Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

is World Of Warcraft a evil game?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

DylanJack

Over the past few years now my friends have been playing the game called World Of Warcraft or "WOW" for short. We used to go to church together and talk about the fine things in life but since then all they do is play there computer games.

one has even given up with faith in the lord all together, I'm just wondering what you guys think about it

I don't think the game in itself is evil. I think the issue comes with how a person reacts to the game. If it's a stumbling block for them, or a subject of idolatry, well of course there is a problem. However, i've played the game before and that's what I saw it as. A game. Don't play it anymore because I am poor and do not feel like wasting the money on it. I now play DnD (online) instead. Both I see as games.
Also, if a person leaves their belief in God point blank, chances are t's not because of a game. If it is, I'd personally doubt them having much of a relationship in the first place. Having played WoW, I'd especially stand by this opinion.

Over the past few years now my friends have been playing the game called World Of Warcraft or "WOW" for short. We used to go to church together and talk about the fine things in life but since then all they do is play there computer games.

one has even given up with faith in the lord all together, I'm just wondering what you guys think about it

...It's only a game.
In case you didn't know, WoW is infamous for being highly addictive. Those who play it hail it as the best video-game ever made. I personally didn't like it, but if your friend plays it it shouldn't be a surprise that he plays it a lot.

...It's only a game.
In case you didn't know, WoW is infamous for being highly addictive. Those who play it hail it as the best video-game ever made. I personally didn't like it, but if your friend plays it it shouldn't be a surprise that he plays it a lot.

Not quite sure how a religion would change a person's religious beliefs. If it does, the person's faith in his/her religion was probably not very strong to begin with. The addiction part of WoW is a little troubling however. Go out and live life with real people. WoW is not that cool. Then again, Mila Kunis does play it a lot and she is one of the most attractive girls ever so....

Last edited by a moderator:
WoW is evil for garnishing enough hype to make me waste money on it, to give it a chance. The game is boring. I played FFXI instead. Americans generally dismiss FFXI, but I'll take my virtual barbie on FFXI over that ape-frog looking human in WoW, any day.

^that's fair, but it depends who you talk to. I used to play Guild Wars (I stopped because of exams, boredom, and my computer's limited resources) and thought it was excellent, but another fellow I was acquainted with said it was WoW Lite (which is pretty accurate by all accounts).

I've never played WoW myself - I may buy it one day and join a private server ($30 a month when I can play GW for free? No thanks, I'll either take my business elsewhere or exercise the right to private use I attained when I purchased the software) - but watching other people play it and talking to people's experiences with it, it's fine.

The subject matter is pure fantasy - about as evil as reading Lord of the Rings - and in regards to how one might react to it by spending more time playing it than they possibly should, that's simply a matter of self-control which that same person would probably be afflicted by watching the telly, reading books or playing golf. WoW isn't a special case: anything can be addictive if one has a passion for it.

^that's fair, but it depends who you talk to. I used to play Guild Wars (I stopped because of exams, boredom, and my computer's limited resources) and thought it was excellent, but another fellow I was acquainted with said it was WoW Lite (which is pretty accurate by all accounts).

I've never played WoW myself - I may buy it one day and join a private server ($30 a month when I can play GW for free? No thanks, I'll either take my business elsewhere or exercise the right to private use I attained when I purchased the software) - but watching other people play it and talking to people's experiences with it, it's fine.

The subject matter is pure fantasy - about as evil as reading Lord of the Rings - and in regards to how one might react to it by spending more time playing it than they possibly should, that's simply a matter of self-control which that same person would probably be afflicted by watching the telly, reading books or playing golf. WoW isn't a special case: anything can be addictive if one has a passion for it.

My told me a true christian is not taken from faith by things like that
and its only fiction i cant understand how people get so uptight about games,movies and things harry potter being a good example

I'm not conservative at all when it comes to entertainment. If it doesn't distract you from your faith and isn't planting good things in your mind (i.e. has violence just to have violence) then turn it off. But if you enjoy it and it doesn't interfere, enjoy yourself!!

I play the Sims all the time which is very addicting but I make sure I'm not addicted.

Well, any game that contains witchcraft and sorcery is inherently evil to me. It's the same thing with the Harry Potter books. JK. Rowling herself has admitted to being involved in the Occult and Wicca - and the subtle underlying tones can be found throughout those books (read them as a youngster). As Christians we should just be very careful as to what we let inside us.

[video=youtube;Cx399dqzNj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx399dqzNj0[/video]

Good morning Ladies and gentlemen[smile].
Scandinavian27, I am curious, how is it that something like a game, story, or movie as you just describe can thus effect any person in a negative way if they are of sound mind and[in the case of a theist]secure in their chosen faith? After all, these are works of fiction/fantasy, and do not actually contain working spells or promote/proselytize for real Pagan faiths or the religion of Satanism. Any knowledgeable/experienced old witch/Wiccan/Pagan or Satanist who gets involved with such games and stories will tell you it's all unrealistic fantasy.
If you are secure in your faith and know what's real and what's fantasy, then where is the threat? I have a collection of Christian Bibles[17] and possess many other works on the subject of Christianity and it's related religions within my personal library, and if I can possess and read them throughout the years without any threat to my faith, then I don't understand why anyone else can't.
Your thoughts[smile]?

GM,

You as a nonbeliever are not accountable to the same Proclamations that we Christians are. With your knowledge of scripture, you must understand this much. We have to apply ourselves to such verses as Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

Personally, I don't believe that every Christian should stay away from games like this, and from what Scan said, it doesn't sound like that's what he's saying either. He said these games are inherently evil to him. At the end, he said all Christians should "just be very careful as to what we let inside us". Playing such a game doesn't necessarily mean we are "letting it inside us", but we should be careful not to allow this to happen.

A Christian always needs to pay attention to their spiritual welfare and refrain from something that s/he is personally led to stay away from. :yes

Good afternoon[smile].
In that case, I am all the happier that you have chosen to allow me to join your Forum[smile].

I have to look it up on another forum I go on to, but they had many occult references and ticks in the game. I have seen a few people I know lose houses, partners, savings, all to this game. An addiction is an addiction, whether it be to soda, games, cigarettes, whatever!

If you want to get technical the game is addicting very addicting. This in return takes time away from God and anything that takes time away from God is an idol aka evil.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back