Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Isaiah 53:11 on Biblegateway

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Would any of you be interested in doing a Bible study of Isaiah 53:11 on Google on Biblegateway and see which versions include the word "light" from the LXX (Septuagint), and which versions do not have the word "light". The ESV has the word light, but only as a footnote. The NIV has "the light of life". Take care. :nod

It is easier to see parallel versions on bible.cc than on Biblegateway (although you can do parallel versions in Biblegateway also), but bible.cc also has the accompanying Greek or Hebrew text (if you click on the tab up top). See Isaiah 53:11 here: Isaiah 53:11 (bible.cc). You could copy and paste all the versions on that page and hilight in red "the light of life" in the ones it appears in. If you are just looking for textual variants I can also check out my Dead Sea Scrolls Bible translation of the Isaiah Scroll when I get home. It notes variants between itself (the DSS reading) and the LXX & Masoretic text in footnotes.

God Bless,

~Josh

It is easier to see parallel versions on bible.cc than on Biblegateway (although you can do parallel versions in Biblegateway also), but bible.cc also has the accompanying Greek or Hebrew text (if you click on the tab up top). See Isaiah 53:11 here: Isaiah 53:11 (bible.cc). You could copy and paste all the versions on that page and hilight in red "the light of life" in the ones it appears in. If you are just looking for textual variants I can also check out my Dead Sea Scrolls Bible translation of the Isaiah Scroll when I get home. It notes variants between itself (the DSS reading) and the LXX & Masoretic text in footnotes.

God Bless,

Dear cyberjosh, Which version of Isa. 53:11 do you think is the Word of God. The MT (Masoretic Hebrew Text), the DSSB (Dead Sea Scrolls Bible) and the LXX Greek OT (Septuagint)? The Masoretic text differs from the older Bible of the DSS and the LXX Greek Old Testament. I believe the DSSB contains the Word of
God, as does the Greek OT. I would prefer the Greek OT to even the DSSB.
Some places in the DSS may not be accurate. We do not have the original Hebrew text, it has been lost to history. But the Septuagint Greek OT preserves the original, and I believe that has proved itself to be without error. And it is the text the GOC (Greek Orthodox Church) uses for the OT. We have the original NT preserved in about 5000 manuscripts, and these vary only slightly from each other. I believe the Constantinoplian (Byzantine) text, Majority text and Textus Receptus are virtually the same and are as close as we are going to get to the original NT text. There is no copy of the actually original NT available. But the GOC has many copies of the NT.

What do you think of this matter, cyberjosh? and, how do you decide what is in the Bible. Who decides? Have you seen the OSB (Orthodox Study Bible, copyright 2008, Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Bible, Fr. Jack N. Sparks, Ph.D., ed. St. Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology, Elk Grove, CA. .... In Erie Scott H.:nod
I would recommend you read the ONT Orthodox New Testament. It is a highly accurate version of the NT. It is available from Holy Apostles Convent and Dormition Skete, Buena Vista, CO. Copyright 2000. 2 Vols. Vol. 1, Gospels, Vol. 2, Acts, Epistles, and Revelation. Each volume is about 30.00 so the set sells for only about 60.00 which is cheaper than many Bibles. But I would also get the OSB Bible if I were you. I do not promote Bibles or versions of Christianity with people who may beg to disagree, and who have a theology different from mine in some way. Nobody can push their views on anybody else, as we all have free will, and people have to be granted the ability and responsibility of thinking for themselves. That doesn't mean all aren't called to believe the same content in their Christian Faith. God bless you. God bless America.

Oh wow, you didn't say this was going to turn into a broader discussion of textual criticism! I am very much interested in such discussions but this topic is larger than I have the time to discuss right now. :)

My own opinion having done some research on the matter is that the Masoretic and DSS Hebrew texts preserve authentic tradition of the original Hebrew text (with occasional corrections from the LXX) though obviously they diverge from one another and must be 'criticized' for redaction, scribal errors, and additions or subtractions from the text. The DSS actually agree in places with the Septuagint against the Masoretic text (which was a later text - but still remarkably does not differ enourmously from the DSS - which is why we celebrate that the DSS confirmed that God preserved his Word remarkably throughout generations). In some other cases using comparative methods to the LXX and even some early Latin manuscripts the Masoretic Text (or the LXX itself) is to be prefered to the DSS. However it is my opinion that the LXX is far from perfect and scholars have long pointed out that some books in the LXX are very literal translations while there are more than a handful which are very loose in their translation. I could perhaps get you a list of exactly which books are loosely or even "poorly" translated from the Hebrew. When we see a divergence of the LXX from the Masoretic text for example it often can be attributed to a Greek mistranslation, misinterpretation, or paraphrase of the Hebrew and not the other way around. Yes the LXX is valuable, but I do not trust it as a primary text and always prefer the Hebrew if it is available.

