Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Jesus is God

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Gendou Ikari said:
Jesus is God, I've doubted this for a while but I am now sure that JESUS IS GOD. Praise the name of the Lord. :-D

However, I do believe that Jesus is a created being and is not co-eternal with the Father. For you AV I'll give the King James translation and because it really portrays the verse well. :)

Revelation 3:14 (King James Version) And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen[Jesus], the faithful and true witness[also Jesus], the beginning of the creation of God;[This is Jesus too]
Amen Gendou. God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ are not one and the same in any manner except that they are one in mind and purpose.

When Christ said that He prayed that we could be one with the Father the same as He is one with the Father, did He mean that we would become the Father? No.

He meant that we could become joined together and be part of the divine plan for all of eternity.

AVBunyan said:
A created being cannot be God - If Jesus was not God manifested in the flesh we are all on our way to hell with no hope (Acts. 20:28).

God bless
Show me where it says in the Bible that you must believe Jesus to be God in order to be saved.

No, we are not on our way to hell without hope. Some may be purged and it may be a painful process and it may be as if through the fires of God's holiness, but we are not on our way to hell.

Jesus is the Messiah and the Savior of the World, but He is not God the Father.

Imagican: More of mans talk. :sad Seriously, that is what [your post] was. If any one here is to 'see' something of value, :fadein: surely it needs more than 'your posts' talk.
---John

Georges said:
wavy said:
AVBunyan said:
Free said:
1. Do you believe in an "age of accountability" AV?
2.Why or why not?
1. No
2. Can't find it in scripture

God bless

How do you view this then?

Deuteronomy 1:39
Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it.

Wavy, I wish you would quit posting OT scripture....after all, the OT is moot....please show me anywhere between Acts and Revelation where it makes such claims.
The Old Testament is "moot?"

Not hardly.

Jesus came to fulfill not to do away with. In fact, NOT ONE JOT NOR TITTLE will pass away.

Jesus came that the law could be met through Him. It still does not take away from the truth of that Book. It does not make any of it's teachings any less valid or true. While some of it was clearly meant for the Isrealites, such scriptures as was quoted are clearly a valid teaching.

Don't think that because Jesus came that we are not under any obligation. That is not the meaning of grace and God's words stand.

Lyric's Dad said:
....When Christ said that He prayed that we could be one with the Father the same as He is one with the Father, did He mean that we would become the Father? No.

He meant that we could become joined together and be part of the divine plan for all of eternity.

Again, Lyric's Dad is promoting Mormon teachings.

• (1) After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god, (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pages 345-347, 354.)

(2) "Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them," (DC 132:20).

Source: -here-

:o

Gary said:
Lyric's Dad said:
....When Christ said that He prayed that we could be one with the Father the same as He is one with the Father, did He mean that we would become the Father? No.

Again, Lyric's Dad is promoting Mormon teachings.

• (1) After you become a good Mormon, you have the potential of becoming a god, (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pages 345-347, 354.)

(2) "Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them," (DC 132:20).

Source: -here-

:o
My quote and your stretch are certainly not the same. Nice try though.... :roll:

Romans 10:9 "because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Phil. 2:11, "and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

As I stated previously, a case can be made that one must believe that Jesus is God in order to be saved. The word used for "Lord" in the above verses is kurios, which can have several different meanings. However, it is very important to note that it is also used in place of the Hebrew 'adonay when the OT is quoted in the NT. 'Adonay appears in the OT as "LORD," the name of God.

So while the confession in the verses above is one of confessing Jesus as master of one's life, it is also a confession that he is God. As Rom. 10:9 shows, this confession is essential for salvation. If Jesus isn't God, then there is no salvation.

Gendou said:
Jesus is God, I've doubted this for a while but I am now sure that JESUS IS GOD. Praise the name of the Lord.

However, I do believe that Jesus is a created being and is not co-eternal with the Father.
As has been pointed out, a created being cannot be God. That is a philosophical and theological impossibility.

wavy said:
How do you view this then?

Deuteronomy 1:39
Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it.
Though they did not have knowledge they were still born dead in trepasses and sins - two different things here - they were born in Adam - in sin - they are born fallen - therefore - Rom. 6:23

Free said:
Romans 10:9 "because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Phil. 2:11, "and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

As I stated previously, a case can be made that one must believe that Jesus is God in order to be saved. The word used for "Lord" in the above verses is kurios, which can have several different meanings. However, it is very important to note that it is also used in place of the Hebrew 'adonay when the OT is quoted in the NT. 'Adonay appears in the OT as "LORD," the name of God.

So while the confession in the verses above is one of confessing Jesus as master of one's life, it is also a confession that he is God. As Rom. 10:9 shows, this confession is essential for salvation. If Jesus isn't God, then there is no salvation.

