Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is watching TV a sin?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

NathanTH

Hey. This is my first time on these forums and I would like to ask you guys what your opinion is on if watching TV a sin. When ever I watch shows I still think of God and the Bible. When ever I hear or am about to hear someone swear I say "Fudge" instead than, well, you know what word :tongue When it's over I say I enjoyed it, other than <Insert bad part here>. what do you people think?

First of all, welcome.:)

TV is a medium, which can be used for good or evil. I don't think it's inherently sinful, but it can make us more open to sin.
That said, there are different opinions on what programs are acceptable and which are not. Personally, things like swearing won't turn me away from a program unless it's profuse and/or vulgar. (And to be honest in most cases I've seen much worse on the internet.)
I guess the biggest thing to keep in mind is how what we watch affects our attitude and our actions.

JMO.:chin

I ask my self would i want or invite Jesus to watch this with me...

If 'they ' sneak junk in i turn the TV off....

Watching tv is not a sin-in my opinion. But, if it gets in the way of your daily worshiping or studying or taking the place of church then I would consider it unpleasing to God. Just thinking about God is not the same as studying His word or actively seeking Him. I prioritize and tv is last on my list....I mostly have it off during the day. The more I seek to have a relationship with Jesus the less I desire those things. I used to be a big reality tv watcher but now find that is not as entertaining as it was before and would rather not watch it. I will watch things from time to time but find it is not appealing with the language and the decline of morality that it portrays.

Just use your judgement and maybe something inside is telling you different otherwise you might not be thinking about it :). Welcome here and I hope you learn a lot....I will be around if you need any help or have any questions!

BornAgain

Hey. This is my first time on these forums and I would like to ask you guys what your opinion is on if watching TV a sin. When ever I watch shows I still think of God and the Bible. When ever I hear or am about to hear someone swear I say "Fudge" instead than, well, you know what word :tongue When it's over I say I enjoyed it, other than <Insert bad part here>. what do you people think?

I do not watch TV. I don't believe it is a sin...but I just don't watch it. I watch only the news, sports and the weather. I believe that Television wastes a lot of time. If there is a documentary I will watch it. I believe my time should be spent wisely as the bible said. The thing about TV is that it is not like a book where you can review what you have read.

Time for me is important. Once time is gone....it cannot be retrieved.

I don't know if I would call watching TV sinful, but boy is it hard to find much to watch that doesn't glorify sin. Personally I don't watch much TV.

I don't think it's a sin in itself. But there are lots of things on TV that are sinful. I think there are better things to do that watch it all the time. Thankfully I don't have TV otherwise I would probably be watching way too much. I really like watching those animal cops shows...

I avoid TV. I don't know if its sinful to watch it, but I think if you watch too much TV, stuff sinks into your mind that probably hinders your walk with God. Just think about what you see on dramas, soaps, sitcoms, etc. It doesn't even have to be blatant sex stuff or swearing to be anti-God. The people who write those shows are pushing products and a secular lifestyle that is fundamentally opposed to the Christian lifestyle. News...different. I personally find that reading my news online is better, anyway, because I can then do googling and see what's really going on (less bias when you get important stories from multiple sources...I particularly recommend The Guardian and BBC online).

Just my thoughts. Also, too much TV is kind of like a tranquilizer. It dulls the senses.

Being that you can't control what is being placed in front of you, watching tv opens you up to subliminal messages that you may not ever notice and demonic influence. I don't watch tv anymore. I choose my news and videos online from sources I trust.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back