Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Tithing required by the New Testament?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

iLOVE

Does the New Testament require a Christian to tithe 10% of gross income every payday?

Last edited:
Tithes and Offerings

In His Presence:
You shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always (Deuteronomy 14:23).

God told the Israelites they were robbing Him in two ways: in their tithes and in their offerings. The word tithe means one-tenth, and it refers back to a time even before the nation of Israel existed, when God conveyed the expectation that man would recognize His sovereignty by giving a tithe.

In Genesis 14:17-24, Abraham offered Melchizedek, the king of Salem, a tithe because of the victory God had given him and the blessing that God had bestowed upon him. Abraham offered a tithe to Melchizedek, who was the forerunner to Jesus Christ, and Jesus Christ is greater than Melchizedek (Hebrews 7). If Abraham had to offer a tithe to Melchizedek, and Jesus is the follower of Melchizedek, then how much more do we have a responsibility to honor the sovereignty of Christ who is the King of the world?

Leviticus 27:30 says that the tithe is "holy to the Lord." The tithe doesn't belong to us; it belongs to God. The tithe teaches that there is only one Creator and Sustainer, and it's not us.

While the tithe is mandatory, the offering is voluntary. We determine the amount of the offering, and it is from the heart. But an offering is never an offering until we have given the full tithe. We must first give what God expects, and then we can give over and above that expectation to reflect a heart of love, gratitude, and rejoicing. If we don't give to God out of obedience and gratitude, it shows that something is wrong with our hearts.
http://www.lightsource.com/ministry...ternative-view-february-20-2015-11646003.html

“Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21 NIV)

You are going to enjoy forever what you invest in Heaven, and you invest in Heaven every time you use money for good.
Yesterday we talked about investing in eternity by using your money to grow your character, encourage fellowship in the Body of Christ, and serve others in need. There are two more funds that you should invest in so that you can yield eternal dividends in Heaven.
  1. The fourth of God’s investment funds is the Global Fund. This is when you use your money to share the Good News and bring people to Jesus. Luke 16:9 says, “Use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings” (NIV). A lot of people have no idea what this verse means. Is it saying that you can buy friends? Not at all. It means that God wants you to invest in things that help get people into Heaven so that when you get to Heaven, they will welcome you there. It’s the greatest investment of your life. Is anybody going to be in Heaven because of you?
  2. The last investment fund is God’s Treasury Fund. When you give money to God as an act of worship, that’s called the Treasury Fund. God makes a promise in Proverbs 3:9: “Honor the Lord by giving him the first part of all your income, and he will fill your barns with wheat and barley and overflow your wine vats with the finest wines” (TLB). A tithe is when you give the first 10 percent of your income to God. Anything given above a tithe is called an offering. You can’t really give God anything, because he already owns it all. But think about the allowance you got as a child. If you went out and bought a birthday present for your mom, you’re really using her money. Does that mean she would like the gift any less? No! Because she cares more about the thought and the love behind the gift. God feels the same way about your giving.
The Bible says that wherever our treasure is, our heart will also be there. If what’s most important to you are the things of this earth, then every day you are moving further and further away from your treasure. Because every day you are here on Earth, you’ve got one less day here on Earth. You’re moving further and further away from the things you’re going to leave behind.

But, if you’re investing in God’s funds and using your money to serve God’s purposes, then you’re storing up treasure in Heaven every day. You’re getting closer and closer to your treasure instead of further and further away.