Gendou said:
Jesus is God, I've doubted this for a while but I am now sure that JESUS IS GOD. Praise the name of the Lord.

However, I do believe that Jesus is a created being and is not co-eternal with the Father.
As has been pointed out, a created being cannot be God. That is a philosophical and theological impossibility.

A created being could most definitely be The Son of God though.

I am still confused as to how you convince yourself that God died on the cross. Adam the 'first man', sinned. The punishment for that sin was death. Death of 'man'. Now, to what purpose would it serve for God to die in our place when He was the one that 'made' the punishment. If Christ, born in the flesh, was incapable of living 'as a man' without sinning, why wouldn't God have simply 'changed' the rules? Christ did overcome sin, in the flesh, therefore making Him an unblemished sacrifice. As God commanded Abraham to offer his son as a sign of obedience, how could He have offered any less in return? And if it was God that was crucified, why would Christ have asked that 'this cup pass over me'? And, it is quite obvious, from the mouth of Christ Himself, that at one point on the cross, EVEN the SPIRIT of God LEFT HIM.

Revelation 3:14

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

I take it that you don't see this as a statement confessing that Christ was the 'first' of God's creation? Another no, and double no? Now who is picking and selecting what they choose to 'believe' and disregarding that which doesn't agree with their theology?

You guys are kinda funny. You attack one statement that I make yet ignore the three questions that I asked. I am game to understand ANYTHING that God has offered through His Word. If you have answers to these questions that could offer insight into the 'truth'. thereby helping this 'lost soul', (according to your definition of what 'must' be KNOWN to be saved), gain his Salvation, please, by all means, fire away.

I know, I know, these aren't easy ones to answer huh?

Guys, you know that much of the OT was nothing more than a precursor describing symbolically the coming of Messiah. Blood of the Lamb used in Egypt, Jonah and the whale, the examples are numerous. Do you 'not' see the significance of Abraham and Isaac? God commanding Abraham to sacrifice his son is clearly a 'hint' of that to come, Jesus Christ. Abraham was 'true' to God. Could God 'not' be true to Abraham? We have the example of 'total' love offered by Abraham, could God BE love and offer any less? "The only begotten OF God, not: the only begotten God.

And why is it so hard to accept Christ as God's Son? I can think of ONLY one reason. Do you know what this reason is? These are the words of God, Christ and the apostles themselves. Why is it SO hard to accept what we have been given? I know the answer to these questions.

Who in the Revelation 17:5 group would agree on 'this thread' here? Or is this some kind of Tower of Babylonian UNITY of no unity??
Can not the Holy Spirit 'LEAD' us?? Why not?

Let me make a prediction? I suggest that we have, or will see some here either censored out, or just flat out removed or warned. Yet, this seems to even being going on with the mod's not agreeing? So.. are we going to see a 'falling away of mods'? :wink:

---John

PS: But that will not (if it comes to that) make the ones zapped, feel better, will it? :sad :crying: Or has God made a mistake in Ecclesiastes 3:15? Interesting!!

You guys are kinda funny. You attack one statement that I make yet ignore the three questions that I asked. I am game to understand ANYTHING that God has offered through His Word. If you have answers to these questions that could offer insight into the 'truth'. thereby helping this 'lost soul', (according to your definition of what 'must' be KNOWN to be saved), gain his Salvation, please, by all means, fire away.

I know, I know, these aren't easy ones to answer huh?

_______
John here:
Why not go to Proverbs 8:22-30 in the K.J. and explain the verses? :wink:
But, it is the whole of the entire chapter that must be understood for who God Christ was [planed beforhand to become!] Romans 4:17 is another magnified understand verse. (again in the K.J.)

Yet, I am a firm solid believer that for one to be saved, 'belief' must be followed by [OBEDIENCE!] Acts 5:32

John,

You seem to be able to offer much criticism of the beliefs of others, yet incapable of addressing the questions posed that don't agree with yours. Seems a bit unfair to judge others by 'your' standards in 'theology' without being able to show that they are any more or less in understanding than you yourself are. If you have answers to the questions that I pose, answer them. Perhaps your answers will be the key to my 'understanding'. Or........

I KNOW that Christ ia a 'part' of God. That, to me, does not make Him God. We are a 'part' of Christ, but that does NOT make us Christ. God tells us who Christ is. Christ tells us who He is. The apostles told us who He is. I only know of one other source that has had any other influence on the beliefs of a 'set in concrete' theology. And I know that these were the ones that created this 'idea' of Christ AS God. God told us, Christ told us, and His apostles told us that Christ IS the Son of God. Hard to believe that God could fault me for accepting His Word over the words of men.

I am well aware of where the teaching that Christ IS God came from and why it has been perpetuated for these last seventeen hundred years. However, it was NOT always so.

And John, Christ has forgiven me for my short-comings, why can't you?

