Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Rock music sinful ?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
QFT.
The "sinful" qualities of a specific group of songs doesn't make the entire genre "satan music", as it has been stereotyped. Certain songs, yes, are about sinful things. However, many of them (and not just the low quality ones), are not.
I in no way consider myself sinning while I enjoy their music.

It all depends on the individual. If you can't listen to AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long", and not think lustful thoughts, don't listen to it. I can make it through that song without thinking about anything but the music itself, so I do.

Exactly. The way I look at music or books or anything is this: I don't listen/read/look at/to it if I become obsessed with it (ie, it becomes more important than God) or if it causes me to think impure thoughts.

An interesting side note, I used to read Christian Romance. I stopped a year or so ago because I was becoming obsessed with it and it was causing me to think impure thoughts. I currently read John Grisham novels and though they have a little language and some sex, I am not obsessed with them and they don't cause me to think impure thoughts.

So for me, a Christian genre is "bad" and a non-Christian genre is "good". Just thought that might apply to music too.

I currently read John Grisham novels and though they have a little language and some sex, I am not obsessed with them and they don't cause me to think impure thoughts.
Ugh. Grisham quit writing years ago and has been mailing it in since. He started out so strong, but now he uses the same formula in every book. Innocent, down to earth lawyer gets caught in a real mess. (sorry, just my opinion)

Liked "The Testament", "The Firm" and "playing for Pizza" though! :thumbsup

Back