Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is the tribulation really seven-years long?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

David505

It seems like a majority of prophecy students equate a seven-year time of tribulation with Daniel’s 70th week. Some students combine times of tribulation and great tribulation to make tribulation fit the seven-year period. Rapture discussions tend to revolve around this assumed equality. For example: pre-trib, mid-trib, and post-trib.

I tend to agree with the general ideas of Marvin Rosenthal and Robert Van Kampen (but not all of their specifics) regarding the pre-wrath rapture position. This position defines tribulation as a lesser interval, commencing with Antichrist’s abomination of desolation, and concluding with the rapture, in advance of the 70th week’s conclusion.

I can’t find any scriptures that equate a seven-year time of tribulation with the 70th week. Can anyone find scriptures that show tribulation (by definition) is synonymous with the 70th week?

Please note: This topic is not about whether the 70th week is a past or future event, and it’s not about rapture timing. The topic is limited to proving, disproving, or admitting as inconclusive the assertion that a seven-year time of tribulation corresponds to the 70th week. Thank you.

Thanks Michae1,

I have differences with some of the opinions on the site.

Otherwise, I agree with the author’s statement: “there is no specific reference in the Bible describing the final seven years before the Lord’s return as the Tribulation. The proper name for the final seven years is Daniel’s 70th Week.â€

I think if we all kept this focus, our related debates would be much more systematic.

The last seven is a total of seven years and is the same seven years as the Great Tribulation. These seven years, the seventieth seven, are subdivided in verse 27 of Daniel 9, into two equal halves of 3 1/2 years each. Elsewhere in Daniel and in Revelation, they are given different descrpitive terms. Each half is referred to in three different ways: sometimes as 1,260 days (Rev. 12:6); sometimes as forty-two months (Rev. 11:2-3; 13:5); and sometimes as a time, times and half a time (Dan. 7:25). In all three cases, they are equal to two 3 1/2 year periods comprising this seven year period.

This is what I studied in my Eschatology and Revelation class in Bible College.

I believe my Bible teacher has answered your question. Here is the link:

There Is No Seven Year Tribulation! | GraceThruFaith

Here is a small quote from the above article:

If you read it, write back and let me know if this answered your question.

You will also not fine trinity in the bible, Mars Jupiter, milky-way and so forth, But the 7 year tribulation is a period of time allotted to the jew's for the salvation of their nation... the first 3 1/2 not so bad?.. the second 3 1/2 is the time of Jacobs trouble..ie Israel.. the great tribulation.. I think what the site is saying is 3 1/2 yrs is the Great Tribulation... althought that period of time is inside the last 7 yrs of mans history, after the fall..

Please note: This topic is not about whether the 70th week is a past or future event, and it’s not about rapture timing. The topic is limited to proving, disproving, or admitting as inconclusive the assertion that a seven-year time of tribulation corresponds to the 70th week. Thank you.
No problem David. I will say one thing though;

Eliminating any discussion concerning the timing of the 70th. week presents issues. Declaring the 70th. week has passed also addresses the issue of whether or not it has any relation to any seven year period of tribulation... period. :biggrin

Thanks Vic C.,

Those are good points because the events appear to be inextricably interrelated. It’s difficult to cite references without involving other issues. That’s certainly acceptable. Otherwise, questions like these can easily get derailed by related (but off-topic) debates.

I’ll rephrase: I’d like to limit the topic to proving, disproving, or admitting as inconclusive the assertion that “tribulation†can be shown from scripture to correspond to a clearly defined seven-year interval.

You will also not fine trinity in the bible, Mars Jupiter, milky-way and so forth, But the 7 year tribulation is a period of time allotted to the jew's for the salvation of their nation... the first 3 1/2 not so bad?.. the second 3 1/2 is the time of Jacobs trouble..ie Israel.. the great tribulation.. I think what the site is saying is 3 1/2 yrs is the Great Tribulation... althought that period of time is inside the last 7 yrs of mans history, after the fall..

Thanks freeway,
I think scripture makes a good case for the Trinity; for example, “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one (1 John 5: 7).†Otherwise, I can’t find any scriptural correlation equating “tribulation†with a clearly defined seven-year interval.

It seems like a majority of prophecy students equate a seven-year time of tribulation with Daniel’s 70th week. Some students combine times of tribulation and great tribulation to make tribulation fit the seven-year period. Rapture discussions tend to revolve around this assumed equality. For example: pre-trib, mid-trib, and post-trib.

I tend to agree with the general ideas of Marvin Rosenthal and Robert Van Kampen (but not all of their specifics) regarding the pre-wrath rapture position. This position defines tribulation as a lesser interval, commencing with Antichrist’s abomination of desolation, and concluding with the rapture, in advance of the 70th week’s conclusion.

I can’t find any scriptures that equate a seven-year time of tribulation with the 70th week. Can anyone find scriptures that show tribulation (by definition) is synonymous with the 70th week?

The tribulation is the battle between the sinful flesh of man and the Word of God. This started the moment Adam and Eve begin disobey God's commandments. It will end during the battle of Armegeddon when the earth's crust is melted and everything on earth is destroyed. The sinful flesh of man will finally be destroyed forever.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back