I personally trust the Hebrew text (taking into consideration the DSS) more than the Septuagint alone (for example in the LXX Jeremiah is 1/8 shorter than in the Masoretic text) although we can see more ancient forms of the text preserved in the LXX than in the Masoretic text on occasion, which however can only be judged largely by comparison to the DSS to see if they too have that older reading or manuscript tradition.

Wikipedia provides a convenient illustration of this, "Different Hebrew sources exist for the MT and the LXX. Evidence of this can be found throughout the Old Testament. Most obvious are major differences in Jeremiah and Job, where the LXX is much shorter and chapters appear in different order than in the MT, and Esther where almost one third of the verses in the LXX text have no parallel in the MT". (source)

However one example of a correction to the Masoretic text for a longer (more ancient) reading is the addition of 4 "missing" verses at the beginning of 1 Samuel 11 which give more historical details of the Ammonites opressing Israel (and why it provoked Saul to act) and the DSS have that longer account - the 4 extra verses (I'm not sure if the LXX does though or not). However once it was realized that this may have been an authentic and older manuscript tradition it was also noted that Josephus had already recorded those exact same events in their expanded/elongated form when recounting the story of Samuel in his Antiquities, thus those missing verses were preserved in Josephus even before the DSS were found.

That then brings me to a final point that other "smaller" or alternate sources can be used to check ancient manuscript and textual traditions including (for the Old Testament): The Samaritan Pentatuech, the Jewish Targums, Josephus, the two silver scrolls from Ketef Hinnom (having fragments of Deuteronomy), and some other Hebrew/Aramaic manuscripts found in Egypt; and (for the New Testament) Early Old Latin, Sryriac, Aramaic, and Coptic manuscripts and the writings of the Church Fathers. Enlisting help from works of other people such as Josephus and the Church Fathers is often overlooked, but they make many quotations of Scripture in their works that are of some value in piecing together the originals.

But I dare not say much more without launching this thread into pages of discussion. :biggrin Perhaps another thread is suited for this? I'm sure we already have some threads on textual criticism and manuscript traditions somewhere.

God Bless,

~Josh

Oh wow, you didn't say this was going to turn into a broader discussion of textual criticism! I am very much interested in such discussions but this topic is larger than I have the time to discuss right now. :)

My own opinion having done some research on the matter is that the Masoretic and DSS Hebrew texts preserve authentic tradition of the original Hebrew text (with occasional corrections from the LXX) though obviously they diverge from one another and must be 'criticized' for redaction, scribal errors, and additions or subtractions from the text. The DSS actually agree in places with the Septuagint against the Masoretic text (which was a later text - but still remarkably does not differ enourmously from the DSS - which is why we celebrate that the DSS confirmed that God preserved his Word remarkably throughout generations). In some other cases using comparative methods to the LXX and even some early Latin manuscripts the Masoretic Text (or the LXX itself) is to be prefered to the DSS. However it is my opinion that the LXX is far from perfect and scholars have long pointed out that some books in the LXX are very literal translations while there are more than a handful which are very loose in their translation. I could perhaps get you a list of exactly which books are loosely or even "poorly" translated from the Hebrew. When we see a divergence of the LXX from the Masoretic text for example it often can be attributed to a Greek mistranslation, misinterpretation, or paraphrase of the Hebrew and not the other way around. Yes the LXX is valuable, but I do not trust it as a primary text and always prefer the Hebrew if it is available.

I personally trust the Hebrew text (taking into consideration the DSS) more than the Septuagint alone (for example in the LXX Jeremiah is 1/8 shorter than in the Masoretic text) although we can see more ancient forms of the text preserved in the LXX than in the Masoretic text on occasion, which however can only be judged largely by comparison to the DSS to see if they too have that older reading or manuscript tradition.

Wikipedia provides a convenient illustration of this, "Different Hebrew sources exist for the MT and the LXX. Evidence of this can be found throughout the Old Testament. Most obvious are major differences in Jeremiah and Job, where the LXX is much shorter and chapters appear in different order than in the MT, and Esther where almost one third of the verses in the LXX text have no parallel in the MT". (source)

However one example of a correction to the Masoretic text for a longer (more ancient) reading is the addition of 4 "missing" verses at the beginning of 1 Samuel 11 which give more historical details of the Ammonites opressing Israel (and why it provoked Saul to act) and the DSS have that longer account - the 4 extra verses (I'm not sure if the LXX does though or not). However once it was realized that this may have been an authentic and older manuscript tradition it was also noted that Josephus had already recorded those exact same events in their expanded/elongated form when recounting the story of Samuel in his Antiquities, thus those missing verses were preserved in Josephus even before the DSS were found.

