Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Isn't It About Time Somebody Makes a Christian Game?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hey,

Well anything can be done, its just that creative and talented people usually leave church and use their talents for wrong or for self glory. I dont think their would be a huge market for a christian video game therefore what major video game company would produce it. But if something had to be done I would make a video game based on the rapture; that would be pretty exciting. You could go around hiding and gathering others. To beat the game you would have to defeat the beast with your double edged sword.

Or you could do a video game like sims and make your character go to church and grow spiritually by praying and fellowshipping. To make the game realistic and to reach a bigger audience you could have the character endure temptation and give the player the option of doing wrong just like in real life. That would be a good concept.

peace

XianGothDude said:
But, this is about GAMING! lulz. I'll incorporate my theories elsewhere.
I tend to make my own RPGs with RPGMaker 2000. I can do whatever I want with that program, and I often find myself writing in Christian undertones and abilities based on Faith and Constitution.

As a gamer, a fan of RPGs and a Christian; I do not like heavy-handed approaches to present the faith in a game; it comes off way too preachy and no doubt, totally undermines any attempts at crafting a good story; however when undertones and other subtle storytelling themes are used to present faith; they can typically come across very powerful and convicting at times. I'll give you all an example; a PC game from 2000 which was based on a very popular (and still popular despite now have a reimagined gameline), pen & paper role-playing game; Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. You assume the role of Christof Romuald, a crusader in 12th Century Prague, during a battle he is wounded and is taken up for recovery at the local nunnery in the town, by nightfall creatures attack the nunnery (long story short, they're creatures of one of the more monstrous vampire clans; Christof the next day sets off toe vanquish the creatures and their vampire creator, he does but in doing so earns the ire of the residual clans' numbers). His deed also does not go unnoticed by the other clans of vampires either, he is "embraced" (transformed) into a vampire for clan "Brujah", Christof at first despairs at his new existence as a vampire who was once a noble crusader for God. The game (when not being a dungeon crawler) deals heavily with the themes of faith, damnation, redemption, love, commitment; characters along the way are fleshed out and discuss these things with Christof. Although its not a Christian game by any means; the fact that these themes are talked about (and not mocked) but actually clearly given thought, to me these are what make a good game.

first off, the "Faith and Constitution" are stats that your abilities are based off of.
and as for your review of that other game...wow. I'll say, I have to agree. What system is this game for? I am intrigued.

azlan88 said:
I picked up a Left Behind game for the PC. It might be good, and it might be bad, but the creators want our feedback. It's called Left Behind Tribulation Forces, and it's an RTS. Have you guys heard of it?

This...is an atrocity for the Christian universe of gaming (gee...what a shock). I'll agree with Xian here and say that this attempt proved more harmful than good. Back in the 80s (and even for some today), there was a fine line between ultra-conservatism and legalism. This game is a product of post-late 80s mindset on how things should be done in movies and presentations of Christian ideas, which basically entails how Christians are totally better off than everyone else and how much more of a better life we live than the rest of the world, and why we'll prosper and they'll, well...not prosper. Left Behind was a great series as books, but they should have left them alone. The movies were terrible, and making a game with that "Only the message matters" attitude pretty much destroyed anyone's credibility in making anything else, including Kirk Cameron.

...as you can tell..I'm a little bitter. lol

Actually I agree. The quality of Christian games are so low, I do not know whether I should consider them videogames, or sunday school activities. I mean, We as christians truly believe that everything christian should be boring, trivia based. I believe a good story/plot and heavily christian themed system would make a good game. I don't want to rant, but how about this: An RPG where the main character sees a vision of Satan destroying Jerusalem. This is but a vision, so he has no idea what is going on. So he goes on with his life, goes to the supermarket, and low and behold, a masked man shoots and kills a few people in the parking lot. The protagonist moves out of the clearing, but checks to see what happens. The man drops a package on the ground which reads: Please open. So he opens it and a message pops up saying "some vision. Right, kid?" The protagonist is unawares as to what is happening around him, but God has given him a gift. This freaks him out; when he arrives home he finds multiple death messages on his laptop. His sign in name implies he is indeed a christian. A message in his inbox tells him somethng else, something disturbing " You're the key. I have to kill you". As he closes the message a barricade of police are about to move in on his home. A young woman, wearing all white appears behind him and takes him by the hand. The two are "thrown" out of his apartment window. She tells him he is a key and must find the lock, which is in Jerusalem. He must go to Jerusalem.... Or something like that. My story telling could use some work..but I'd like to see a game like that.