Jim Elliot once said, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

Pray this aloud or in your heart today: “Dear God, forgive me for all that I’ve spent on things that aren’t going to last. I want to start investing in Heaven. I want to invest in these godly funds. I want to use my money the way you want me to use it. Today I commit to using my money to grow my character and grow in spiritual strength, wisdom, and knowledge and become all that you want me to be. Help me to see ways that I can use what you have given to me to strengthen relationships and show love to my brothers and sisters in Christ. I want to invest in eternity by using my money to serve others. I want to learn to be generous. I want to be a blessing to others. And I want to use my money to bring people to you. I want people to be in Heaven because I gave. I want to spread the Gospel through my acts of service. And Father, I want to show where my treasure is by investing in eternity through my gifts and offerings to you. I want to honor you by giving you the first part of all my income. I want to give up my lust for money so that the Almighty himself will be my treasure. Help me to remember that I’m not a fool to give up what I cannot keep to gain what I cannot lose. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.”
http://rickwarren.org/devotional/english/how-can-you-store-up-treasure-in-heaven

Does the New Testament require a Christian to tithe 10% of gross income every payday?
The principle in the NT is Christian "liberality" -- a spiritual "grace". That could mean 100% less living expenses. See Acts 2 and other Scriptures.

All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. Acts 4:32 NIV

Indeed, maybe 100% is the NT norm.

Tithes and Offerings

In His Presence:
You shall eat in the presence of the Lord your God, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the firstborn of your herd and your flock, so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always (Deuteronomy 14:23).

What if we have no produce or herds? Do we buy it and eat it in Gods presence?

Or, do we just spend 10% of our monetary income on ourselves in the presence of God?

Whatever the case may be, where is his chosen place the verse mentions, the place we are to partake in his presence?

Or do we somehow take from that, we should give 10% of our money or produce/herds to a church and not use it ourselves in the presence of the Lord like he says...and if so, how do we conclude such from that verse?

Finally, who was being addressed in that verse, me? you? all of us? another person/group of persons?

Thanks for bringing up the question, it's one that has been on my mind for the past couple days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my hazy understanding of the subject. Someone better versed may be able to clarify it some more.

Rabbis generally interpreted the Mosaic Law as there were 3 different tithes. One tithe went to support the Levites. A 2nd tithe was to be eaten on the annual pilgrimage to Jerusalem. The 3rd tithe was collected every 3 years, and went to support the poor and such. A total of 23 1/3% annualized.

It was generally interpreted to be an agricultural and sheep/oxen tithe. That is, the rabbis generally held that city dwellers were exempt, because they had no crops or sheep/oxen. Most Jews today don't tithe, since there is no temple, Levitical priesthood, and few farm/raise animals. In addition to the 23 1/3% tithes, there were also several obligatory offerings commanded, that were stored at the temple. Also, an annual temple tax to maintain the temple.

Many Christians tithe 10% today, because the principle of 10% tithing predates the law. Abraham tithed 10% to Melchisedech, and Jacob is recorded giving 10% to the Lord (Genesis 14 and 28).

An example of an offering:

If a person accidentally sins and does something against the holy things of the Lord, he must bring from the flock a male sheep that has nothing wrong with it. This will be his penalty offering to the Lord. Leviticus 5:15a NCV

In Acts 5, Ananias and Sapphira's sin seemed to be the deceitful offering they presented to the Lord rather than the amount that they gave. That's how I always understood it. 2 Corinthians 9 says we should give freely with a happy heart.

My impression of God's desire as it is presented in scripture is that it is preferable to give 5% happily than 10 or 15% out of obligation. More important than the fixed 10% detailed in the OT is the life lived with an open hand and the faith that all will be well because of His love for us.

2 Corinthians 9 says we should give freely with a happy heart.

When something is required from Christians and it's well described/cut and dry in the Bible, I don't think most of us would have any problem with happily doing it without a second thought.

I just wish it was more clear how much of what we are to give and how we are to give it. I posed some questions earlier and I really wasn't trying to be a smart blank when doing so. Those questions really need to be answered or other scripture from the NT needs to be specific on the issue.

It's always been a given that we give 10% of our weekly income and not to many Churches or TV preachers are going to tell us, "well, that may not be exactly biblical" so we end up with the man made knowledge unless we start looking into it ourselves and then see verses like the first one mentioned on this thread and go...hmmm? Then do a Google on the issue and see so much more. How much is important when one is on a low fixed income, otherwise it wouldn't matter that much, and we could just throw our 10% in the plate and not worry about it.

