Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is MLB on it's way out?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Dave...

Is MLB on it's way out? It's gasping for air, that's for sure. It's difficult for me to get interested in a sport when the odds are so heavily in favor of the teams that spend the most money, sometimes four to five times what the other teams spend. I watched MLB all my life but lost interest in the 90s. I doubt that I will ever regain that interest until there is a salary cap that works. I know baseball is very popular in NY and Boston, and a few other cities, but for the rest of us, well...

What do you think about the state of baseball today? Should it go the way of Hockey to try to balance things out?

If it stays it's current course, I give it about another twenty years at best.

I said something along these lines, jokingly, to a guy I work with who told me he's lost a lot of interest in MLB. Though I think MLB will survive this period, they need to start making some changes now.

First problem is as you stated, many teams don't even have a shot going into the season openers. No matter how diehard the fans may be, eventually anybody is going to find another source of entertainment.

The second problem is the sport has done nothing to continue the tradition to the younger audience. Where's the draw, MLB thought they had it in the HR derbies but as we've found out what they are a result of, interest has declined somewhat. Not to mention the fact that the season runs through the best seasonal (weather) time of the year. Many of us like to enjoy the nice weather while we have it.

The third problem is times have changed, its a busier world we live in. Very few people have the time to keep up with a team throughout the length of a season. Every game doesn't matter, atleast not until nearing the end of the season. So many fans don't have the same passion as what you will find in FB. 16 games in the NFL or 11 & 12 games in the NCAA, every game means something.

The fourth problem is the game is too slow. There is too much wasted time by the hitters walking in and out of the box to check their gloves & kick dirt and what not.

All I know is that barring multiple years of poor decision making, the NFL will not relinquish its lock on being the 'National Pastime'.

While I agree that there are some problems with MLB, I don't think the appeal has declined that much with my generation.

I didn't grow up in a sports oriented family, but the first sport that caught my attention was baseball. The History that baseball has is far more incredible than those of Basketball or Football.

I agree that there needs to be a salary cap. One reason your losing fans is because we don't want to pay 10$ a ticket to see a team like the Braves, Cardinals, or Yankees. I'm honestly gaining quite a taste for the Nationals because it's a new look, and they are showing that you don't need to have a huge wallet to play a decent game of Baseball.

Another Problem with baseball is that it still isn't really a national sport. Baseball isn't the only sport with this problem, but you have too many teams in the larger states. With 5 teams in California, 2 in NewYork, 2 in Texas, 2 in Ohio, 2 in Florida, and 4 from the Pennsylvania/Maryland/DC region, You have a league that has more than half it's teams in maybe a fifth of the nation.

Another thing that Baseball should work on doing is creating a international baseball league. We get players from Venezuela, Japan, Panama, and several other countries. Why should they have to come to the U.S. to play with recognition.

There may be some problems, but I don't think the situation is that drastic yet.

A salary cap would be great, but I say that because I live close to KC with the Royals :-?

The game is speeding up. The umps have orders to start calling people out if they consistently take longer than 25 sec. in between pitches while up to bat. The games are getting shorter. The average game went from almost 3 hours 2 years ago to an average of just over 2 hours this year. Much better.

Baseball is a great game because you don't have to follow every single game. You can take a break and not miss a whole lot until the playoffs. Or you can watch Baseball tonight and get the highlights and scores. Plus, I would like to know who on earth was not excited about last years ALCS and NLCS games. They were incredible.

I'm a Yankee's Fan, but I'm sick of selling our prospects. The Yankees have one of the greatest farm systems, accept Steinbrenner keeps dealing them all away. The Cap would force teams to develope some talent.

Plus, I would like to know who on earth was not excited about last years ALCS and NLCS games. They were incredible.

Myself, like 90% of America, called that show down before the season ever started. Go figure. I wasn't interested at all.

One thing that is killing the game is that "the game within the game" is all but dead. Managers are by the book to the extreme degree these days. Let's face it, anyone could manage the Yankees and win.

MLB got a boost from Mcguire and Sosa chasing the home run record, all the while knowing full well that steroids were part of it, and now they are paying a price for it.

It's hard to get excited about players on your team when you know they are being developed for NY or Boston.

Salary cap in numero uno, until they fix it, baseball will continue it's downslide.

