Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is not that enough to know?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Davies

I find it encouraging to think about what it would be like listening at the feet of Jesus. Wouldn't we be quiet? Wouldn't we be focused. It is interesting that the Bible doesn't describe heaven physically, though we are given glimpses of the new Jerusalem, but it's not the place that makes heaven special. It's being with Jesus, and as Miller puts it, "Is not that enough to know?"

- Davies

(J.R. Miller, "Daily Bible Readings in the Life of Christ" 1890)

"Today shall you be with Me in paradise!" Luke 23:43

This was the second saying of the Savior on the cross. Something touched the heart of one of the robbers--may it not have been the Savior's prayer for His murderers? He became penitent in his dying hour, and cried to Jesus for mercy: "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." Quickly from the lips of the dying Redeemer came the gracious response, "Today shall you be with Me in paradise!" The words are full of meaning, of which only broken hints can here be given.

Though in the agony of death--Jesus could yet give life to a dead soul. Though draining the dregs of the cup of woe--He could give a cup of blessedness to a penitent sinner. Though His hand was nailed to the cross--it yet carried the key of paradise, and opened the gate to allow a repentant soul to enter. Surely there was no more royal moment in all of Christ's life, than this!

The promise itself tells us what death is for the believer. "Today shall you be with Me!" There is no long, dark passage, therefore, through which the freed soul must go to reach blessedness. There is no "purgatory" in which it must punished for its sins for long years--before it can enter Heaven. At once, the redeemed spirit goes into the presence of Christ!

Paul teaches us the same truth when he describes death as departing to be with Christ; and says that to be absent from the body--is to be at home with the Lord. That same day, said Jesus--this penitent would be in paradise! We ought not then, to be afraid to die--if we are Christ's redeemed and holy ones.

The words tell us also, what Heaven's blessedness really consists of. "You shall be with Me." Being with Christ--is glory! No sweeter, more blessed Heaven can be conceived of!

We know but little about Heaven as a place--where it is, what it is like; but this much we know--that there we shall be with Christ! Is not that enough to know?

Consider the fact you are not currently in Hell. This should bring comfort to those who know they deserve it, and hope to those who desire to be saved. Unless you don't believe in Hell, we can all thank God we are not there right now. There is enough mercy in that alone to draw us closer to God.

- Davies

You are sometimes tempted to think that your lot is hard, and that your trials are greater than others--but do not think thus. Rather think, "But for the mercy of God--I would have been in Hell this moment, lifting up my eyes in torments; and in the agony of despair, cursing my God and King! It is all of mercy, that I am not now in the flames of Hell, surrounded by infuriated devils, and assailed on every hand by the groans of the damned, and the dreadful cursings of the lost!" - James Smith

Let us always remember that a true Christian may have many a blemish, many a defect, many an infirmity--and yet be a true Christian nevertheless. We do not despise gold--because it is mixed with much dross. We must not undervalue grace--because it is accompanied by much corruption. - J. C. Ryle

I've often stumbled over the question, 'Am I really saved?' But I recognize it's my pride that raises the question because I certainly don't do enough for the Lord, repent enough, as if somehow if I did the right things consistently, the bases of my assurance of salvation would be satisfied. What a lie from Satan! Every Christian should know the basis for his salvation is found in the finished work of Jesus!!

- Davies

Heaven is never describe in the literal as it is Spiritual in the third heaven where God who is Spirit sits on a Spiritual throne. The third heaven is not our final destination and no one, but that of being Spiritual will ever enter in. Our final destination will be that of the new earth that God will usher down when Jesus comes back to call us who are in Christ whether asleep in the grave or alive upon His return.

John 14:2; , 1Thessalonians 4:14-18; Zechariah 14:4; Revelation 21:1,2; Matthew 24:31; Isaiah 65:17-25; 1Corinthians Chapter 15.

THREE HEAVENS
First heaven - The firmament, Earths atmosphere which is the immediate sky, where the fowls of the heaven, Genesis 2:19; 7:3, 23; Psalms 8:8, and the eagles of heaven, Lamentations 4:19, fly. It is our atmosphere that surrounds the earth.

Second Heaven - Outer Space, the starry heavens, Deuteronomy 17:3; Jeremiah 8:2; Matthew 24:29. The second heaven is the starry heavens, where our atmosphere ends. It is the heavens in which the sun, moon, and stars are fixed in orbit.

Third Heaven - This is where God dwells. It is called the heaven of heavens, Deuteronomy 10:14; 1 Kings 8:27; Psalms 115:16; 148:4. 1Kings 8:27 the heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you. (Psalm 2:4) The One enthroned in heaven laughs; The LORD scoffs at them. The third heaven is beyond the space and stars where no man has seen by telescope. This heaven is the dwelling-place of God.

Back