It could be for xbox 360, have excellent graphics, allows use of weapons ( the protagonist has to be able to defend himself from those who plan to kill him). He finds scriptures in various places, which certain words are used in puzzles later in the game.

Ok, I'm done. Just saying, that could be a good game. Alas.

My apologies if someone has already brought this up:
Does anyone one remember the Christian Yu-Gi-Oh alternative, Redemption?
When I was younger, my little brother and I got it. I can't really tell you if it was any fun or not, because no one else ever had a deck, lol :).

My apologies if someone has already brought this up:
Does anyone one remember the Christian Yu-Gi-Oh alternative, Redemption?
When I was younger, my little brother and I got it. I can't really tell you if it was any fun or not, because no one else ever had a deck, lol :).

I think they have a pc game adaptation. I saw it in my local christian bookstore. I, too, do not know how it plays :sad

Davidlionheart said:
I could totally see a samson adventure game, i mean wrestle a lion and fight 1000 men with a donkeys jawbone. How others fights in the bible. You could probably make a Joseph/David real time strategy game, where you create an army and defend your city. Of course sticking to the Bible for storyline. In my opinion it can be done, you just gotta make it fun.

That would be so cool! Actually an RPG...Ok I admit, I really like RPG's. I hear Rebel Planet is creating an RPG based upon the earth before the flood - it's Rebel Planet Orion.

Carpathian said:
Actually I agree. The quality of Christian games are so low, I do not know whether I should consider them videogames, or sunday school activities. I mean, We as christians truly believe that everything christian should be boring, trivia based. I believe a good story/plot and heavily christian themed system would make a good game. I don't want to rant, but how about this: An RPG where the main character sees a vision of Satan destroying Jerusalem. This is but a vision, so he has no idea what is going on. So he goes on with his life, goes to the supermarket, and low and behold, a masked man shoots and kills a few people in the parking lot. The protagonist moves out of the clearing, but checks to see what happens. The man drops a package on the ground which reads: Please open. So he opens it and a message pops up saying "some vision. Right, kid?" The protagonist is unawares as to what is happening around him, but God has given him a gift. This freaks him out; when he arrives home he finds multiple death messages on his laptop. His sign in name implies he is indeed a christian. A message in his inbox tells him somethng else, something disturbing " You're the key. I have to kill you". As he closes the message a barricade of police are about to move in on his home. A young woman, wearing all white appears behind him and takes him by the hand. The two are "thrown" out of his apartment window. She tells him he is a key and must find the lock, which is in Jerusalem. He must go to Jerusalem.... Or something like that. My story telling could use some work..but I'd like to see a game like that.

It could be for xbox 360, have excellent graphics, allows use of weapons ( the protagonist has to be able to defend himself from those who plan to kill him). He finds scriptures in various places, which certain words are used in puzzles later in the game.

Ok, I'm done. Just saying, that could be a good game. Alas.

Hey, Carp, you should look on page 2 or 3 of this post and see my idea for a game I've been wanting to do. Tell me what you think, eh?

GrayJedi_Lightshade said:
interesting idea. I've got a somewhat similar idea, but not close enough to say it's the exact same.

I'm working/writing for a movie series idea that will eventually be developed into a video game.
It's called Before the Fall. It's about how Satan turned away from God, got 1/3 of the entire angelic population to turn away, and the war that ensues. The series ends with a scene of Adam and Eve walking up to the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil - fade out, credits roll.

