Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is this "Bible Study"

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
First of all the Study has to be right on with the true literal word of Scripture.There are so many different interpretations of Scripture on this board.I am very,very fussy about the teachings that I follow.My discernment goes into overload when I am following someones teachings.

Last edited:
First of all the Study has to be right on with the true literal word of Scripture.There are so many different interpretations of Scripture on this board.
Well, I have shown you many times, personally, with the simple verse, Luke 14:26, that this is not an accurate assumption.

Last edited:
I wish more Bible studies had leaders with a real scholarly knowledge of Scripture, I like those best.
For this site, I like that we have people from different denominations and different interpretations. I find that interesting, thinking outside the box.

First of all the Study has to be right on with the true literal word of Scripture.There are so many different interpretations of Scripture on this board.I am very,very fussy about the teachings that I follow.My discernment goes into overload when I am following someones teachings.
Agree and if one holds the opinion that reading the Word of God once is all they are going to do, they should never enter into a Bible Study, here or at their Church of choice, pick any part of a Life Application
Study, all I ever want to teach, and drive to change the subject to their own taste. Such things are not Spirit driven and we are called to subject our will to that of the Holy Spirit.

James 4 [WEB]

1 Where do wars and fightings among you come from? Don’t they come from your pleasures that war in your members? 2 You lust, and don’t have. You kill, covet, and can’t obtain. You fight and make war. You don’t have, because you don’t ask. 3 You ask, and don’t receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it for your pleasures. 4 You adulterers and adulteresses, don’t you know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who lives in us yearns jealously”? 6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Be subject therefore to God. But resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Lament, mourn, and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he will exalt you.
11 Don’t speak against one another, brothers. He who speaks against a brother and judges his brother, speaks against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law, but a judge. 12 Only one is the lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge another?

I wish more Bible studies had leaders with a real scholarly knowledge of Scripture, I like those best.
For this site, I like that we have people from different denominations and different interpretations. I find that interesting, thinking outside the box.
That is the issue, even with the scholar, in many cases. The Bible is interpreted when it is moved from the original languages to the one required and then the reader, scholar or not, must submit to the Holy Spirit for the needed meaning. In the past I have read the same passage four or more times and through the Spirit's leading, recieved four different applications... none of them in conflict with the others.

As long as we refuse to study the Word, led by the Holy Spirit, we study in vain. That is why it is mentioned of Christians being as Iron sharpening Iron. the Spirit gives each of us as and when we need. It is ten our purpose, as described in the last three verses of Matthew to teach one another and as it agrees with the scriptures, we must.

I agree. Don't want to offend anyone, but generally speaking, this site is simply not a source of good solid Biblical teaching and edification. It's too overwhelmed with loose cannon doctrines and opinions.

Truthfully, I'm going to suggest the only reason any of us are here is because the church in general lacks good Biblical teaching and edification and we're starving to death, so we go hunting for what we need in places like this.

Sites like this have a lot of potential (I think), but it's just not being fully realized.
I should attend my church bible study, but since I help with the boys for the time being I miss out on that.

Can you speak in it? And are you allowed to question official church doctrine, or entertain and examine differing doctrines?
Im not sure, I know that being a pre tribber isn't church doctrine but my position on eschatology might not be taken so well. sadly what is called bible study at times is really indoctrination of church bible positions.

Im not sure, I know that being a pre tribber isn't church doctrine but my position on eschatology might not be taken so well. sadly what is called bible study at times is really indoctrination of church bible positions.
So sadly true.

I used to attend a youth Bible study. (Still do, actually, but as a volunteer PowerPoint operator.)
It was more like a church service than a Bible study, they'd have worship, different people would come and speak. When was still one of the youth there I identified with the place and got a lot out of it. Some good worship times, and the topics spoke to me a lot at the time.

I wouldn't refer to it as a Bible study speaking in the strictest form of the word. More like a youth ministry.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back