Can anyone point to one place in the bible where it states clearly, beyond a doubt we give 10% of all our gross or net monetary income and to who?

The Biblical regular tithes were only clean foods that were created by God. Not man made money or anything else man made.

As far as we know, Abraham didn't tithe from his own goods, animals etc, just the one time spoils of war and gave the rest back to the king he had taken it from.
Jacob made a deal with the Lord, I imagine he kept his agreement to tithe from his herd after God brought him home to the land of his father. The Bible doesn't ever mention it again as a tithe. Although about twenty yrs. later after returning to his country, he built an altar. I think this may be when he kept his promise to God.
More important than the fixed 10% detailed in the OT is the life lived with an open hand and the faith that all will be well because of His love for us.
Agree.

I was thinking about tithing on the way to work this morning and Matthew 5:41-42 came to mind.
And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.
If we really take this to heart, wouldn't we basically give everything we can possibly afford to give and then some?

If we really take this to heart, wouldn't we basically give everything we can possibly afford to give and then some?
imo.....
If you can't afford to give it you shouldn't be giving it, unless the Lord has given you a specific directive. If He, does then He will make sure that you can meet your other obligations (promises that you have made to others.)
It is never good when Christians give and then do not pay their bills, because they can't afford to. It is not a good witness for the Lord.

imo.....
If you can't afford to give it you shouldn't be giving it, unless the Lord has given you a specific directive. If He, does then He will make sure that you can meet your other obligations (promises that you have made to others.)
It is never good when Christians give and then do not pay their bills, because they can't afford to. It is not a good witness for the Lord.
Okay. Let me rephrase it by removing "and then some" from my question.

I was thinking about tithing on the way to work this morning and Matthew 5:41-42 came to mind.
And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

Not necessarily, they have to ask and not sure the mile thing involves any money/things.

That, as I see it, is just about generally helping people that ask for it and nothing to do with a tithe. But since there at least appears at this point to be no official tithe required, it's good to know what were are supposed to give. I think we are to give to the poor as well and I don't think it's necessary to wait around for them to ask. That verse only says what we have to do, we can go up and above that if we wish.

Okay. Let me rephrase it by removing "and then some" from my question.
Sorry, WIP, for being so nit picking. I know you are referring to grace giving and we should help anyway we can and I completely agree with you.
ie. I don't Need new clothes but there are people who Need food, clothing, etc. What should I do? The answer appears to be pretty clear to me.

I am really, maybe, overly sensitive about this subject. The prosperity preachers have so corrupted God's Words about tithing, about giving, that it just really burns me. I have personally seen some of the damage they have done.
Give me your 10%, and your of the yearly seed offering, etc., etc. and the Lord will return to you 10 fold, and the poorest and elderly, who need to be financially blessed, give and give.
These guys have learned the trick of lottery tickets, only they do it with absolute promises of a financial return.

Is the tithe food or money in the New Testament (NT)? Has the term tithe been deleted in the NT and replace with 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 NASB?

"6 Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

What is the dictionary meaning of tithe?

What is the dictionary meaning of tithe?
I don't know in the dictionary and don't really care. The Hebrew and Greek definition is 1/10.

Is the tithe food or money in the New Testament (NT)?
In reference to giving I don't see the word tithe at all in the NT.

Has the term tithe been deleted in the NT and replace with 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 NASB?
What do you mean by deleted?
Yes Corinthians is speaking about giving under the new covenant of grace.

Give me your 10%, and your of the yearly seed offering, etc., etc. and the Lord will return to you 10 fold, and the poorest and elderly, who need to be financially blessed, give and give.
These guys have learned the trick of lottery tickets, only they do it with absolute promises of a financial return.

Leaving those already poor and often desperate people more poor and desperate and what's worse, often blaming themselves because "I must not have had enough faith to receive my blessing"

Sickening.

It doesn't negate that law of God that existed before the OT/OC was written, but we have more leeway to do what God leads us to do. Matt 23:23 (NIV)

Back