Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is the Trinity biblical? Is Jesus really God?

Is this article saying the truth about the Trinity?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
i always thought "son of" was a simple phrase to denote state of being. son of the Most High - the heavens. son of man - this world. but it could have another meaning or double meaning.
Scripture gives us a good indication what it means. Numerous times throughout Scripture, men are identified by being "the son of" their father or even distant forefather. Who their father was was very important to their identity. Hence the significance of Jesus being called the Son of God. Son of Man is a reference to Daniel, where the title is used of the Messiah.

Scripture gives us a good indication what it means. Numerous times throughout Scripture, men are identified by being "the son of" their father or even distant forefather. Who their father was was very important to their identity. Hence the significance of Jesus being called the Son of God. Son of Man is a reference to Daniel, where the title is used of the Messiah.
Jesus is called Son of the Most High many times, by others, but almost never refers to Himself as that, always referring to Himself as Son of Man.
angels are sons of the Most High, when they come down here and take on human form are they sons of Most High or man?

What about it? Posting Scripture without stating how it is relevant or what you think it means, is largely pointless.
Only if someone chooses not to understand that the scripture posted under someone's declaration is indicative of relevance of the scripture added. In the case of your claim that God is not Jesus, Matthew 1:23 means to say very pointedly that you are wrong.

Jesus is called Son of the Most High many times, by others, but almost never refers to Himself as that, always referring to Himself as Son of Man.
Numbers don't matter. Jesus does refer to himself as the Son of God four times--John 3:18; 5:25; 10:36; 11:4.

angels are sons of the Most High, when they come down here and take on human form are they sons of Most High or man?
You'll have to provide verses where angels are called "sons of the Most High" as I cannot find any.

What is very important is that any titles used of Jesus take on a different meaning and significance when they are used of him. One can just search "Son of God" in the NT and see that this is the case. We also know that Jesus is the one and only Son. Together, both of those things strongly support my point.

if the name Immanuel means the one with the name is a godman, wouldnt all the Jews be expecting a godman?
Isaiah 7:14Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
14 Therefore Adonai himself
will give you people a sign:
the young woman* will become pregnant,
bear a son and name him ‘Immanu El [God is with us].

Only if someone chooses not to understand that the scripture posted under someone's declaration is indicative of relevance of the scripture added. In the case of your claim that God is not Jesus, Matthew 1:23 means to say very pointedly that you are wrong.
But it doesn't say anything of the sort. Jesus is God in the flesh, so of course it is consistent with "God with us." To say that God is Jesus, is to go against everything else the NT reveals about God.

But it doesn't say anything of the sort. Jesus is God in the flesh, so of course it is consistent with "God with us." To say that God is Jesus, is to go against everything else the NT reveals about God.
No, it doesn't.
John 16:28"I came forth from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world again and going to the Father."

John17:11 Now I am no longer in the world. They are in the world, but I am coming to you. Holy Father, guard them by the power of your name, which you have given to me, so that they may be one, just as we(we=hēmeis=ἡμεῖς hēmeîs, hay-mice'; nominative plural of G1473; we (only used when emphatic):—us, we (ourselves) are.

Numbers don't matter. Jesus does refer to himself as the Son of God four times--John 3:18; 5:25; 10:36; 11:4.
He refers to Himself four times as Son of the Most High and more than seventy times as Son of man. if numbers didnt matter the numbers would have been much more evenly split, thats just common sense.

You'll have to provide verses where angels are called "sons of the Most High" as I cannot find any.
again im gonna have to go with common sense, if the Most High didnt create angels then who created them

Isaiah 7:14Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
14 Therefore Adonai himself
will give you people a sign:
the young woman* will become pregnant,
bear a son and name him ‘Immanu El [God is with us].

yes i know what Immanuel means but thqat was not the question. why was no one expecting a godman?

No, it doesn't.
John 16:28"I came forth from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world again and going to the Father."

John17:11 Now I am no longer in the world. They are in the world, but I am coming to you. Holy Father, guard them by the power of your name, which you have given to me, so that they may be one, just as we(we=hēmeis=ἡμεῖς hēmeîs, hay-mice'; nominative plural of G1473; we (only used when emphatic):—us, we (ourselves) are.
I don't see how any of this is relevant.

He refers to Himself four times as Son of the Most High and more than seventy times as Son of man. if numbers didnt matter the numbers would have been much more evenly split, thats just common sense.
Even once is enough. Proper exegesis is not a game of numbers, as though a higher number in one thing will trump the lower number in another. It simply does not work that way. And that is common sense. This whole discussion is meaningless anyway. It has no bearing on whether or not Jesus is God or if God is triune.

again im gonna have to go with common sense,
Then, please, do.

if the Most High didnt create angels then who created them
Of course God created angels. That goes without saying, but that has nothing to do with anything.

GOd is not a man .......that He should lie....
Numbers 23:19
I am the Lord I change not.......
Malachi 3:6
Be very careful with Num. 23:19. The whole point of it is that God does not lie like men do. I hope that is what you're trying to say. What it most certainly cannot be used for is proof that Jesus is not God. So I hope that is not what you're trying to say.

yes i know what Immanuel means but thqat was not the question. why was no one expecting a godman?
They were expecting the Mashiyach, the Messiah. The anointed. Jesus was 100% God and 100% human male.
Isaiah tells us they would be expecting what you call , a godman.
Isaiah 9:5-7
For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God(El Gibbor), Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

Even once is enough. Proper exegesis is not a game of numbers, as though a higher number in one thing will trump the lower number in another. It simply does not work that way. And that is common sense. This whole discussion is meaningless anyway. It has no bearing on whether or not Jesus is God or if God is triune.
it shows that the preferred title that Jesus chose for Himself was son of man.

Of course God created angels. That goes without saying, but that has nothing to do with anything.
so the Almighty creates Angels, in the heavens and they are sons of man? sorry but that makes little sense at all.

Back