That then brings me to a final point that other "smaller" or alternate sources can be used to check ancient manuscript and textual traditions including (for the Old Testament): The Samaritan Pentatuech, the Jewish Targums, Josephus, the two silver scrolls from Ketef Hinnom (having fragments of Deuteronomy), and some other Hebrew/Aramaic manuscripts found in Egypt; and (for the New Testament) Early Old Latin, Sryriac, Aramaic, and Coptic manuscripts and the writings of the Church Fathers. Enlisting help from works of other people such as Josephus and the Church Fathers is often overlooked, but they make many quotations of Scripture in their works that are of some value in piecing together the originals.

But I dare not say much more without launching this thread into pages of discussion. :biggrin Perhaps another thread is suited for this? I'm sure we already have some threads on textual criticism and manuscript traditions somewhere.

God Bless,

~Josh
Dear Josh, You are very much more well-educated on this matter of Bible versions between the OT MT and the OT LXX Greek and DSSB, etc.
Perhaps you could read the OSB some time. If you read the extra books, which are not really extra books, but books which HISTORICALLY were ALWAYS IN THE BIBLE that the Greek Church used, you could read Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, the additions to Daniel. The rest of Daniel is very interesting, Josh, especially the tradition of Daniel IN THE LION'S DEN. I knew that story as a child from the children's Bible my mother read to me. That is not in the Hebrew MT, but only in the Greek OT Bible. In Erie Scott H.
:pray:nod

Dear Josh, You are very much more well-educated on this matter of Bible versions between the OT MT and the OT LXX Greek and DSSB, etc.
Perhaps you could read the OSB some time. If you read the extra books, which are not really extra books, but books which HISTORICALLY were ALWAYS IN THE BIBLE that the Greek Church used, you could read Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, the additions to Daniel. The rest of Daniel is very interesting, Josh, especially the tradition of Daniel IN THE LION'S DEN. I knew that story as a child from the children's Bible my mother read to me. That is not in the Hebrew MT, but only in the Greek OT Bible. In Erie Scott H.
:pray:nod

I will check out the OSB. I had never heard of it before. And I am familiar in a cursory fashion with the "extra books" (also called the Apocrypha) you mention. I've read portions of Tobit, Maccabees, Ben Sirah, and the extra 3 chapters to Daniel. However, you may be confused, but the story of Daniel and the Lions Den is in all Bibles (whether Protestant, Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox) and certainly is in the Masoretic text. I grew up with it too, and I do love the story! :) Most kids who grow up in Baptist Churches (describes my background) haven't gone without at least having heard the story of Daniel in the Lion's Den a couple times in Sunday School. The outcome of what happened to the officials who schemed to set Daniel up to be thrown in the Lion's Den though will put the fear of God in you. :o There are some very good lessons in that story.

God Bless,

~Josh

As for my original promise to give you the reading from my Dead Dea Scrolls Bible translation I will reproduce the verse as follows (numbers in parentheses will be the footnote references and italics are where portions differ from the Masoretic text):

--------------------

"Out of the suffering of his soul he will see light (1178), and (1179) find satisfaction. And (1180) through his knowledge his servant(1181), the righteous one, will make many righteous, and he will bear their iniquities." (Isaiah 53:11 DSS).

#1178. 1QIsa(a), 1QIsa(b), 4QIsa(d), LXX. He will see some of the suffering of his soul MT.

#1179. 1QIsa(a), 4QIsa(d) (questionable). Not in the MT.

#1180. 1QIsa(a). Not in 4QIsa(d) or MT.

#1181. 1QIsa(a). my servant 4QIsa(d) and MT.

Source: The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible: The Oldest Known Bible Translated for the First Time into English. Martin G. Abegg, Peter W. Flint, Eugene Charles Ulrich. 1999.

--------------------

Isaiah is THE most attested manuscript among the Dead Sea Scrolls and there are more copies and "more complete" copies of Isaiah than any other book. The Great Isaiah Scroll now displayed in Israel's "Shrine of the Book" building is a great example of the preservation of Isaiah.

There are three primary texts/scrolls/manuscripts for Isaiah in the DSS labeled: 1QIsa(a), 1QIsa(b), and 4QIsa(d).

So for note #1178 we see that all three (1QIsa(a), 1QIsa(b), 4QIsa(d)) and the LXX read, "Out of the suffering of his soul he will see light", instead of the MT (Masoretic Text's) reading, "He will see some of the suffering of his soul". Therefore that is very likely the most authentic reading. The NIV reading is close to this.

Notes #1179 and #1180 show the inclusion of two words "and" in the Hebrew which do not show up in the Masoretic Text. Those variants are found mostly in Isaiah scroll 1QIsa(a).

And note #1181 shows a minor but interesting variant of "his servant" rather than "my servant".

The DSS sometimes have superior readings but sometimes I think the "later" Masoretic text is actually more correct (due to different manuscript traditions).

