and yet keeping it back. Give, or don't, waste money or don't. But, whatever one does, do it as unto the Lord.

TrueChristian said:
Will I burn in hell? Because i'm not planning to quit poker.

Me and you both?

I liken playing poker to the people who work the sharemarkets. Both are a form of gambling. You make educated gambles based on trends - the ones who are good at what they do can predict a general upward trend of profit. The thing is, one is respected and the other not. Shame.

I believe the discussion between TrueChristian and Paul was about an online Texas Hold'Em poker version, with fake money. I don't think that is a sin.

I haven't really played poker much myself, but I don't think it's something we want to encourage. I don't necessarily think the concept is sinful in itself, though.

Thank goodness God does not rely upon us to decide what we think is sinful and what is not. ;)

I see nothing wrong with it if it is just a game and no real money is exchanging hands. :confused

GojuBrian said:
I see nothing wrong with it if it is just a game and no real money is exchanging hands. :confused
and if it's not taking us away from God. Say I'm on Facebook and decide to play half an hour of Texas Hold 'Em poker. I don't see the big issue in this case. When it becomes a problem / sin is when it starts to take time away from my time with God, and when it becomes an addiction.

Actually Paul was talking about 3 000 USD.
I am playing only at real money.

I think that statement is true concerning Fundamentalist Christians. They seem to have big lists of things you cannot do. I was raised Catholic, so the bingo and roulette wheels were spinning. Big deal. I used to play Bingo and I didn't become a Bingoaholic. I don't gamble. But no-one can tell me not to, if that's what I feel I want to do. To me, it's no sin.

Back