Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is there any evidence for God and if no why?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I am currently struggling with my faith, I am an an Orthodox Christian who only converted to the faith last year and I am really having doubts in my. faith, but I wanted to know is there any scientific evidence for God and no, why could that be?

Geetings orthodoxcrusader1996,
I am currently struggling with my faith, I am an an Orthodox Christian who only converted to the faith last year and I am really having doubts in my. faith, but I wanted to know is there any scientific evidence for God and no, why could that be?
I consider the following includes all aspects of creation, and TRUE science would agree with this. I have included few translations which help to clarify some of the words:
Romans 1:19–20 (KJV): 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Romans 1:19–20 (NIV84): 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine naturehave been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Romans 1:19–20 (NASB95): 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

Romans 1:19–20 (ESV): 19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Kind regards
Trevor

but I wanted to know is there any scientific evidence for God and no, why could that be?

Scientific evidence:-
Philosophically, evidence is evaluated through abstract, conceptual analysis while scientific evidence is more empirically grounded. The scientific evidence definition rests on the premise that it is concrete, measurable, reproducible, and consistent with theoretical expectations. Philosophy, on the contrary, explores the nuances of evidence, often delving into the subjective realm.

Nevertheless, both views contribute to an all-encompassing understanding of evidence, underlining its multifaceted nature. From https://sciencepod.net/scientific-evidence/

It is not possible to apply scientific tests to something that is spiritual and not in the created universe.

There is nothing wrong or sinful with having doubts or questions about one's faith.
What is sinful is not seeking answers or providing answers.
The statement " just have faith " is not biblical and not Christian.

May I point you at sires like coldcasechristianity, answersingenesis, reasonablefaith and winteryknight.

They all defend the accuracy and reliability of the bible and Christianity.
They are protestant, but are aimed at defending the bible and not at attacking other branches of Christianity.

Hello orthodoxcrusader1996.
The evidence in nature of the God described in the Bible is overwhelming.
Life on earth had a beginning, but we only observe life coming from what is already alive. That's puzzling!
Christians believe God is Eternal and life is a gift from Him and reproduces after its own kind. We see the whole human race is the result of one man and one woman (our dads and moms) and the rest of living things on earth only giving birth to things like themselves.
On the other hand, scientists teach life came from nonliving substances spontaneously. This is what no one observes.

Can "science" prove that God does not exist?

Science guesses at the age of the universe, the age of the sun, the age of the earth and so many other things. While there may be a "general consensus" among scientist; they do not all agree on everything; and they themselves have produced "evidence" that contradicts itself. And they still have no clue what "dark matter" and "dark energy" are; what they believe is a substantial portion of the universe.

There is no scientific evidence for God according to the scientific community.

Why?
Because it's a career-ending move for many scientists who want to explore anything involving the spiritual or supernatural aspects of our existence.

Personally, I try not to get too concerned when I have doubts. It's our natural human response. As much as we are expected to be, we are not content with just believing and trusting God and allowing Him to "take the wheel" (Carrie Underwood) of our lives. We prefer to be our own gods. That was part of the lure for Adam and Eve when the serpent said, "You will not surely die. For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God,..." (Genesis 3:4-5 NKJV) That is our desire. To be like God and not to be subject to the all-powerful, all-knowing, all-encompassing God.

Yes, I have doubts too and in fact I believe we all do on occasion. Even Jesus' disciples had doubts, every one of them, and they literally lived with Jesus for three years seeing first-hand when He cast out demons, healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, gave hearing and speech to the deaf and mute, cured physical deformities, raised the dead back to life, and even returned from the dead Himself.

We don't have the luxury of having witness such things but as Jesus said to Thomas, "Because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” (John 20:29 NKJV)

Having doubts is not uncommon but you can overcome them. Unfortunately, there is no evidence anyone can present to you to convince you of God's existence. It is something you need to see and accept for yourself. Look around you, I mean really look at the perfection of our world and how everything is so perfectly fit together and when you relax and let God open your mind and your heart, you will see His thumbprint on it all.

Consider the question of greenhouse effect. Did you know that the atmosphere is made up of over 78% nitrogen, just short of 21% oxygen, and just under 1% argon totaling about 99.96%. That leaves only 0.04% for carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, ozone, and others. Yet, at such a small percentage, it is believed that carbon dioxide and methane are a huge factor in causing rising global temperatures.

Another example is that if the moon did not exist or didn't have the mass it has and wasn't placed in its exact orbit as it is, life as we know it would not exist today. Same is true for the location of our world's orbit around the sun.

Other examples. If our earth didn't have the iron core it has resulting in the magnetic field that surrounds us we wouldn't survive because that magnetic field protects us from harmful radiation from the sun. Same is true with regard to the ozone layer in our atmosphere as it filters harmful UV and other radiation.