After that first series is done, I'm wanting to do a second series, and this one will probably be a mini-series that you'll see on the silver screen. It's about spiritual warfare, and the battles that angels and demons have over us. For the video game of this series, you will NEVER play a demon/fallen angel. Any angel you play as, you are assigned a human to protect and guide. You fight for windows to be opened that they might receive God's truth. The demons try and thwart this.

In order for you to proceed further in the game, there are barriers you must cross by solving puzzles or riddles. And to solve these puzzles and riddles, you MUST use either one of two things. A Bible, or a Strong's Concordance.

Each angel and demon, as a part of their character, are given control over certain elements. (i.e. fire, wind, water, light, shadow, dream/spirit, so on and so forth) Gameplay style will be VERY similar to Devil May Cry and maybe God of War.

...sound fun?
That actually sounds really interesting. I downloaded rpg maker, but it's doing garbage on me so I'll download it again. I really hope you start that. Try downloading game maker and tell me how it is :) I smell a collaboration :biglol :amen

Hey, Doughboy. We just spent the last four or five pages BASHING these games that were advertised on that site. 99% of those games are a disgrace, which is why we are wanting something better that much more.

Carpathian said:
That actually sounds really interesting. I downloaded rpg maker, but it's doing garbage on me so I'll download it again. I really hope you start that. Try downloading game maker and tell me how it is :) I smell a collaboration :biglol :amen

I already have character concept designers and artists. ;) Where do you live?

Hey, Doughboy. We just spent the last four or five pages BASHING these games that were advertised on that site. 99% of those games are a disgrace, which is why we are wanting something better that much more.

Carpathian said:

I already have character concept designers and artists. ;) Where do you live?
Alas I am among the Islands of the Bahamas, but I still can provide ideas :) If only this rpg maker would work!

Oh, you meant with RPG Maker. Well, I could use that for rough drafting my story concept idea into something basic, but like I said before, my gameplay style will be very much like Kingdom Hearts/DMC/God of War-ish. Full 3D rendering, battle combo system, EXP rank/level ups...the whole nine yards. The puzzles and barrier points will be handled similarly to Final Fantasy games. (FFX comes to mind)

Much like Kingdom Hearts and other FF games, the final boss in my game will be pretty difficult, yes...but the sidequests offer much more challenging conflicts. For example, you end up fighting Satan's shadow at one point. It can teleport almost anywhere, and the best way to hit it is to counter/parry an attack, leaving it's guard open...and this is no easy task. Kind of like Sephiroth floating up to cast Sin Harvest/Heartless Angel. If you don't catch him before he casts it....you're nearly screwed. Same concept.

But RPG Maker allows me to at least put something down on paper. I already have two or three other artists willing to put in ideas and concepts for demons and other angels. My demons/fallen angels will most likely be gods and Titans in Greek mythology. Story goes, they accept Satan's proposal to turn away from God because he promises them a state of "godhood" themselves later. Well, more or less, he delivered. Poseidon controls water, Haephestus controls fire, Apollo controls light, and Venus....is a whore. A gorgeous one...but a whore nonetheless. When you defeat her, she withers away into this ugly old looking wench (her true identity).

That last one, with Venus, I JUST thought of. So, as you can see, I'm still improvising on ideas. The Lord is still speaking to me, and I can't wait to go to Liberty University to expand my crew and ideas.

Oh, you meant with RPG Maker. Well, I could use that for rough drafting my story concept idea into something basic, but like I said before, my gameplay style will be very much like Kingdom Hearts/DMC/God of War-ish. Full 3D rendering, battle combo system, EXP rank/level ups...the whole nine yards. The puzzles and barrier points will be handled similarly to Final Fantasy games. (FFX comes to mind)

Much like Kingdom Hearts and other FF games, the final boss in my game will be pretty difficult, yes...but the sidequests offer much more challenging conflicts. For example, you end up fighting Satan's shadow at one point. It can teleport almost anywhere, and the best way to hit it is to counter/parry an attack, leaving it's guard open...and this is no easy task. Kind of like Sephiroth floating up to cast Sin Harvest/Heartless Angel. If you don't catch him before he casts it....you're nearly screwed. Same concept.