So the conculsion from this manuscript evidence is that the passage in Isaiah 53:11 most likely included the word "light" (but not "of life" - wherever that came from?). The NASB does not include the word "light" but the NIV does, so in this case (as much as I grudge & hate to prefer the NIV over the NASB) I would say the NIV has the manuscript tradition in its favor.

God Bless,

~Josh

Would any of you be interested in doing a Bible study of Isaiah 53:11 on Google on Biblegateway and see which versions include the word "light" from the LXX (Septuagint), and which versions do not have the word "light". The ESV has the word light, but only as a footnote. The NIV has "the light of life". Take care. :nod

Hi, do not take anything said to be personal ok? I have been around for quite a spell and had ran into 'Bible Study' on WORDS before. Years ago, 'i' found it mostly a huge waste of the Lord's time. (my time)

Isa. is one of my favorite books of INSPIRATION. Did you see the difference between the mans 'penned word' Isa. & the Book as Inspiration? In othere words for me personally, I see the man using his own uninspired word to describe THE INSPIRATION.

Case in point: Isa. uses his words of '.. and drink their own piss with you?' in defining the Inspiration. (Isa. 36:12)
And does one think that these words of defining this Inspiration seen, are the Exact Words of the Godhead? I do not think so. And the Bible has many such words used. Heb. 12:8 even uses bastards that some sites even block out! And the four of what are called Gospels have different pennman telling of the same INSPIRED MOVING'S upon them, but in their own wordings. That is why we see four books of the same 'TESTIMONY' yet all being different. (as I see it)

No. God's Words need to be understood as Christ tell's us in Matt. 4:4 (First) and in 2 Tim. 3:16's 'Inspired' words also. Yet we see Both AGREEING with Isa.'s 'pen'! (of Isa. 28 below) Even with these penned words, when the above Truths are not used by Christ & the Inspired word of Timothy, most are dead in their tracks as to any understanding correctly what Isa. was saying!;)

[5] In that day shall the LORD of hosts be for a crown of glory, and for a diadem of beauty, unto the residue of his people, (see Rev. 12:17)

[6] And for a spirit of judgment to him that sitteth in judgment, and for strength to them that turn the battle to the gate.

[7] But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.

(And what kind of satan's false doctrinal fermented wine had these ones of Rev. 17:1-5 who are all prophesied as the abomination of the earth been learning from if not these of Jer. 17:5!??)

[8] For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.

(And VOMIT?
OK: Now pay apt attention for how Isiah 'penned' for us to know truth. And if any forgot Matt. 4:4 + 2 Tim. 3:16? they best start with this Eternal Gospel instead of only one man's 'TESTIMONY' of what he was Inspired to pen in his own words. In other words Isa. will tell the exact Truth in bottom/line as the above words REQUIRE! and not only one word)

[9] Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand [[doctrine?]] them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

(and surely the Book of Heb. 5 & 6 + Timothy 'Penned word of DOCTRINE' comes to mind, even to most?)

[10] For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

[11] For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
[12] To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

[13] But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

[14] Wherefore hear the word of the LORD, ye scornful men, that rule this people which is in Jerusalem.

Anyway: This is the way that 'i' study my Masters 'Inspired' Words. I have given up the worlds way of study years ago. And constantly over the years it appears to me that satan has his way mostly in this 'worldly' setup. Perhaps our childhood playes a part in this as well? Dad was from a rich family & mom was from a poor family of 13, and unequally yoked?? Anyway, 'i' was caught up in this;)!

And to be honest with all, I find that the most worldly of the educated ones of today to be SNOBS! And No. that is not what education is to be all about! But to spend God's TIME of hours & hours on one word is called EDUCATION??? Sorry, but 'i' can NEVER BUY INTO THAT! (again, this has nothing personal meant)

--Elijah

Well, it seems it is my day to agree with CyberJosh!
(Just agreed with him in another thread).

I don't think one can legitimately place one set of writings over another (such as LXX vs. MT).
Gonna have to examine each verse individually of every text available to make a informed educated conclusion.

For instance:
If one relies solely on the LXX, and discards the MT, then you are left with a grave dilemma.
Because the LXX has Methuseleh living 14 years AFTER the flood!!!

The Greek Septuagint (LXX) says Methuselah was 167 years old at the birth of his son, Lamech.

It also says that Lamech was 188 years old at the birth of his son, Noah.

It also says Noah was 600 years old at the time of the flood.

That means that Lamech was born 788 years before the flood.
600 (the age of Noah when the flood happened)
+
188 (the age of Lamech when Noah was born)
=

From 788 we add how old Methuselah was at Lamech’s birth.
(788 + 167 = 955).
So, Methuselah was born 955 years before the flood.

But it also says that Methuselah lived 969 years.
That's 14 years AFTER the flood!!!!

In this case, one needs to use the Masoretic Text (MT), which does not have this glaring problem.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back