Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is sex before marriage condoned in the OT?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
K

Kendrix:Evolution

Was sex before marriage condoned in the OT?

Based on the ideology that in the OT in is atoned for by the shedding of blood (Lev. 17:11), either by an animal , or a actual person (Numbers 35:33, Hebrews 9:22). ALL sins require a sacrifice, and there is NO remission of sin unless SOMETHING DIES.

Thus:

Question: What (or who) according to the OT died when a man had sex with an unmarried woman? (not a close relitive or a wife)

If something has to die for sin to be atoned for, please tell me WHAT or WHO died to atone for the "sin" of a man sleeping with a woman who is not a close relative and who is not married.

What died to atone for this "sin"?

What was the penalty for a man and a woman who were caught having sex before marriage? What happened to them?

Nothing? Please offer your insight.

in reply to your question:

Firstly, the Jewish community was a relatively SMALL one for MOST of history. I would 'imagine' that there was NOT as much OPPORTUNITY for sex OUTSIDE of marriage back then, for children were 'promised' from an EARLY age and married at an EARLY age. Other than these opportunities, I doubt that such a 'close-knit' community had to deal with TOO much fornication. I mean the 'young women' and 'young men' of the age that may have desired to participate MOST LIKELY weren't given the OPPORTUNITY. For EVERYONE back then had a JOB. And you can believe that people that STAY busy have little time to think of and plan for such FROWNED UPON activities. Families were MUCH closer then and I'll betcha that fathers and mothers kept VERY close tabs on their female offspring.

Now, there was CERTAINLY a punishment for fornication. But until LATER times I doubt that it was needed MUCH. For there is indication in The Word, (OT)that the act of sex itself was as GOOD AS WEDDING VOWS and that simply TAKING a woman sexually was considered the SAME as wedding her; she became your wife.

Sex outside of marriage has NEVER been condoned according to The Word. For the ACT of sex is a man and woman BECOMING 'as ONE', and this was RESERVED for MARRIAGE.

Of course we refer here to the OT Hebrews and later Jews. For other nationalities had their own laws and customs.

MEC

I can't remember the exact quote, but it says that if a man and woman were having relations before marriage, they were obligated to get married.

Back