But RPG Maker allows me to at least put something down on paper. I already have two or three other artists willing to put in ideas and concepts for demons and other angels. My demons/fallen angels will most likely be gods and Titans in Greek mythology. Story goes, they accept Satan's proposal to turn away from God because he promises them a state of "godhood" themselves later. Well, more or less, he delivered. Poseidon controls water, Haephestus controls fire, Apollo controls light, and Venus....is a whore. A gorgeous one...but a whore nonetheless. When you defeat her, she withers away into this ugly old looking wench (her true identity).

That last one, with Venus, I JUST thought of. So, as you can see, I'm still improvising on ideas. The Lord is still speaking to me, and I can't wait to go to Liberty University to expand my crew and ideas.
I am really hoping you do this. You could be the catalyst which drives developers to actually work on GOOD christian video games. I'm currently writing a story about a vampire who wants to seek Christ. He wants to stop being a vampire. The story deals with self acceptance, sin and temptation, and our responses to good and evil. I've already finished chapter 1's draft. I really hope you create this game. Make it on rpg Maker, first, though. Only prob I'm having with that is, I can't find an activation code

I played a couple of those so as Bible Adventures for the NES and it was a cool game

Carpathian said:
I am really hoping you do this. You could be the catalyst which drives developers to actually work on GOOD christian video games. I'm currently writing a story about a vampire who wants to seek Christ. He wants to stop being a vampire. The story deals with self acceptance, sin and temptation, and our responses to good and evil. I've already finished chapter 1's draft. I really hope you create this game. Make it on rpg Maker, first, though. Only prob I'm having with that is, I can't find an activation code

..you should see what I have written out for Satan's transformation scene from angel to dragon. ...It's actually quite gross and gory, but viciously cool, nonetheless.

Carpathian said:

..you should see what I have written out for Satan's transformation scene from angel to dragon. ...It's actually quite gross and gory, but viciously cool, nonetheless.
Send me a copy then. I could send you the first chapter for this story.

I never really gave much thought after I saw early footage of Dante's Inferno (which was last year or so), and I had read the poem/book I liked it, alot; I even thought what an awesome game it would make (provided of course that the character of Dante change from a swooning, fainting scardy cat).

Ironically when the game did just that! I pretty much said no; but after seeing this video, I can't believe there's such a clear as crystal presentation of evil and a hero that does not use occultic means to do battle against him/it, provided the scythe is from I think Death but hey, a guy's gotta have some sort of defense against the legions of hell.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not a person who would not play a game (or watch a movie) simply because they depict magic in it, there's a big difference between fantasy magic (flinging fireballs, ice balls and other such elemental or fantastical spells around), ie the force of magic is depicted as a naturally occuring phenomenon; much like any other force of nature.

Versus a hero that partakes in real-world inspired occultic learning and/or philosophy to battle; one pen and paper game springs to mind, Mage: The Ascension and its successor Mage: The Awakening, these pen and paper RPGs incorporate real life occult philosophy into their game; and takes a STRONG Gnostic bent on how the world really is; in example, the characters are "mages" or "will workers" who have become "awake" to the real and true world as it is (that they can enact their will and desire open reality itself to bend and shape it as they see fit, ie "magic"), Magic to the masses that is, but the way things work in "reality" to mages, metaphysical stuff, that is a occultic; also, "mana" is not the stuff of magic in this RPG, "gnosis" is aka knowing or knowledge.

So yes, there are actual occultic inspired games, but very few I'm aware of (many conservative Christians seem to equate, fantastic or fantasy magic as "occult" magic when they themselves really have little to know idea what the occult actual is).

:biggrin Very cool! I wanna play!

Back