Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is there such thing as a Christian Country in the world?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So my wife and I enjoy travel and are open to visiting and possibly moving to someplace which demonstrates obedience to the Lord. We all know that something like 78% of Americans say they are Christian, but their actions and voting record indicates it's all talk and no heart. Still, the US is largely regarded as the most Christian country in many media outlets, but is it?

Think about it, if you're Muslim, you can move to all kinds of countries where Muslim law is enforced, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, and Indonesia are just a few that spring to mind.
If you're a Jew, there is the obvious choice of Israel.
If you're Hindu, India is the place to be.
If you're Buddhist, Thailand or Cambodia are almost singularly Buddhist.

For Christianity, there's a huge list of countries that claim to be 90+ % Christian, but do any of them actually SHOW it? I was stunned to see that Greece is listed as 98% Christian, but when I went there in the spring, we were amazed at the erotic art available in every major shop, sex toys for sale literally next to one of the Churches, and all the tour guides speaking of Greek mythology as if it were a viable possibility of events. In terms of visible moral values, it was hard to say that it was really a Christian nation, which seems to be a common theme. Are there any countries that - regardless of official census - truly demonstrate what it means for a nation to be obedient to Christ in all they do?

Is there such thing as a Christian Country in the world?

No. Nor should there be.

It was a mistake for the Church to become involved in the state as it was in the European countries. Most of the atrocities that the Church was a party to came when the Church forgot her role and tried to run countries.

Yes, Islam, Hinduism, Buddaism, etc, all have countries that more or less force the religion on the folks. Christianity though must, has to come from a person's personal walk with God. Otherwise hypocrisy runs rampant, hence the atrocities.

Even when America was at it's most "Christian", during the 1700's and 1800's, think about what we were doing. Practicing genocide against the native Americans, keeping Blacks enslaved, the horrid conditions of child labor, etc.

I'm not sure why it is, but the Church seems to grow and operate the why we should when we are not in control of politics.

As it is, America is the most Christian nation, not because all the folks act Christian, but because the Church is operating as it should here, being a vital part of society without imposing itself on others via laws and force.

Christianity grows best under persecution. Using that as a guide I would say that the most Christian nation is China right now. India is another. They see our attachment to idols and comforts for what they are. A Christian follows Christ better through opposition not tolerance. Where evil abounds so does grace! :yes

;) I guess it's all in how we want to define "Christian Nation". I agree, Adullam that the Church does indeed grow best when being persecuted. I don't know why that is, but it certainly seems to be true.

I was defining "Christian Nation" not as one in which the Church grows the best, but in which the nation most reflects what Christianity should be. I picked America, because America does have free will when it comes to religion and our laws, which while not set up to make a theocracy, nonetheless were born out of Christian principles grant the most folks the ability to follow God as the Spirit so leads them. This isn't to say that the Church is strongest here, it's not. I don't know the state of the Church in all other countries, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Church is healthiest in China.

I realize that a lot of folks like to claim that Christian fundamentalism is rampant here in the States and that makes a hostile environment to be non-Christian or atheist, but those folks making that claim should try to go to someplace like China or Pakistan and find out what real fundamentalism is. Here in the state, it's not considered OK by anyone to convert others to Christianity via maiming, murdering, raping and bombing or the threat of 30 years in a hard labor camp.

the church should never be a state but it should be the conscience of the state, think about she we christian not vote at all, and let the abortions go wild,and allow the legalization of the gay rights, and what about the assisted suicide. yes we christians have messed things up pretty bad and i agree with adullam on the church. just look at some of the views on this site on a great deal of things, some are downright opposite to what jesus taught.

jason

jasoncran said:
the church should never be a state but it should be the conscience of the state, think about she we christian not vote at all, and let the abortions go wild,and allow the legalization of the gay rights, and what about the assisted suicide. yes we christians have messed things up pretty bad and i agree with adullam on the church. just look at some of the views on this site on a great deal of things, some are downright opposite to what jesus taught.

jason
Christians should vote, but should remember that Not every one follows thier morality laws.

Why should someone who is a non believe not have consider Assisted Suicide or Gay Rights when the only thing that would hold them back is Religious reasons. Forcing a non believer to conform to something they don't believe in is combining State and Church.

IF their is a logical and Ethical reason not to make a law or rights pass, use it. If there is only Religious or Belief oriented reasons, don't. ;)

assited suicide is being abused in holland as some of those being treated aren't exactly old nor on all of them have terminal illness, funny what you are saying that we christian shouldnt force our views because other dont share your morality, i never said anything of that sort,towards saying those who arent christians have no rights to vote, or run or office, it's called a democracy(we are republic in actuality). The majority rules on the vote, if it didnt then we might as well go an oligarchy.

assisted abuse links

first one is a view on how it can be abused and the mentality behind and the sliperry slope
http://tucsoncitizen.com/godblogging/20 ... d-suicide/

this link is on the slippery slope of it and how the netherlands does it, and it also even more sources.
http://disweb.org/cda/issues/pas/golden1.html

now i believe that we christian should vote according to conscience those who disagree aren't denied a right to vote, what we christian should only practice our faith in private, accept that our moral/world view is based on a myth, cause science cant prove it, that the book we read and believe is written by man, that science says if one is born a certain way no way to change, no miracles, your dead your done. no judgment, no definition of good or evil, no truth as it relative. no i wont give up my faith. The lord has been good to me. :topictotopic

lance i have no desire to argue with you , you believe what you want to that's the right you have, and vice versa. we arent gonna budge

jason

Canada is the best country in the world... and Vancouver is the best city in Canada (mildest weather and the most to see and do). Our country has the most freedoms. Travel, speaking your mind,starting a business... etc. We have very little prejudice compared to many countries. Why would someone from India with a civil engineering degree, give up their degree to move to Canada... and work in a 7/11 store... because we are the best country in the world. We let each other live in peace. We are not interested in redneck attitudes. We are multicultural and don't have a problem with it.
I LOVE THIS COUNTRY. IT'S NUMBER 1 :yes :yes :yes :) :)

i have been to Victoria,BC, beautiful area, some of the locals were downright rude to me, but i dont shape my whole opinion of Canada on that. Where i live we get a lot of the Canadian snowbirds, I also work with two former Canadian citizens.

jason

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back