Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Japanese Thread!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is kind of funny. A CSI expert detective spends half the episode trying to decipher mysterious Japanese characters. It just says CAT (ネコ) in basic Japanese script (katakana)!! A first grade student could read it. (It's a little odd to see it in katakana vs. hiragana, and the sizing is a little off, but still!)

Last edited:
Yes, Nippon is the formal name. You will more often see the more informal "Nihon". For example, the word for language is "go". So the Japanese word for Japanese (language) is "Nihongo".

Yes, Nippon is the formal name. You will more often see the more informal "Nihon". For example, the word for language is "go". So the Japanese word for Japanese (language) is "Nihongo".
I have seen both nihon an Nippon on parts. Nippondenso. is a parts maker

Yep, Nippon Denso (now renamed just Denso) is a famous maker of automotive electrical components. "Densou" actually means electrical components.

Yep, Nippon Denso (now renamed just Denso) is a famous maker of automotive electrical components. "Densou" actually means electrical components.
nihon 1,nihon 2, nihon 3. lol a pre kata before pinan, or henian niDan. never saw that before.

I had just the 5 Heian kata (Japan Karate Association).
Nihon one two and three are in shotokan.but some schools remove those. I was learning those as a black belt.

Rant of mine.one must understand Kata when working on car from Japan.

日本 = Japan. In Japanese, these characters are read "Nihon". In the original Chinese, they are read "jhe-ben", from whence we get "Japan".

日 A pictogram of the sun.
本 The symbol for origin or source.

From the Asian mainland, the sun rises from an island-nation directly to the east. Japan is the "Land of the Rising Sun". Why the Japanese flag features a red sun...

flag-japan-waving-sky-background-49506970.jpg

Last edited:
In my book "Okagesama de" means "Im fine" (polite) Where as Genki desu mean "I'm fine" (neutral)

Often books translate stock phrases according to how it would be used in English, and not necessarily the literal translation. That's why it is so tricky translating Asian languages to European-based language. "Okagesama de" can be translated as "I'm fine" or "Thanks to you" because that's how it would be used in English. The literal meaning is more like "under the gods' shadow".

"Genki desu ka" is usually translated as How are you, but it literally means "Are you healthy?" (That's why I gave a slanted answer, as I can't really claim to be that healthy).

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back