The symbiotic relationship between plant life and animal life is another example. The plants need animal life converting oxygen to carbon-dioxide and likewise animal life needs plants converting carbon-dioxide into oxygen.

This gives you some ideas of how precisely balanced things are in the world around us and even the slightest change can have dramatic results.

Hey All,
orthodoxcrusader1996, no. We cannot scientifically prove God exists. I'm sorry if this disappoints you. But it still takes faith.

I would offer you that your struggle is evidence. But that not scientific.

Do you have a more specific question about this?

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

I would suggest you study apologetics. You could research things like the fine-tuning argument for God's existence. Another aspect to consider is the fact that Christianity is the only religion in which a main tenet of it is based on a public event (Christ's resurrection.) The fact that the Bible says Jesus appeared to many people after his death-- and we know historically that Christianity grew insanely fast after that-- is a piece of evidence. Christianity couldn't have grown that fast if people did not see Jesus after he was resurrected.

Another thing to consider that I often think about is the fact that Christianity is a very logical religion. There are two great problems that humans struggle with-- fear and guilt. Christianity solves the problem of both. As a Christian, you are freed from guilt because your sins are forgiven and you are freed from fear because you gain triumph over death in eternal life. There is no other solution in the natural world to the problem of guilt. Sure, you can try to "forgive yourself" or "convince yourself you're not a bad person," but that won't actually truly relieve your guilt like Jesus's forgiveness does. And there is nothing that can free you from the fear of death like the fact that we as Christians have eternal life. The way of salvation is also logical. The fact that we are saved through faith and it has NOTHING to do with our works makes perfect sense. It is natural for the human mind to think we save ourselves through our good deeds, but the gospel-- that we are saved through faith in Jesus's sacrifice-- is so much higher and more logical. Because if it was works, how could we know we've done enough? And it makes perfect sense that the God of the universe ultimately wants our faith/trust, not works.

The Bible itself is also extremely cohesive. Especially when you think of how it was written by various authors throughout time.

Anyway, there are things you can definitely consider to help you build your faith and dispel doubt.

I am not Orthodox for various reasons, one of which being I believe Orthodoxy distorts the gospel. I myself am Protestant. So, I'm not sure if it is Orthodoxy that is in some ways causing some of your doubts. Regardless, I pray that God would help you overcome your doubts.

www.reasonablefaith.org
www.crossexamined.org
www.johnlennox.org
www.coldcasechristianity.com
www.str.org
www.discovery.org

It isn't, at bottom that you need facts and arguments to secure your trust in God but a direct, personal experience of Him. You will not doubt God when He is acting daily in your life in the way He promises to do for all those who are His. Merely knowing about God is not what God offers to us in relationship to Himself. He wants fellowship with us; and when we enjoy such fellowship with Him, doubts about His existence disappear.

1 John 1:3
3 ...our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 13:14
14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit, be with you all.

Revelation 3:20
20 'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

In the Person of the Holy Spirit, the Bible says, God will convict us of "truth, righteousness and judgment" (John 16:8; Revelation 2-3); He will teach us His truth (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10-16); He will strengthen us in times of testing and temptation (Philippians 2;13; Ephesians 3:16; Philippians 2;13; Romans 8:13, etc.); He will comfort us in seasons of sorrow and trouble (2 Corinthians 1:3-4); He will transform us, making us more and more like Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29; Galatians 5:22-23). When God is acting upon you in these ways, it's impossible to wonder about whether or not He exists!

On the scientific front, I'd suggest books such as There is a God (Anthony Flew), and Evolution 2.0 (Perry Marshall).

Yes, God's Word does supply scientific evidence of His existence.

Heb 11:1-3
11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God,
so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV

One of the basic scientific laws in the field of physics in the area of thermodynamics is that material matter cannot be created nor destroyed, but only changes its state (solid, liquid, gas, vapor).

The above phrase in red in Hebrews 11:3 is what that is about.

The things which are seen, i.e., the things of this material creation that we see, which includes the stars and planets, i.e., the universe, were not made of things which do appear. In other words, matter did not create matter.

Time to go deeper...

So if material matter of the universe did not create itself, then that automatically means something that IS NOT matter created the universe. It automatically points to the existence of ANOTHER DIMENSION OF EXISTENCE outside material matter, outside the material universe, independent of it.

It automatically points to the existence of the Dimension of Spirit. That means there are 2 separate dimensions of existence, this earthly material universe, and the Heavenly dimension of Spirit.

In John 4:24, he says, "God is a Spirit". At the original creation of the material universe, God spoke, and it came into existence by His Word, which was an operation of that Heavenly dimension of Spirit. Once this is understood, one should never doubt how just the existence of this material world we live in is hard evidence that GOD exists.

You will have to go outside the box if you want to find peace, joy, righteousness and life in Christ Jesus.
In a way as written "outside the city", to follow Jesus Himself, hopeful with His people, as written.

Back