I strongly believe the early Jews knew exactly what Jesus was talking about when He claimed sonship with God. The bible is a very Jewish book. Jesus used Jewish culture many times to make a point. We gentiles, not knowing or living that culture, would have some difficulty understanding illustration based on Jewish customs.
Another thing is the prophets, voicing that which God told them to say, would preface His will with "Thus saith the Lord" etc. But notice that though Christ tells us He speaks only what the Father tells him to say He never does that. He never says "The Father saith". It's "I tell you a truth" or "Verily, verily I say unto you" etc. There's a huge difference here. Sometimes the way someone says something is as important as what's said.

Christ's humanity is something we focus on quite a bit. And with good reason, "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us." We can totally relate to that.
Christ struggled with His own humanity but always relied on scripture, the Father's testimony, as seen with the temptations of Satan but especially in the garden of Gethsemane praying that his fate be taken from Him. Yet, He says not by my will but thine.
Two fine examples for us.
Christ was God incarnate, God in the flesh with the same "humanness" as we. But Christ's focus was on the Father and not his well being.
Emanuel, "God with us".
If Jesus isn't God then we willfully break the very first of the ten commandments for then we worship another besides the Father.
Many believe God judges us and rightly so for Christ is God incarnate. We see in:
John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
How can this be reconciled with other scripture that the Father is the ultimate judge of all things especially in the OT as voiced by the prophets?

Imagican said:
John,

You seem to be able to offer much criticism of the beliefs of others, yet incapable of addressing the questions posed that don't agree with yours. Seems a bit unfair to [judge others] by 'your' standards in 'theology' without being able to show that they are any more or less in understanding than you yourself are. If you have answers to the questions that I pose, answer them. Perhaps your answers will be the key to my 'understanding'. Or........

I KNOW that Christ ia a 'part' of God. That, to me, does not make Him God. We are a 'part' of Christ, but that does NOT make us Christ. God tells us who Christ is. Christ tells us who He is. The apostles told us who He is. I only know of one other source that has had any other influence on the beliefs of a 'set in concrete' theology. And I know that these were the ones that created this 'idea' of Christ AS God. God told us, Christ told us, and His apostles told us that Christ IS the Son of God. Hard to believe that God could fault me for accepting His Word over the words of men.

I am well aware of where the teaching that Christ IS God came from and why it has been perpetuated for these last seventeen hundred years. However, it was NOT always so.

And John, Christ has forgiven me for my short-comings, why can't you?

John here: You need to use scripture for the above 'post' for it to be anything other than shallow & hollow as seen by me, & you might post the post where [you have ever been judged by me???] I reply to a post, I do not know the [person] or the mind doing the posting, or what 'might' be in the mind. Nor do I want to!

Imagican said:
Revelation 3:14

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

I take it that you don't see this as a statement confessing that Christ was the 'first' of God's creation? Another no, and double no? Now who is picking and selecting what they choose to 'believe' and disregarding that which doesn't agree with their theology?
You should be very careful when making such statements, especially when you apparently haven't studied Rev. 3:14 very thoroughly.

"These things says the Amen". Isaiah 65:16 states, "He who blesses himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth. And he who swears in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former distresses are forgotten; and because they are hidden from My eyes."

"God of truth" is also literally "God the Amen." The word for "amen" is used there, so there is good reason to believe that this is what is being referred to in Rev. 3:14 and all the Jews would have realized the connection.

"The beginning of God's creation". This needs to be understood in light of Col. 1:15-17 and John 1:1-3:

Col 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
Col 1:16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him.
Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Rev. 3:14 isn't saying that Jesus is the first creature, the first created thing, rather that he is the beginner of creation, the One through whom "all things" were created; Christ was the instrument of all creation.

The argument can also be made that the word for "beginning," arche, also means "origin," "ruler," "leader," "the active cause".

Regardless, this verse does nothing against trinitarianism and may actually support it more than anything, especially when seen in the light of supporting Scripture. In the very least, it makes no statement whatsoever about the nature of God.

And as potluck pointed out, "the early Jews knew exactly what Jesus was talking about when He claimed sonship with God." This is clearly seen in John 10:33-36:

Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, "It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God."
Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I said, you are gods'?
Joh 10:35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came--and Scripture cannot be broken--
Joh 10:36 do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'?

The Jews realized the difference between the biblical reference to "sons of God" and Jesus' claim to be the Son of God. This claim made Jesus equal with God, it made him God.

One really shouldn't accuse people of picking and choosing what they want to believe and "disregarding that which doesn't agree with their theology" when that person is taking one verse and divorcing it from the whole of Scripture to support their belief. As I have stated many times, trinitarianism at least attempts to take in account all that Holy Scripture reveals about the nature of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Every other theology I have seen so far does not do this, clearly ignoring what doesn't fit.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back