The only thing that is saving baseball is all the diehard fans that have had it ingrained in them since childhood to love the sport. But, the next generation is more interested in soccer and championship wrestling than they are in MLB. When these children grow up, look out MLB.

I'm a Yankee's Fan, but I'm sick of selling our prospects. The Yankees have one of the greatest farm systems, accept Steinbrenner keeps dealing them all away. The Cap would force teams to develope some talent.

He's no idiot, let the "league farm system" develope and take care of them until they are in their prime. When you think about it, the Yankees really don't need a farm system. If I were him, that's how I'd do it.

I love baseball and always will.

I don't really see any major problems with the game other than a few teams with too much money.

But look at the standings, there are teams that are in contention early on who don't have a huge payroll.

And some who do have a huge payroll who aren't doing well.

Let's face it, anyone could manage the Yankees and win.
Actually have you seen how bad they are doing. :biggrin (I'm just pointing and laughing myself)

The Yankees have one of the greatest farm systems
Yeah it is called every other team who can't afford their superstars.
But just like the owner for the redskins (NFL) found out, you can't buy a championship.

Like most pro sports now it is hard to get interested with a team because half of the players leave each year to free agency or sent to the minors. It is extremely rare for a player to be with the same team for more than a few years now. There are only a few that stay with their clubs their entire career. Thats why I think guys like Biggio and a few others are fan favorites at their respective clubs, if nothing more than they might actually know their name.

I think they are compared to the days of old where a person grew up loving a team and stuck with them for their entire lives. People follow the entire NFL more and have less of a loyalty to a specific team than before. Now you have a choice of at least 4 games each sunday to watch. There are die hard fans for their teams, but the majority have a favorite, but follow the entire league more. And the second part of my statement had to do with free agency. Few player stay for very long, a hand full of quarterbacks are the only ones who I can think of who have stayed with a team for at least the majority of their careers. Too much shuffling of players and salaries that are exorbinately too high are two things killing pro sports. I'm a Chief's fan, but I haven't really enjoyed watching NFL since the late 90's because the teams change so much each year.

Too large of egos is another issue with the NFL in particular. Why does every wide receiver have to spike the ball every time they make a first down, it is a routine play 99% of the time, but they act like the shocked the world. Where did all the Montanas, Rices, Marinos who were quiet and did their talking with their play? You see this in baseball to a lesser degree, but it is still present in players like Bonds.

People follow the entire NFL more and have less of a loyalty to a specific team than before.

I don't know as I agree there. In the years past, it was hard to find fans of the perennial losing teams like the Cardinals. Nowadays, you'll see devout fans of every team. Why, because every team or atleast almost every team comes into the season with a shot at doing well. Take the Chargers from last year, most people thought they'd be terrible again and they end up AFC West Champs and in the playoffs.

Teams that have been successful like the Cowboys, 49ers and Steelers have many bandwagon fans that are the ones that when the team isn't doing so well, they disappear. I wouldn't call that loyal, but those type of fans have been around ever since there has been dynasties.

I think one major difference between the NFL fan and an MLB fan is that football fans love football regardless of how their team is doing. If their team isn't playing they'll watch however is. Many baseball fans aren't like that. They are going to be less likely to stay interested if their team either isn't doing well or has been eliminated.

The point is, when all teams have a shot at doing well its better for the sport. Any sport that depends on the same team dynasties from year to year will not help the whole sport grow.

The point is, when all teams have a shot at doing well its better for the sport. Any sport that depends on the same team dynasties from year to year will not help the whole sport grow.

I agree, except it depends on how long the dynasties last. Teams that are very good for a few years are good for the sport, especially when built from in their own system and with the same core of players. But teams like the Yanks who buy their way in every year are a problem. The same is coming true with boston too. I'm just happy when teams like the marlins 2 years ago win it all with no name players and a low priced payroll.

I'm just happy when teams like the marlins 2 years ago win it all with no name players and a low priced payroll.

I agree with that. I like their manager, Jack McKeon. He's one of the few managers who are worth anything.

One telling sign was the All NY series. I think that they had the lowest world series ratings of all time. I think that should tell us something.

Clean house, start the whole thing over again. Baseballs union is too powerful, it's time to cut out it's legs from under it (and i'm pro union).

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back