Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Victoria Osteen a Heretic?

Is Victoria Osteen a heretic?

• Yes, she's a heretic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Her statement was heresy, but it's not enough to make her a heretic

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I disagree with her statement, but I wouldn't call it heresy

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • If you're happy, God's happy

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Scripture is the standard. Always go back to Scripture, for any test/evaluation/proof. (and same like the disciples in Scripture, it still requires the gift from Yhvh in heaven to have any understanding at all).

Here is what Jesus said -

10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. John 15:10-11

When we obey God by keeping His commandments, His joy remains in us so much so, that our joy is full.

When we obey God, we will be full of joy.

This is basically what the woman said.

She probably didn't word as eloquent as maybe some of you, but this is basically what she said.

Right out of God's word.

Heretic? No.

JLB

No, that is not what she said. It was quite clear, and I think Pastor Steve Camp described it quite accurately as promoting the sin of idolatry. Putting yourself before God is never a good thing. Sure, God delights in our happiness, but only happiness when it comes from serving Him, not for our own gratification.

Just curious. Has anyone here ever seen the rest of that video? Or is all this speculation being based upon a video clip that was deliberately shortened to only the 33 seconds shown?

That doesn't sound a bit strange to any of you? Why would someone not go ahead and post at least three or four minutes of what she was speaking on? Unless, possibly, a little more of that talk might show too much to be able to damn her like this 33 seconds attempts to?

Just curious. Has anyone here ever seen the rest of that video? Or is all this speculation being based upon a video clip that was deliberately shortened to only the 33 seconds shown?

That doesn't sound a bit strange to any of you? Why would someone not go ahead and post at least three or four minutes of what she was speaking on? Unless, possibly, a little more of that talk might show too much to be able to damn her like this 33 seconds attempts to?
when I was on that site I cant copy that video. so that person had to have been in service and just doctored it.

Here is what Jesus said -

10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. 11 These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. John 15:10-11

When we obey God by keeping His commandments, His joy remains in us so much so, that our joy is full.

When we obey God, we will be full of joy.

This is basically what the woman said.

She probably didn't word as eloquent as maybe some of you, but this is basically what she said.

Right out of God's word.

Heretic? No.

JLB

Many would say that there's a difference between joy and happiness. The article says:

Does God promise us happiness? Not necessarily. Happiness is based on happenings. Nowhere does Scripture promise that Jesus' followers will always be happy and prosperous. In fact, Jesus warned us: "In the world you will have tribulation" (John 16:33). "Tribulation" translates the Greek word thlipsis, which was used for the weight that crushed grain into flour. If you're not feeling pressured by the world today, just wait a while.

Does God promise us joy? Absolutely. Christian joy is a deep-seated sense of tranquility that transcends circumstances.

The TOG​

Many would say that there's a difference between joy and happiness. The article says:

The TOG​
im not defending her statement just that it needs to be in context. as bad as I type. imagine if some atheist took my statements on Judaism out of context. it wouldn't be that hard to do.

No, that is not what she said. It was quite clear, and I think Pastor Steve Camp described it quite accurately as promoting the sin of idolatry. Putting yourself before God is never a good thing. Sure, God delights in our happiness, but only happiness when it comes from serving Him, not for our own gratification.

Why is Pastor Steve Camp's opinion, exalted over the words of Jesus?

Why would Jesus say if you obeyed Him, that His Joy would remain in you, and that you would be full of joy.

When you obey the Lord, it makes Him happy and it makes you happy, joyful.

This is one of the blessings for obedience.

It is something that we can look forward too.

Joy for being obedience, both His joy and your joy.

JLB

im not defending her statement just that it needs to be in context. as bad as I type. imagine if some atheist took my statements on Judaism out of context. it wouldn't be that hard to do.

That, Jason, is exactly my point. There is not a one of us reading this that could not be made to look like either fools, or heathens, or villains if only certain parts of some of our posts were printed........ And yet, we will take something like this and gleefully run with it, having not even the slightest idea if we are defaming her with the actual intent or meaning of what she spoke about that day.

And we will still sit and swear we are Christians.

The TOG​

Those two are ministering to mostly baby Christians and others coming out of other religions, and even homosexuals that don't feel comfortable any other place.

In a word, baby Christians who need milk. [ Not that homosexuals will remain saved if they don't repent]

If you can instill the seed of obedience in those types, at an early age, then it doesn't really matter if you use a word that everybody can relate to.

Thanks for your input, and you are right, there is a difference.

JLB

Last edited:

The TOG​

Did anyone bother to ask her what happiness meant to her or if she sees a difference between happiness and joy?
I personally don't. I think that Pastor sees his happiness based on something other than the Lord. Another case of semantics for the Pastor.

I still can't find anywhere to listen to more of what she said than this snippet so I can't judge what she meant.

Did anyone bother to ask her what happiness meant to her or if she sees a difference between happiness and joy?
I personally don't. I think that Pastor sees his happiness based on something other than the Lord. Another case of semantics for the Pastor.

I still can't find anywhere to listen to more of what she said than this snippet so I can't judge what she meant.

Here's one article where Victoria replies to the criticism of her statement. I've seen a couple of others as well. In all of them she is quoted as saying that she could have worded it better, but she stands by what she said. She says that she didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't worship God, but that's not what she's being accused of. People are saying that she implied that our relationship with God and worship of Him is primarily for our happiness, and she hasn't denied that as far as I can see.

The TOG​

Here's one article where Victoria replies to the criticism of her statement. I've seen a couple of others as well. In all of them she is quoted as saying that she could have worded it better, but she stands by what she said. She says that she didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't worship God, but that's not what she's being accused of. People are saying that she implied that our relationship with God and worship of Him is primarily for our happiness, and she hasn't denied that as far as I can see.

The TOG​
if I may, do we know if we are honest marry a person for in part our own desire to be happy with them? we are incapable of that type of love where jesus loves unconditionally. we cant do that. I know pastors that have said. I do good works for rewards. yet not a peep about the myriads for that.

The TOG​
Well, maybe a lot of you are more "Holy" than me, but I would not even BE a Christian if it made me miserable. I get thrilled when I am worshiping Him, and I usually have a grin all the way across my face.

I would be lying if I didn't think as she said. I have said that in my heart. I have been convicted for that but lets be real. god does bless us. why? because he wants to please us. he does want us to be happy. I love seeing jaci laugh and giggle.

Before you rush to judgment and declare an immediate, “Yes!” just sit for a moment and really think about it. Are you a true blue, unashamed, unabashed follower of Christ or do you sometimes conveniently leave your faith at the door depending on the circumstance? Fan vs. follower … that is the question.

If you were accused of being a Christian
where you work, would there be enough evidence to convict you? Or would you be found "innocent of all charges"?

Am I the only one here who has sometimes gone to church when I really wasn't all that excited about going.... simply knowing that just being there always makes me feel better (happy)?

"While I admit that I could have been more articulate in my remarks, I stand by my point that when we worship God and are obedient to Him we will be better for it,” she said. “I did not mean to imply that we don’t worship God; that’s ridiculous, and only the critics and cynics are interpreting my remarks that way.”
Osteen continued, “Every Lakewood member knows what I was talking about because they have experienced first hand the joy and victory of a Lakewood Church worship service, and the honor, reverence and gratitude we show God.”

So unless I call her a liar, this above is what her POINT was. And to me that point is Very Biblical.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back